Topic. What's the difference? How do they affect sound/sustain/intonation/etc. Or do they, rather.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

graphites nice it lubes the string makes intonation better as well as sustain because the string slides through smoother
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Alright... how do I go applying a new nut, and removing my current one? My Agile AL-3100 came stock with a bone nut on it, with an extra graphite nut. I don't want to royally screw this guitar up, anyone have any suggestions before I go about doing this?
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220

Bone was the way to go a long time ago. Some still like them. I dont think they do to well with wammys tho. Graphite is the way to go if you want a wammy to stay in tune. They usually arent to hard to take out. There is a little bit of glue but mostly so it wont fall out. If its the LP style at the end of the fret board, then just smack it with something and it should come right out. The strat style are in a slot you smack them to but pushing it to one side of the fret board. The way to smack it is put something solid up against it and hit that with something. Just gotta be careful when you do it.
Ya you just got to knowck it out, just be a little careful to not damge the neck or anything. Then sand the excess glue out and then glue the new one on. If its not slotted already then you will have to slot it. Which is better left to a pro because it isnt easy
It's already slotted, it came with my Agile. How can I be 100% sure that it's graphite? And will superglue work for installing the new nut?
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

Quote by Tackleberry
Bone was the way to go a long time ago. Some still like them. I dont think they do to well with wammys tho. Graphite is the way to go if you want a wammy to stay in tune.

As long as the nut is properly cut and well lubricated, it doesn't really matter what material it is (within reason, obviously).
Well, sometimes when I'm tuning I get almost like... a clot when tuning the string higher. It's not just on one tuner, I think I've it happen on two of them, A and G I think. Could that mean the strings slipping in the nut or something?

Also, if graphite nuts are self lubricated, it would kind of make sense to me that they would wear down... how true is this, if it all?
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

Quote by sg-rocker173
Well, sometimes when I'm tuning I get almost like... a clot when tuning the string higher. It's not just on one tuner, I think I've it happen on two of them, A and G I think. Could that mean the strings slipping in the nut or something?

Do you hear a *ping*? It's your strings sticking in the nut slots.
Yeah. Is that a sign that I should switch to my graphite nut?
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

Quote by sg-rocker173

There is an easier solution: next time you re-string your guitar get a pencil and basically draw in the nut slots, it's basically coating the nut with graphite and should be as effective without having to spend more than about £0.20 on a pencil.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by mr_hankey
As long as the nut is properly cut and well lubricated, it doesn't really matter what material it is (within reason, obviously).

Cheese might work quite well. It would cut and mould naturally.

Mould as in the string on the cheese, not the cheese going mouldy...
I already have a graphite nut though, slotted and everything, looks fairly identical to the bone nut that's on my guitar right now. In fact, it came with my guitar, it should be fitted perfectly.
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

Quote by sg-rocker173

Or that it needs lubrication.
So why do some use bone nuts instead of graphite since graphite seems like it should be superior at first glance? And also what about tusq nuts, I just put on a tusq nut on my g400 and it seems good but i was thinking about using some teflon lubricant on it.
Quote by yoyodunno
So why do some use bone nuts instead of graphite since graphite seems like it should be superior at first glance? And also what about tusq nuts, I just put on a tusq nut on my g400 and it seems good but i was thinking about using some teflon lubricant on it.

Looks?

Quote by Don_Humpador
Cheese might work quite well. It would cut and mould naturally.

Mould as in the string on the cheese, not the cheese going mouldy...

Oh, and stfu.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Nov 12, 2007,
The Tusq is like the graphite self lubricating. Havent used em yet bought some blank ones to try as getting ones slotted for left hand guitars isnt possible. I guess after a long time the graphite one would wear down. Not any faster than a plastic one would. Some people swear by the old bone nut. The tone purists say it sounds different. So its just preference. I know there another kind out now slip stone, dont know what its made out of. Something like tusq I would imagine.
Quote by yoyodunno

Personal taste. James Hetfield uses Bone nuts on all his guitars. and im sure he has the money for graphite its all what you like