Hi,

I have posted here before about finding settings for this amp. I have got a really dialed in tone I like, I have used the patch lead drick with the effects loop, but what can I do to dial out some of the fizzyness.

I love the clean channel, that great, the od1 to me has little purpose as I play metal mainly, but the od2 channel just busses and fizzes all over the place, would an eq pedal sort this? and od pedal?

Any ideas would be gratefully welcomed, I have searched through other threads but to no avail
Fender Texas Special Strat
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
Sounds like a new amp would be the best solution. An EQ pedal _might_ help, but probably won't. You could also try a distortion pedal on the clean channel or something.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Why would you suggest a new amp?

Check that its a good quality patch cable - gold plated is usually best. If its from the guitar signal, have a look into a Noise Gate such as the ISP decimator.

The OD and EQ pedal should help you get the right tone - probably just teh OD would do and leave the patch cable out.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
A speaker change apparently fixes that problem with the DSL. Check out this comparison on between the stock speaker and a Celestion Vintage 30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bwIwsP-d9g

I think the Vintage 30 sounds better but is still a bit piercing in the treble range. A Celestion G12H-30 or an Eminence Governor might be better options. (Apparently the governor is their take on a Vintage 30 but with smoother highs.)
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Does it fix it, or merely lower it quite a bit?

I'm not really interested in putting money into my DSL401 unless it cuts the fizz substantially. As for the shrillness of it, perhaps a tube swap would help? I keep the treble way low, it can get painful if you turn it up.

I think I'll just save the pennies for an ENGL Screamer, though.
i don't define myself by what silly groups i join.
Quote by mck_776
Why would you suggest a new amp?

Check that its a good quality patch cable - gold plated is usually best. If its from the guitar signal, have a look into a Noise Gate such as the ISP decimator.

The OD and EQ pedal should help you get the right tone - probably just teh OD would do and leave the patch cable out.

Meh, just realised he did say he had dialed in a "great tone". But anyway, he says he likes the cleans, but OD2 is just fizzy and buzzy all around. And he plays a lot of metal. So -> new amp would be good.

However, if he likes the tone, then ignore the new amp thing.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I have listened to that clip before and I may be deaf but i can;t hear much difference in the sound, in fact virtually none
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
Meh, the JCM2000 in general is a fizzy amp IMO, ive tried it with a variety of guitars and in the end I found my OD/dist from the Jekyll and Hyde was better sounding on its own rather than the amps own OD.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
its fizzy no way round it.

Not completely true, you'd be so surprised at what a tube and speaker change could do, it takes almost all of the fizzy qualities out of it,
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
It is a generally fizzy amp, a tube and speaker change is your best bet. And if you can't hear the difference in that clip you must be deaf!
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
I got it used, the guy said one of the pre-amp tubes went and he just got that one fixed, is there any particular tube that is good for it. I heard the VC30 was a good speaker, but then are there any others.

The fizzyness only occurs when I use the od on the amp. Does that mean if i get an od pedal and run it on the clean channel that the fizzyness will also be removed?
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
DSL401s have poor stock valves, a MG speaker, and a dodgy design, as well as dodgy tone. What you should do is get a JJ Gold 12AX7 in V1, whack an Eminence Private Jack in, and turn it up. The amp sounds good when cranked, but when quiet it's naff.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Eminence Private Jack ? Whats that?
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
Damn good advice there by MrCarrot...take heed,TS.
Also, may I suggest using an overdrive pedal a bit more fequently, since preamp gain is by nature pretty fizzy. The fizziness tends to decrease the more you crank your amp, so using a decent OD pedal is usually the best option if you play mostly at mid to low volumes.
Quote by turkish_bathmat
I got it used, the guy said one of the pre-amp tubes went and he just got that one fixed, is there any particular tube that is good for it. I heard the VC30 was a good speaker, but then are there any others.

The fizzyness only occurs when I use the od on the amp. Does that mean if i get an od pedal and run it on the clean channel that the fizzyness will also be removed?

