Page 1 of 2
hey, ive been experimenting with putting my effect pedals in different lineups, switching some from the effects loop to the guitar to amp line and i began wondering what other people are doing with their pedals. so far ive found the best combo for me is:

Guitar ------ wah-------- amp
FX send-- big muff--qtron--memoryman--- DL4-- fx return

ive also got a talkbox hooked up to the speaker output in my amp. post your own combo on here and maybe a picture or two!

Thanks, Dave
Peter Frampton: "Homer Simpson wrecks my pig, Cypress Hill steals my orchestra.... and Sonic Youth is in my cooler! Get outta there you kids!"

Thurston Moore: "Come on Mr. Frampton... you're not gonna eat all that watermelon..."
Distortion/Fuzz/OD Should go before the preamp not in the loop. But that should be cool.

EDIT: Sorry, for some reason i seemed to think what you were asking is where you should put your effects.
Last edited by beckyjc at Nov 12, 2007,
you have a talkbox eh? i dont get how to use those, ive been told id need a PA system??
Quote by beckyjc
Distortion/Fuzz/OD Should go before the preamp not in the loop. But that should be cool.

+1

I do this:

Gibson SG-> Wah -> SunFace -> Big Muff -> Echo/Chorus

Not a big fan of effects loops. I take the wah off on songs where I don't use it, the SunFace doesn't sound as good if a non-true-bypass pedal is in front of it turned off.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
people usually use distortion/od/fuzz before the amp, not in the effects loop, but if you like the sound as is, use it however you want.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Mine's amp -> dist -> OD -> Wah -> Axe. Emphasises the wah effect, & for some reason, the OD onto the dist. is great for lead-work.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
I agree, only modulation and delay pedals should really go in the effects loop. Of course, even that depends on what you want to achieve. I like my effects to be very subtle, so I run everything through the preamp tubs to filter them a bit. My actual order on stage is the same order as my signature.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by Adz2706
you have a talkbox eh? i dont get how to use those, ive been told id need a PA system??

yea you do. its actually the coolest effect i could imagine. the way it works is... you have to have a speaker output on your amp and run a cable from that to the talkbox input. then when you click on the talkbox the sound that would be coming from the amp is sent to the talkbox which has a speaker built in it. the sound goes from the speaker through a rubber tube and up into your mouth. so now the sound of your guitar is playing into your mouth and you need to have the tube attached to a micstand with a mic and the sound travels out of your mouth into the mic and because the sound gets shaped by how you position your lips it sounds like the guitar is almost talking when you move your mouth. you can say words quite well with some practice... thus the name talkbox. but i dont use it to say words just to shape the sound.
Peter Frampton: "Homer Simpson wrecks my pig, Cypress Hill steals my orchestra.... and Sonic Youth is in my cooler! Get outta there you kids!"

Thurston Moore: "Come on Mr. Frampton... you're not gonna eat all that watermelon..."
hmmm..... ordering your pedals... i'd say laid out horizontally in a line from smallist to biggest
Quote by handlerb
I agree, only modulation and delay pedals should really go in the effects loop. Of course, even that depends on what you want to achieve. I like my effects to be very subtle, so I run everything through the preamp tubs to filter them a bit. My actual order on stage is the same order as my signature.

Nice echo pedal
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I run the Q-tron in front of the amp, too, being that it behaves a lot like a wah/OD.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Well, once I have the pedals I'm looking at getting (bring on payday!)

Wah -> Overdrive -> Overdrive -> Amp -> FX Send -> Compressor -> EQ -> Noise Suppressor -> FX Return
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mattreid222
i am the only one who has wah after distortion?

Probably not, but you belong to the minority.

I use:
Guitar -> Wah -> OD -> Amp
Loop: Octave -> Chorus -> Flanger -> Delay

Maybe the pedals in the loop could be arranged differently, but I rarely use them, and I never use them all at the same time (Unless I'm alone and really stoned).
mine goes:

Guitar -> Fuzz -> Wah -> OD -> Chorus -> Amp

i dont like the wah infront of the fuzz, cause then it sounds way to hendrix-esque'd
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

i go Guitar>DS-1>Cry Baby>Digidelay>Small Clone>Amp when i get an effects loop, im gonna put the digidelay and small clone in it (hopefully an electric mistress, too)
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
guitar --> rmc wizard wah --> tubescreamer --> boss tuner --> amp,

FX Loop Send --> EQ --> Chorus --> Delay --> FX Loop Return
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Fender HSS Strat>Sovtek Big Muff>DOD Octave>Boss Dynamic Wah>Boss Mega Distortion>Boss Distortion>Boss Blues Driver>Boss Super Over Drive>Digitech Screamin' Blues>MXR Phase 100>Boss Chorus Ensamble>Twin Reverb

Add a Fender PT-100 Tuner, MXR Dyna Comp, and EHX #1 Echo in their by christmas.

