I'm currently doing some coursework and studying the classical guitar (Nylon stringed), and i just want to know what you think makes the classical guitar so good? why do you play it for example, or what effect has it had in your life/other peoples lives? what makes the classical guitar so important from other musical instraments?

cheers

ed
The tone of the classical guitar is the softest and most melodious of all guitars, IMO...

The strings are so incredibly soft and mellow that they produce the most dulcet tones possible, yet on a well-made classical guitar, are still able to project themselves in quite a loud and powerful manner.

On a good classical guitar, I have much more control over color and dynamics than I do over the same quality steel-string guitar. To me, steel string guitars are, while having their own incredibly beautiful sounds of course, too bright and "metallic" to really offer the range of control that nylon strings offer.

The endeavor of classical guitar is an honestly proud one: it's tradition spreads over many centures, cultures, and lands. To be a professional guitarist is to embrace all these different regions and influences while having the quiet dignity of a musical expert.
My God, it's full of stars!
Yeah, what Jon said adding that:

Classical guitar isn't more or less better than any other instruments. It's just another one.

It makes music and that's the important thing. You can't say that an instrument is better than another because they are both doing something beautiful in their own way. That's the where the key to tolerance is. It's in the realization that music is a universal language and nothing can break or undue that.

When I realized this is when I really started to discover that you can't class an instrument as a "so and so" guitar. I mean, you physically can, but on an let's say level inside our mind a guitar is a guitar, just like a cello is a cello and a kazoo is a kazoo. All of there make music, however good bad(in your opinion of course) or how complicated or simple it is, it's music. You can't separate music from music.

At lest these are my most recent feelings...
Related to this topic, I would like to add that for classical guitar you need to choose a good quality instrument....and yes it's also true for the steel string acoustic, but it is even more crucial in the case of the classical guitar.

The reason I say this is for personal experience. I made the mistake of purchasing an entry level Dean nylon string package (for $99 ) and it just did not sound right; especially the higher notes had a mandolin-like sound. Correct me if I am wrong on this but I guess you need to spend more initially on a higher quality instrument if you want to study classical guitar...

Chhers!!
Quote by jazz_webman
Related to this topic, I would like to add that for classical guitar you need to choose a good quality instrument....and yes it's also true for the steel string acoustic, but it is even more crucial in the case of the classical guitar.

The reason I say this is for personal experience. I made the mistake of purchasing an entry level Dean nylon string package (for $99 ) and it just did not sound right; especially the higher notes had a mandolin-like sound. Correct me if I am wrong on this but I guess you need to spend more initially on a higher quality instrument if you want to study classical guitar...

Chhers!!

Well there are many entry and student-level classical guitars. They do, as a general principle however, tend to sell for a much higher price at the professional and performance level than all other guitars due to the fact that, at such a high level, they are all hand-made by extremely talented and well-known luthiers.
My God, it's full of stars!
yeah jon and confusius pretty much summed it up, but as far as its effect on my life; my friends think it's pretty gay but they just don't like classical music in general (pretty much all of them listen to rap) my parents sometimes find the stuff i play boring but other times they want to show me off to there friends and our family. But im not doing it for anyone else but myself so they really don't affect me
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
I believe that all instruments have something to contribute to the musical world, so I am not downing them to any extent, but the classical guitar is something special for me because it really goes back to the beginnings of the great instrument that we call guitar, any type of music or variation of the intrument. Before any other styles existed, the classical guitar and its predecessors were the beginnings of it all, the development of the techniques that even rock guitarists used can be traced back through time. When I play something that transcribed from the lute, for example, which actually has a very different origin than the guitar, I keep thinking, my gosh, someone wrote this in the 16th century!!! And here i am playing it now, 450 years later!!
Michael Ferris
ferrisguitar.com