whats the diff between the basswood and an alder body? does it affect the sound it produces in any way? i just got myself a jackson dx10d...so i was just curious thanks in advance
^ so if Basswood is a cheap version of Alder (in tonal qualities) why does everyone say Alder isn't a great wood for humbucker etc. Yet people put EMG's in their Ibanez's?

EDIT: Asking GB&C will get you more wise answers
You cant just say its a cheaper Alder, both woods have their uses and their own distinct tone. Yes Basswood is cheaper but its not necessarily any better or worse than alder. Its just different.

Id go to the warmoth site and read up on the tonal qualities of all the different woods out there.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by Guitargle
basswood is like a cheap ass version of alder.
Why do you feed people false information?
Maple
Ash (of many varieties)
Alder - Bright
Basswood
Mahogany - Dark
Korina

Its very middle of the road between mahogany and alder really, some say its cheap and it sucks becasue they're retarded and don't know stuff Its a very good wood, but I'm an alder man.
tonal qualities are different in every wood, in fact, every individual piece of wood. alder shines through because of its durability, and the fact it finishes better. all these things are taken into account when companies buy wood, as well as cost effectiveness, and then weighed up in a "quality vs profit margin" kind of way.

and EMG's are active pickups.. it doesnt much matter what guitar you put them in, you wont hear much of the guitars tone behind it anyway. the same can be said when using effects pedals, the more circuits the tone has to travel through, the more it changes.
Basswood has a darker sound than alder. Alder is much brighter and tighter than basswood, so has a more 'spanky' sound.
Basswood is much lighter, is more varied in quality(and sound changes quite a bit between samples) and is a lot looser but darker than alder.

Even with actve pickups, the woood does change the sound unlike whatltos of people say. You won't hear the tnal difference as much, but you can hear it deffinitely between woods like alder and basswood.

If your into thrash and any form of rock, you'll want alder. If your into slightly heavier metal you'd want basswood
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
great! thanks for the info guys..i have another question...in any of ur experiences what pickup would go great with the basswood? i was thinking one of the SD's...thoughts?
Quote by balboala
great! thanks for the info guys..i have another question...in any of ur experiences what pickup would go great with the basswood? i was thinking one of the SD's...thoughts?

dimarzios like suggested. You want something a little bright so as not too get too muddy.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
One of the pro's to alder imo is its durability, and fairly neutral if slightly trebly tone. Basswood tends to have a rather muffled tone without a lot of character, and thus is better suited for high output pickups with well defined EQs (EMG 81, DiMarzio Tone Zone come to mind) that tend to use less on the woods tone and more on the tone of the amp and pickup, which helps make up for it. Basswood is also a pretty soft wood to boot, and is comparatively fragile in my experience. Alder works well with any pickup, though be careful with pickups with lots of treble and mids, like the Duncan JB, as it can be a bit shrill, though it tends to work really well for 80s metal. Otherwise it is a very well balanced and durable wood.

Now, as for pickups, I would point you more towards high output pickups like EMGs, DiMarzio Evo, Tone Zone or Breed, and Seymour Duncan Blackouts or JB for basswood. For alder, also look into the Distortion and JB, but be sure you like the soudn of the JB in it first, as its not for everyone.