No FX loop.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
Fender HSS Strat>Sovtek Big Muff>DOD Octave>Boss Dynamic Wah>Boss Mega Distortion>Boss Distortion>Boss Blues Driver>Boss Super Over Drive>Digitech Screamin' Blues>MXR Phase 100>Boss Chorus Ensamble>Twin Reverb

Add a Fender PT-100 Tuner, MXR Dyna Comp, and EHX #1 Echo in their by christmas.

No FX loop.

I hope you don't keep all those plugged in all the time, it will wreck your tone. And I'm sure you don't use three distortion pedals and three OD pedals simultaneously... or do you?
Yeah, if I use my whole pedalboard, they're all hooked at once.

I just took out the Super OD today, because I never really use it, and I noticed my tone took a change for the better.

It doesn't ruin my tone as much as you'd think, but there is some coloring. Only hearable by people who have the right ears. My brother and mom who know nothing about guitar can't hear a difference, but my dad can(has been a musician for years).

My DS-1 is next to go if I find I don't use it much. It's my second most unused pedal, but I do use it some, which is why it remains.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I've always thought alphabetical order makes life easier for everyone....

...For most gigs I go for the tried and tested 'classic rock' setup:

Guitar> Overdrive> Amp

I might get a talkbox too, but other than that it's all quiet round the back. I don't use my FX loop if i can help it.
My setup is:

Guitar > Tuner > Distortion > Phase Shifter > Overdrive > Vibrato/Tremolo > Amp.

I put the phase shifter inbetween the two distortions because I can't really decide whether before or after sounds better, plus it seems to work well after my distortion (for flangy stuff) and before my OD (for a wah like sound). Tremolo kinda gets cancelled out when put before distortion, however I use it more for cleaner stuff anyway.

I tried using my effects loop once, but it had a MASSIVE amount of buzzing. Still not quite sure if I was doing it properly (just tried it out with some $1 patch leads, letting the pedal sit on top of the amp), but I can't really be bothered to buy that many leads, although I'd rather put my vibrato/tremolo pedal in the effects loop.

If I had longer leads/a better daisy chain I'd put my guitar tuner at the end, to act as a quick mute as well as tuning pedal.
I have my wah and overdrives in before the preamp, and my delay and reverb in the effects loop if that helps any.
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
guitar > wah > od > chorus >amp
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
In a big pile in the closet.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Quote by JC13
Question from a n00b guys... Where should an EQ go? If it's not in the loop, should it be at the front or the end of my chain? (I know, wherever I like it, but what is the general rule of thumb)... Also, on an amp without an FX loop (I just have a simple 5 watt tube amp), is it possible to create one on it? How hard would that be? Keep in mind I don't have any really big modulation effects yet, just the standard Wah, Dist, OD, (soon to be EQ)... Maybe Delay next.

Where ever you want it. If you wanna shape the distorted tone put it after distortion.

Guitar > Bad Horsie > Muff > Crunchbox

The wah sucks after distortion, is awesome before. I have fuzz before distortion because i never use them at the same time, unless I'm using the muff as a clean boost into a distortion pedal(which is actually does well) in which case it needs to be before the crunchbox.

EDIT: Plus the Morley has a signal buffer, that combine with two true bypass pedals means no signal loss with long cables/more pedals.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Last edited by TGM at Nov 13, 2007,
Guitar > DS-1 Distortion > BF-3 Flanger > DD-6 Digital Delay > Amp

...am I the only one who uses a Flanger? It makes tremolo picking and muting sound really cool, especially with the delay. Then you tap the Distortion on and off, like a pulse, sloooowly...mmm...
Quote by JC13
Where should an EQ go?
An excellent article on signal chain order, "Order in the Court—Which pedal goes where?", by Peter Swiadon, is hosted on the Boss site, and is highly recomended—a great read. The article basically recommends the following GENERAL order:

PREAMP/DISTORTION —> EQ —> CHORUS/FLANGE/PHASE —> REVERB/DELAY

In my particular case it's:

Engl E530 preamp —> dbx EQ —> TC G•Major multi-effects unit

But the article also mentions the practice of putting the EQ before the amp, where its tone-shaping may be less evident, but it will then act as an overdrive, in the case of active EQ unit (typically +12dB of boost on common rack-mount EQ units).
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Guitar - wah - DS-1 - amp. Then, I have a Digitech RP200 in the effects loop for delay, reverb, flange, ect., with a creamy (not high-gain) distortion on my amp to boot. It all equals tonal bliss.

