Hi there,

I have a new Gibson les paul studio with a 498T in the bridge. My amp is a Laney VC-15, which I can get pretty JCM-800-ish sounding with my bad monkey.

My problem is, I want to produce a tone like zakk wylde's in this clip: sold my soul , but I can't get the pinch harmonics with the 498T (it's not my technique, I hear the harmonics when playing my guitar unplugged). So, I have 3 options:

- keep the 498T (this is only an option if the problem lies with the amp, not with the pickup)
- take the warthog out of my ****ty Cort and put it in the les paul
- take a neck motherbucker from mighty mite (great, really really hot pickup) and stick it in the bridge

The mighty mite is really hot, the neck humbucker measures 17.6K resistance. The thing I'm wondering is, will a neck humbucker work in the bridge, aka, wil it sound like a weaker version of the bridge equivalent?

So what do you guys think is the problem and what is the best solution?
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
If it's not your technique, I'd say it's your amp. Remember that the VC15 is quite vintage voiced, so it's not going to get the tight, high-gain sounds that an actual JCM800 would get. You could always put the Warthog in the SG anyway, because it's a nice pickup, but I don't think that a pickup change would make the biggest difference.
I get pinch harmonics all over the place with my 498T and SG. Sounds like an EQ problem. I know you said its not your technique but if I were you I would keep trying.
So what would be the better pickup in a les paul, the 498T or the warthog? I want to be able to get a nice lead tone (hard rock bordering on zakk wylde like in the clip in my first post).
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Laney VC-15
I think I will try to rewire my entire les paul, because I really want to hear how the 498T sounds with 500K pots and treble bleed mods.
Gear:
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Laney VC-15