Page 1 of 3
Well, with Oink and Demonoid both gone and Albumbase being kaputz, who do you think will be next in this long line of destruction?

BTW,
In an interstellar burst! I am back to save the universe...
anything form mininova to the whole goddamn P2P and bit torrent networks!!!
Quote by zappp
Sammi-Ellen is my australian (wish i had aborted) daughter!!
I don't know, and frankly don't really care. The only other torrent site I care about is TPB and that site is never going to die. I will admit I was crushed when Demonoid went down. That was such a great site.

Quote by _Mayday_
It's a huge Crackdown, minus the 'roided-up Agent.

Impressive ascent agent!
Last edited by happytimeharry at Nov 12, 2007,
Its not long now until there all down. I would stop downloading now as well, unless its from somewhere like iTunes.

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by happytimeharry
I don't know, and frankly don't really care. The only other torrent site I care about is TPB and that site is never going to die. I will admit I was crushed when Demonoid went down. That was such a great site.

Yeah I'm always fearing that TPB will go down any day, but they've been pretty well protected.

However, Oink destroyed my motivation and my hope
Quote by Amalgam
Yeah I'm always fearing that TPB will go down any day, but they've been pretty well protected.

However, Oink destroyed my motivation and my hope

Trust me, TPB will never be fully destroyed. Pirates are like cockroaches and operate in terrorist cells. When one goes down, another springs up to take its place.
Quote by Craigo
Serves you dirty pirates right.

Haha, haha, haha, haha...

EDIT: Seriously, soon as a means of your thievery is stopped, I'm happy.

I've had this argument way too many times to do it again so I'll just say NO, you're wrong, and leave it at that.
There's still lots of torrent sites up. Just not as fast as Demonoid.
Trent Reznor used Oink....he put my opinion into words pretty nicely

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/10/trent_reznor_and_saul_williams.html

"At the end of the day, what made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store. Pretty much anything you could ever imagine, it was there, and it was there in the format you wanted. If OiNK cost anything, I would certainly have paid, but there isn't the equivalent of that in the retail space right now. iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc. Amazon has potential, but none of them get around the issue of pre-release leaks. And that's what's such a difficult puzzle at the moment. If your favorite band in the world has a leaked record out, do you listen to it or do you not listen to it? People on those boards, they're grateful for the person that uploaded it — they're the hero. They're not stealing it because they're going to make money off of it; they're stealing it because they love the band. I'm not saying that I think OiNK is morally correct, but I do know that it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
Last edited by The Spoon at Nov 12, 2007,
Quote by Amalgam
I've had this argument way too many times to do it again so I'll just say NO, you're wrong, and leave it at that.

I'm sure I'm not the first to say THOU SHALL NOT STEAL
Quote by Craigo
I'm sure I'm not the first to say THOU SHALL NOT STEAL

*sigh*

This is why I don't want to get into this argument.
Quote by Amalgam
*sigh*

This is why I don't want to get into this argument.

At the end of the day, you are using a means to steal. I can't think of any society where stealing is acceptable.

People work only too hard to get their money's worth, give them their worth.
Quote by Craigo
At the end of the day, you are using a means to steal. I can't think of any society where stealing is acceptable.

The people who work "too hard to get their money's worth" don't get their worth from CDs. The people getting the money are the owners of the labels, who don't do anything to support the artists or the music.
Quote by Craigo

You, along with all these record companies are fundamentally flawed in their argument that they believe each download to be a lost sale.

I wouldn't pay upto £15 for an album. I'd just go without.
When you "steal" using oink or any of the others, you're stealing from people who REALLY ARE stealing - money, that is. And yes, stealing the CD is to a lesser extent, stealing money as well. Just less direct. BUT, you're basicly fighting a corrupt system. Its a good thing. You're fighting the man.
We're only strays.
Just pay for the music?

It seems pretty fair to me. You make something worth selling and if people like it they buy it. I don't understand what's difficult to understand about that.

People claim all the time that they'll download an album and if they like it buy it. Nobody actually does that, they download it and then keep it if it's good. They use it as an excuse to keep torrent sites open. Just find another means to listen to the music. Myspace has a site for almost every band nowadays. Listen to the music there and if you like it buy the album. I don't see what's particularly unfair about that. I'm pretty sure if you were making music that was worth selling, you'd get annoyed at people ripping you off.