By the way, I write/play guitar instrumentals, hence the creamy distortion. I know most people use high-gain on UG, and I don't want to be flamed for it. it's just not for me. There IS such a thing as too much distortion - this coming from a former gain wh0re!

As far as my experience with live/studio setups is concerned (15+ years), my setup is accurate and reasonable. It has worked for years, as a matter of fact.

ONE THING: Most people don't know this, but Hendrix was the first to really pioneer the use of a wah IN FRONT OF everything else in his setup. The wah was placed elsewhere in guitar rigs before that. Makes you think: What is 'right' and what is 'wrong' in terms of individual choice when it comes to pedal setups, anyways?

Food for thought, I guess.
guitar>tube buffer>noise supressor>tuner> wacky pedal >wah1>autowah>octave>octave>od>od2>od3>distortion1>distortion 2>distortion 3> fuzz> eq pedal 1> eq pedal 2> tremolo>phaser>flanger>wah2>vibrato>wacky pedal 1> wacky pedal > wacky pedal > delay > delay > delay > delay > delay > reverb 1> reverb 2> reverb 3 > wacky pedal > stereo panner > head 1-cab input 1
> head 2 -cab input 2
^ wew, so many delays and reverbs. why do you have your noise supressor at the start of the chain?

Guitar > Wah > Whammy (should be first?) > Dist > EQ > OD > OD2 > Delay > Amp
Sigs are too hard to think up
Quote by the_crimison
^ wew, so many delays and reverbs. why do you have your noise supressor at the start of the chain?

Wah first makes sense to ME. You want to affect the guitar's output frequencies, not the guitar's delayed/reverbed/flanged/distorted/WHATEVER tone. It muddies it up, BAD, when you generally put a distortion/effect through a wah. Hell, A wah in front of an amp is as classic as classic can be! look up pro rigs, see where they put their wah's in their chain... more often than not, it's first or right near the front.

Sounds better this way, IMO.
Quote by the_crimison

all of my pedals are very quiet. my guitar gives a tiny bit of hiss. i also use feedback harmonically. so i just have an isp decimator on a smidge. pretty much just used for silence in between songs.

i use delay a lot. its my favorite effect. and i use one of the reverbs for feedback on a few songs. one is a standard tube spring unit that i use mostly. and the other is digital that i switch between cave, halls, church, etc.
Get ready for an essay

Guitar --> Wah --> Tuner --> Maxon overdrive --> EHX Frequency Analyzer ring mod --> Moog MuRF --> Amp (whichever I am using at the time).

Begin FX loop --> Digitech Whammy --> Ernie Ball Volume Pedal --> Boss Turbo Overdrive (never use it, soon to be replaced with clean boost) --> Boss Super Chorus --> Boss Super Phaser --> MXR EVH Phase 90 --> Boss DD-3 Delay.

Soon to be added:
Diamond Memory Lane (after MuRF)
Xotic RC Booster (after overdrive)
HBE Germania (after Xotic)
BBE Sonic Stomp (after overdrive, before Xotic)
BYOC Tribooster/BBE Boosta Grande (to replace Boss overdrive)
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
just got some pedals for my birthday, so wondering if i put them in the right order with the others..

guitar --> Boss Chromatic Tuner --> Keeley Compressor --> Original Dunlop Crybaby Wah --> Keeley Modded DS1 --> Boss EQ --> Boss SUPER Chorus --> amp --> DD6
Maybe you guys could help me. I'm running a Digitech Digidelay, a Boss TR-2 tremolo, An EHX nano stone phase shifter and an EHX nano clone chorus. how should I arrange them?
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com

I have the talk box in the top right corner that I'm still not sure where to place. I also have the tremolo that is just chilling as well.... not sure about where to set these two. My FX Loop is all cacked up for some reason. Just sounds bad when I run delays through it. So I am currently not using it. I dunno... I've posted one of these "help my pedal board" threads before with no results. Tight, yo.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Quote by WFMedia
By the way, I write/play guitar instrumentals, hence the creamy distortion. I know most people use high-gain on UG, and I don't want to be flamed for it. it's just not for me. There IS such a thing as too much distortion - this coming from a former gain wh0re!

I don't really understand where you're getting this from, I've never seen anyone get flamed for enjoying creamy distortion instead of teh br00talz. I for one, wholeheartedly agree that there is such a thing as too much gain, but to each their own I guess.
lol, I have been harassed in The Pit for NOT being a gain *****... you can just IMAGINE the insults I'd get by using the word 'creamy', lol! Kids will be kids, I guess...
Guitar->Wah->Fulltone OCD->Ibanez Tubescreamer->Affectronix Brit Master->H2O
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Page 1 of 2