I'm no tube expert but surely if he had the tube replaced, he should have replaced all the tubes? Whatever, it's probably a good idea to do so. Also, the VC30 is an amp, so just to correct you for future use, V30 is the speaker.

And as to the OD on the amp, if you're considering running it clean and using a pedal for OD, there's practically no point in having a tube amp if you're going to replace the main reason why you buy it, for it's natural sounding overdrive. If you think a speaker and tube change will fix your problem, go for it. If not, ditch the amp, forget the JCM2000 series (which is, as already said, born quite fizzy), and get something else that doesn't sound that way.

As I say, running a Marshall amp clean with an OD is like spreading crumbs on toast. It already has it.
To be fair I got the amp uber cheap second hand so I am happy to spend a little bit of money on it. It seems to divide opinion seeing as some say new tubes and speaker will sort out the fizzyness, and other seem to suggest it will always be fizzy, I am still unsure on what this private jack think is though
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
Quote by kyle62
Damn good advice there by MrCarrot...take heed,TS.
Also, may I suggest using an overdrive pedal a bit more fequently, since preamp gain is by nature pretty fizzy. The fizziness tends to decrease the more you crank your amp, so using a decent OD pedal is usually the best option if you play mostly at mid to low volumes.

TS, try using the crunch channel, and put your OD in front of the amp. Put the level on the pedal upto max, turn the gain down, and adjust tone to fatten it up a bit. That's the trick people like Trivium use to get gain from Marshalls.
Eminence Private Jack is a speaker, very similar to a Celestion G12M Greenback but higher wattage. It's nice and fat with nice lower mids, and it just screams rock. They (Greenbacks) were used in the original Marshall cabs, I believe.
Nice Mr Carrot, I really appreciate your advice, I now just have to figure out what OD pedal to get for that, I used to have a marshall guvnor, but sold it. I guess when you say the crunch channel you mean just the od1 channel as opposed to the boosted od2 channel
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
Yeah OD1. If you have a tight budget but want a nice OD just to try out, I highly recommend a Digitech Bad Monkey. Awesome tone for the price, built like a tank, incredibly reliable, and dirt cheap at either £32 from GAK (UK) or $50 from MF (US). I got one and it's probably the best value for money pedal ever. Sounds very similar to Tubescreamers too, and it's better than the budget TS-7.
sweet, I just took the back off and checked out the speaker connections, I should be able to do that on my own no probs, would you say the eminence private jack is much better than the v30, I like playing hard rock and metal on my amp so the break up will be important. The reviews I have seen suggest its a good speaker, but no where could i find a comparison of the two
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
I also meant to say that the speaker is a celestion gold are they carp. I thought all celestions were good
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
The V30 is very metally and modern sounding, with a massive amount of treble and high mids, I don't really like it personally. It's pretty loud and piercing. Not good for anything but metal lead really IMO. The Private Jack is slightly more vintage-toned, with warmer low end and smoother highs, giving it good versatility.

You could also look into a Celestion G12 Century - It's got a neodymium magnet, so it's a very fast speaker response and also 1-2kgs lighter than a regular 12". Interesting tone, can't comment extensively on it though.

And that 'gold' is the same speaker as an MG contains. Not all Celestions are good - it's like saying "All marshalls are good" because of their rep, but you know they aren't all as good as you're lead to believe.
I suppose all this speaker stuff is subjective isn't it, I like classic rock, hard rock and metal, but not death or black metal, I really want a speaker that will do it all. I got rid of an avt275 I owned to get this amp, and I love the fact that it has a much richer tones, much smoother, but the fizz just needs to be damped a little bit for me to love it. I also did not have the money to buy something like an engl or the room to get a laney gh50 and cab.
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
I'll stand by what I said before, by buying an OD pedal to use on the Marshall's clean channel defeats the object of a tube amp like yours.
No I understand that, but I am assessing the options, I checked the tubes and they are all the same except one that has been replaced, but seeing as that won't be cheap I will perhaps start by changing the speaker
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
Anyone have an experience with the Man O War speaker from emminence, seems more suited to the style of music I play
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30