Props to Radiohead though. What they did in terms of the $0-$5 thing was genius. Maybe if more bands did that, I'd be willing to accept music downloading of wholesale albums.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Quote by sixteen times
You, along with all these record companies are fundamentally flawed in their argument that they believe each download to be a lost sale.

Indeed.

I have no time for arguing so I'm going to use yours and others' for now.
Quote by Derigiberble
Just pay for the music?

It seems pretty fair to me. You make something worth selling and if people like it they buy it. I don't understand what's difficult to understand about that.

People claim all the time that they'll download an album and if they like it buy it. Nobody actually does that, they download it and then keep it if it's good. They use it as an excuse to keep torrent sites open. Just find another means to listen to the music. Myspace has a site for almost every band nowadays. Listen to the music there and if you like it buy the album. I don't see what's particularly unfair about that. I'm pretty sure if you were making music that was worth selling, you'd get annoyed at people ripping you off.

Props to Radiohead though. What they did in terms of the $0-$5 thing was genius. Maybe if more bands did that, I'd be willing to accept music downloading of wholesale albums.

I don't what kind of people you hang out with, but I BUY all the albums I like that I download off the internet.
Quote by Amalgam
I don't what kind of people you hang out with, but I BUY all the albums I like that I download off the internet.

You're looking at yourself as an example. Nobody using deminoid or oink pays to download the music. If you use itunes then fine, you're playing for a song. Downloading torrents isn't paying for music, it's just taking what you want for free. The world doesn't work like that.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Quote by happytimeharry
Impressive ascent agent!

I love it when you jump around randomly, perhaps onto a small house, and he's all like 'Good job agent, I can see my house from here' and I thought 'If I'm standing on your house, then... yeah, maybe'.

A great glitch-thing.
Quote by Craigo

if i buy their cd more money goes to the pocket of the record company's who dont deserve all the money they are getting.

If i dont buy their cd, i can afford to go to their concerts, where they get a bigger slice of the profits.

doesnt seem like stealing to me

Oh and also, maybe if iTunes sold music that wasn't at such a low bitrate more people would buy it.
People complain about record company's getting money. Yeah maybe they do get too much, but at the end of the day it's an economy. The record company's promote, record and distribute the band's music, not to mention supply them with endless tours and gigs. If it wasn't for record company's we wouldn't have a successful music industry. Yeah they take too much money, but most of it goes back into promoting the band anyway.
Quote by CornLord

Quote by Derigiberble
You're looking at yourself as an example. Nobody using deminoid or oink pays to download the music. If you use itunes then fine, you're playing for a song. Downloading torrents isn't paying for music, it's just taking what you want for free. The world doesn't work like that.

Perhaps you didn't read what I just wrote correctly.

Try again Sherlock.

/I'm the TS, figure it out.

BTW, the idea of Try before you Buy Applies to me.

If I listen and like, I might actually go to Borders and buy the damn thing.
Those making the argument that "the money doesn't go to the band, it goes to the label who don't do enough to support the artist" are idiots.

The money goes to the record label because they pay out for the recording and production of the music. So the band's share of CD profits go to the record label to reimberse them for paying for the band's recording sessions.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
Those making the argument that "the money doesn't go to the band, it goes to the label who don't do enough to support the artist" are idiots.

The money goes to the record label because they pay out for the recording and production of the music. So the band's share of CD profits go to the record label to reimberse them for paying for the band's recording sessions.

Oh, so is that why its more profitable for bands to go independent these days?
We're only strays.
Quote by Amalgam
Perhaps you didn't read what I just wrote correctly.

Try again Sherlock.

/I'm the TS, figure it out.

Lol chill out, so I misread what you said. I still don't believe you've bought every record that you have on your computer.

Oh and I'm sorry my intellect seemingly doesn't run to the same highs as yours. Being sarcastic and contemptuous doesn't grace you with a superiority when it comes to an online forum.

Quote by Martyr's Prayer

Evidence?
Quote by CornLord

I only find downloading from these torrent sites good when the person dling doesn't have the money to be able to go buy a cd. I'm sure most of us have the money to go and buy the album in stores.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by Derigiberble
Lol chill out, so I misread what you said. I still don't believe you've bought every record that you have on your computer.

