First off apologies if this has been done before, i have had a look around first.

I'm looking for a good quality amp to go with my Gibson LP. the following are my favourites so far:

Peavey Valveking 112 - £280
Laney VC30 112 - £305
Fender Blues Junior - £325

The music i like to play is Sabbath, Nirvana, Iron Maiden, Danzig, Metallica... also a bit of Beatles and maybe the odd bluesy track like early Elvis (missus hates it LOL).

I have listened to the Valveking and thought it sounded very good, not heard the other two but listening to peoples recommendations really.

Any help guys?

Obviously if there is something i've completely missed off the radar in the same price ballpark then please let me know.

Cheers
The VC30 could probably do Maiden and Metallica tones with a boost, whereas the Valveking could probably do them without. However, the VC30 is a much nicer amp overall, and so it would be worth getting that and an overdrive pedal rather than getting the Valveking. In my opinion, anyway.
The Laney out of that group, by far - more versatile and generally better than the others for any tones.

Look at the DSL401, maybe secondhand too
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Quote by Denthúl
The VC30 could probably do Maiden and Metallica tones with a boost, whereas the Valveking could probably do them without. However, the VC30 is a much nicer amp overall, and so it would be worth getting that and an overdrive pedal rather than getting the Valveking. In my opinion, anyway.

+1 valvekings are the same as a line 6 spider, they sound good until you get them home. Go with the laney get some good pedals and be a happy camper.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Depends, if you need it for gigging, I would go for the Blues Junior, but it probably won't do Metallica et al without a decent OD to give it a helping hand.

If not, then a Laney VC15 would be great value, rather than the VC30. With something like a Bad Monkey OD the VC15 would probably just get you into that kind of territory.

You might want to have a look around used, too. JCM900 combos go for around £350, and a Peavey Classic 30 would probably go for around the £300ish mark.

And there's also the Peavey Windsor Studio which is supposedly coming out in January time, and will probably be £200-300. Nobody really knows whether it's going to be great or not, but there's a lot of hype about it, it has lots of features and practical bits and bobs, and should sound good too. But as I say, nobody really knows. And I'm not sure whether anyone actually knows the release date, so keep your eyes and ears peeled for news on that one.

I really don't like the Valveking, by the way. Not at all good for £280..
^ I would say that the VC30, for gigging, would be a much better choice than the Blues Jr. It can get some of those tones on its own without having to be pushed, and has much nicer overdrive in my opinion.
Quote by Denthúl
^ I would say that the VC30, for gigging, would be a much better choice than the Blues Jr. It can get some of those tones on its own without having to be pushed, and has much nicer overdrive in my opinion.

Arr which is why I recommended an OD. The clean, blues and light rock tones are better on the BJ, IMO.

Priorities, innit.
The VC30 is the most versatile, and would do all of the bands with a boost (owns a VC30). You can get them for cheaper than £305 online too.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
so the sound difference between a VC30 and a VC15 is minimal?

I have a zoom effects pedal - GFX4 for overdrive etc..
Quote by rhcp_freak
You can get them for cheaper than £305 online too.

please do tell....
I'd recomend the Blues Junior with a good OD infront of it.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
tone-wise, laney hands down.

But it may struggle to get metallica etc, maybe with a good OD it can.
Quote by redneck516
+1 valvekings are the same as a line 6 spider, they sound good until you get them home. Go with the laney get some good pedals and be a happy camper.

Seriously, no.
Seriously, yes^

The VK is shabby in comparison to the other amps listed, the VC and the BJ are both MUCH better toned.
so it's looking like a VC30 then so far, any recommendations on a good place to buy from in the UK? or were my prices pretty good?
^ GAK ftw.

VC30s are nice, but remember they have a bit of a penchant for unreliability. VC30 and a PV C30 are the two main candidates you should be looking at.... VC30s seem very sensitive, and a C30 is very similar, but more reliable.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
never heard much about the classic 30, any one else recommend the classic? it seems roughly a ton or so more expensive then the vc30
They're very similar amps, I'd say the Peavey is a tad brighter overall though. I may well be getting a C30. They handle all the same stuff, really... The extra paid on the Peavey is because they ramp the price up a bit for the UK. I'd take either.... The C30 would probably be a lot more reliable though IMO.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i'd get the laney any day over those. The blues junior is a very bluesy-amp, whilst the VC is marshall voiced, which should cover older metallica nicely

koch studiotone????

I can't realli think of any realli good valve amps in that price bracket!

The blues junior will handle as the name suggests country to blues whilst the valveking is an alrite amp, you could do a lot better. In all possibly the laney, but I haven't heard it, but I have the other two.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Quote by PaleriderUK
never heard much about the classic 30, any one else recommend the classic? it seems roughly a ton or so more expensive then the vc30

It's a great amp in it's own right, but I doubt it's worth the price in the UK.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.