I've been playing guitar for 3 years, I can play pretty advanced solos, Mostly metallica, but I know next to nothing in theory. Basically i know bits and pieces and all i have to do is know how they all fit together, such as knowing how to go about composing a solo. I know the E minor Pentatonic, and E major pentatonic, and i can move the up and down the neck. But the rest is greek to me. Any suggestions
what you need to do is have a ganders at the music theory FAQ at the top of this forum.

the greek should then turn into English, with shades of Latin.

You can then refocus your shortfalls (the latin bits) into constructed queries which the nice fellows here at MT will be delighted to assist with!!!

i've been playing ten years, and feel like i know **** for theory. but i just keep trying to learn and memorize one new thing a day.
Quote by .smudged.
Sex is overrated, try World of Warcraft.
How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Just work at it little by little. Don't try to learn too much at a time.
If everything fails, get a teacher. If you see things being applied from scratch is soemtimes wya more obvious then a few examples in a book.
if your teaching yourself i suggest the same books i have:
"Music Theory: For Dummies"
and "Fretboard Mastery"

both of thes books teach an incredably amount of theory and in a really fun way .

The 1st book is general for all kinds of instrument. but the 2nd one is keyed in for "Gutiar-theory" and comes with a CD to give you ear training and teaches you everything possible needed to solo with a guitar. and the best part? THE AUTHOR IS A DIE-HARD SHREDDER!! :-D and so he gives you his own songs as examples to stuff. great for rock and metal music (and jazz people alike with the ear training and all the fun scale talk and soloing with them)

And it never hurts to get a teacher. i taught myself as much as i could in 2 1/2 years then i got a teacher. with him i excelled faster than i could have possibly done on my own.
Quote by vikramkr
I am trying to shred using power chords
Last edited by Wolfbite718 at Nov 12, 2007,
I'd say start by learning notation and note names, and then work into the major scale.

And I second MT for Dummies.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by Wolfbite718
if your teaching yourself i suggest the same books i have:
"Music Theory: For Dummies"
and "Fretboard Mastery"

both of thes books teach an incredably amount of theory and in a really fun way .

The 1st book is general for all kinds of instrument. but the 2nd one is keyed in for "Gutiar-theory" and comes with a CD to give you ear training and teaches you everything possible needed to solo with a guitar. and the best part? THE AUTHOR IS A DIE-HARD SHREDDER!! :-D and so he gives you his own songs as examples to stuff. great for rock and metal music (and jazz people alike with the ear training and all the fun scale talk and soloing with them)

And it never hurts to get a teacher. i taught myself as much as i could in 2 1/2 years then i got a teacher. with him i excelled faster than i could have possibly done on my own.

Where might I find those books?