I've had a look in the search, and there doesn't appear to be any other threads on this, so here we go!

How's everyone doing with it? I'm playing as Newcastle, managed to finish 6th in the first year, signed Nicolas Anelka, Leonardo Ponzio, Nani, and Gonzalo Rodriguez to supplement my team for the second season and we're now having a decent crack at the top 4. Here's how my first team looks at the moment:

Given
Beye
Enrique
Taylor
Gonzalo
Nani
N'Zogbia
Ponzio
Emre
Anelka
Martins/Owen

I found Viduka was pretty useless. Scored 2 goals in his first 15 starts so he was benched for the rest of the season once Owen was back. Smith actually was a fairly decent striker, but I sold him in January in the second season for £5m as he never got a game with Anelka, Owen and Martins all fit and firing.

I also figured a recommended players list would be good, so here's all the decent finds I've had in my one game. I'll edit them into this post if you give me all the details. Here's the format:

[B]Name[/B] - 
[B]Position[/B] - 
[B]Age[/B] - 
[B]Nationality[/B] - 
[B]Original Club[/B] - 
[B]Fee Signed For[/B] - 
[B]Comments[/B] -

Name - Leonardo Ponzio
Position - DM/MRC
Age - 26
Nationality - Argentina
Original Club - River
Fee Signed For - £5.5m
Comments - Top quality DM, adapts well to the English game, pops up with the odd goal too.

Name - Patrik Lomski
Position - AMRL/ST
Age - 18
Nationality - Finland
Original Club - Turun Palloseura
Fee Signed For - Free
Comments - Decent young striker, develops into a Finland international. Would be a good signing for a mid-table Championship club.

Name - Diego Capel
Position - AML
Age - 19
Nationality - Spain
Original Club - Sevilla
Fee Signed For - £3.6m
Comments - This guy becomes the best left winger in the game. Or you can make a nice fat profit on him over the course of just one season. He played 4 games for me, sold him the next summer for £13m to Derby of all people.
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.
Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Starscream
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
you sold Smith! he is the dogs on that game.

Martins and Owen up front for me can't stop scroing, only in the first season though so only signed one guy called Cani.

I agree Vidukas garbage.
That game hates me >.>

Never ever lets me win although i did hit a run of form.

I'll have to go back on it again, i'll have teams and what not one day

Quality game though
Yeah he's good, but when you have Anelka, Owen and Martins all over a goal every 2 games he's not gunna get in! I think I overkilled slightly on the right wing, I've got Giles Barnes, Nani, Milner and Geremi there..
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.

Starscream
I get pissed when I lose and when I win it's never good enough.

That game is bad for me.
Haha. Whenever a new FM comes out I usually spend about a month swearing at the tactics screen trying to make something work, but not this time. I think they've got it spot on in this game, so long as you do something sensible it'll work alright. Whereas on the other ones, if you didn't have the tactics bang on you'd get hammered every time.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.

Starscream
I am utterly useless at this game. ive got the 2007 version, and I have been promoted once (as Stirling Albion, but they got promoted in real life too with the same squad, so thats not really a feat) and the other leagues i keep getting romped by diddy clubs in, and give up. I think my tactics are wrong (4-4-2, direct passing, lowish tempo, high agression, man marking defence and zonal everywhere else, defence pushed way back). Any ideas of better tactics?
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
Depends what kind of players you have in your team. Though usually I'd say the more direct the passing you're using, the higher tempo you should use. I generally use 4-4-2 slightly defensive, with normal tempo, short passing, normal tackling, slightly higher than normal closing down, slightly deeper than normal defence. The key to making tactics work on 2007 is to use individual instructions. Basically, you look at the player you have in that position, and then tailor their individual instructions to their stats. So if you have a winger who has great dribbling, pace, and flair, but awful crossing, tell them to make forward runs and run with the ball often, but cross rarely. This will mean they'll look for a pass to either the full back or inside to a midfielder to deliver the final ball.

I'd recommend taking a team like Atletico Madrid (good team, relatively low expectations) and playing around with tactics for a couple of seasons.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.

Starscream
Quote by twowheels
I am utterly useless at this game. ive got the 2007 version, and I have been promoted once (as Stirling Albion, but they got promoted in real life too with the same squad, so thats not really a feat) and the other leagues i keep getting romped by diddy clubs in, and give up. I think my tactics are wrong (4-4-2, direct passing, lowish tempo, high agression, man marking defence and zonal everywhere else, defence pushed way back). Any ideas of better tactics?

Fire counter attack on aswell can't harm. It's always harder with smaller clubs no money and all. If I went Stirling Albion you can gurantee my computer would be in serious danger.
Counter attack can screw you over if your players have poor first touch/passing. Cause you'll try and break quickly but just give the ball straight back to the opposition and invite more pressure.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.

Starscream