Oh and I'm sorry my intellect seemingly doesn't run to the same highs as yours. Being sarcastic and contemptuous doesn't grace you with a superiority when it comes to an online forum.

Evidence?

lol calm down mate, I'm just having a ****ty day as it is.

And, I don't see Radiohead getting to much backing from a record label these days, and they're doing pretty well for themselves.
Quote by Derigiberble

Evidence?

The evidence is the fact that when you sign with any label you have to have a friggin lawyer read over the contract so they don't screw you over.
We're only strays.
Quote by sixteen times

Same here. Alternatively, I'd find a group of like-minded friends and we'd split the price of the CD and make copies for all. There will always be ways to beat the system.

Besides, 90% of the bands I listen to ARE NOT for sale at "Best Buy" or the mall. What do you want me to do, stop listening to what I like and listen to shitty readily-available bands like Avenged Sevenfold or Fall Out Boy? F*ck that. Not everyone has crap taste in music. I love so much music that if I paid for it all I'd have to sell my house. I'm a music major in college, for chrissakes. Why should the beauty and inspiration that comes from the world's music be denied to me just because I'm a poor college kid who makes minimum wage? If I can't listen to lots of different music then how can you expect me to learn and draw inspiration and become a great musician? You know, part of the reason there are so few good musicians left in the world is because most people don't have a choice what they listen to. You either listen to the utter garbage that MTV pushes and the record stores sell, or you just don't listen to music. No kid out there is going to risk his 15$ weekly allowance on a single CD he doesn't know anything about, so he buys crap CDS that he heard before. He never ever gets exposed to good music unless his parents have a few decent albums lying around or something. Charging that much for a CD is a sacrilege against not only music, but art itself. It's like saying you should pay to see the Mona Lisa. That's bull****. The Mona Lisa is a beautiful painting that deserves to be seen by everyone simply because it is a masterful work of art. Having a copy of it hanging on your wall, yeah you should pay for that. But just to see it should be free. The thing is, music isn't something you can hang on your wall. Music is just sound. Once it's been created you can't keep it behind a curtain and pay people to listen to it. As soon as you put it on the Internet it belongs to everyone and anyone who wants it.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

I didn't say it was a more profitable route to be on a label, I said they pay for the recording and production of the music. What you're asking is entirely different, but I'll answer it:

Bands that go independent probably make more profit once they've offset the original recording costs, because after that, the money goes directly to their pockets.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
I only find downloading from these torrent sites good when the person dling doesn't have the money to be able to go buy a cd. I'm sure most of us have the money to go and buy the album in stores.

How about a struggling musician that gave his life away to music and can't even afford a cheeseburger most of the time? Thats full circle, right there.
We're only strays.
Quote by Amalgam
lol calm down mate, I'm just having a ****ty day as it is.

And, I don't see Radiohead getting to much backing from a record label these days, and they're doing pretty well for themselves.

They're still signed to a company though. Who do you think advertised to the press about the idea in the first place. I highly doubt a member of Radiohead sent a letter to a tabloid newspaper himself telling them about the idea. The record company will have set up all their interviews with the help of their agents. All they did was come up with the idea, make the music, and talk to the press.

Quote by Martyr's Prayer
The evidence is the fact that when you sign with any label you have to have a friggin lawyer read over the contract so they don't screw you over.

Been offered a record contract lately have you?
Quote by CornLord

Quote by Scourge441
The people who work "too hard to get their money's worth" don't get their worth from CDs. The people getting the money are the owners of the labels, who don't do anything to support the artists or the music.

So that cliche argument justifies the means?

Slippery slope complex. If it's okay to do that, it should be okay for everyone to do it, no one ever buying their CD's ever?

No one gets no profit?

And don't give me that merch or tour crap, they get barely any money from that either.

What about upcoming inspiring bands too? Is it fair on them?
Quote by break-me-in
I didn't say it was a more profitable route to be on a label, I said they pay for the recording and production of the music. What you're asking is entirely different, but I'll answer it:

Bands that go independent probably make more profit once they've offset the original recording costs, because after that, the money goes directly to their pockets.

Because every band has the costs for a full length CD recording, money for good art work, advertisment and the manufacture.

Ohh wait...............

And most banks wouldn't cover them for that anyway.
Page 1 of 3