Ok my friend want to start playing guitar,im going to teach him.
But im not sure what would be a good guitar and amp for a $400 budget.
He loved mostly classic rock music.
Used Fat Strat and a Vox AD15VT.

It might be a little over your budget, but definitely the AD15VT is you want classic rock.

Maybe try some of Ibanez's GIO series? My GSA60 is fairly good and it was $200.
Squire Strat is a good guitar for a low price. Check out some of VOX's practice amps. They're good n' cheap.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
how about a low end ibanez?

is he going to need an amp with that?

a starter pack could be good. a lot of new guitarists tend to give up when they realize how hard it is to make progress, so i always reccomend cheap gear to start with. if they find they enjoy it after they have played for a few months, then its time to go get something decent. after a few years, custom/boutique stuff is the way to go.

that, however, is just my opinion though.
You could also try to get an affordable acoustic. I began on an acoustic, and I like the same type of music.
Quote by Guitargle
how about a low end ibanez?

is he going to need an amp with that?

a starter pack could be good. a lot of new guitarists tend to give up when they realize how hard it is to make progress, so i always reccomend cheap gear to start with. if they find they enjoy it after they have played for a few months, then its time to go get something decent. after a few years, custom/boutique stuff is the way to go.

that, however, is just my opinion though.

Usually that is because the guitar they are starting with, has a poor set-up and just overall bad quality. So a decent guitar that's easy to work on should be used, I would look into the Yamaha Pacifica or the Gigmaker. Learning on a guitar that is hard to play because of the action, and quality is just fustrating.

EDIT: As stated before vox amps are perfect for that classic rock tone, and for a modeling amp, it takes pedals fairly well if your friend wants to get one in the future for some reason.
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss DS-1 EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Behringer DD400 Digital Delay
Digitech Bad Monkey
Last edited by FenderBassist21 at Nov 12, 2007,
Quote by FenderBassist21
Usually that is because the guitar they are starting with, has a poor set-up and just overall bad quality. So a decent guitar that's easy to work on should be used, I would look into the Yamaha Pacifica or the Gigmaker.

nah, im pretty sure statistically, most guitarists dont last more than a couple months, regardless of the guitar they started out on.

i would agree that there is no point buying something completely useless, but there are some great starter kits, like the ibanez starter kits, that offer a reasonably priced, half decent guitar to start with.

personally, i started out on a classical acoustic, because it was the cheapest guitar in the store at the time. 6 years later, i have 4 guitars and a kickass amp. for someone who started out on a real crappy, poorly setup guitar, i didnt do too bad. mainly because i enjoyed the challenge. imo, as a beginner, they dont know the difference between a good guitar and a bad guitar. so it doesnt make that much of a difference. if they enjoy the challenge, they will soon discover that they want a better guitar. if they dont, they will give up, as most do.
I started on a really crapy guitar, and amp, and its now been 2 years...I think it doesnt matter what guitar thye get, it matters if they really want to learn, or if they are just fooling around.

edit: how about a g-400?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I started out on my step-fathers 10 watt Gorilla amp from 1982 and some type of Hohner that I can't even find anything about on the internet. It doesn't matter what you start out on as long as you're dedicated. Or atleast that's what I say.
Quote by FenderBassist21
\I would look into the Yamaha Pacifica or the Gigmaker.

I agree!