Hi, I'm going to buy a new amp in the near future. I found a Mesa F-50 for a really good price, so I'm wondering if I should buy it. I play mainly power metal (like sonata Arctica), but i also like to play with a lot of gain sometimes just for fun. I have a Jackson DX10D Dinky with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and soon a PAF Pro in the neck. Would this amp suit my needs? I'm also open to getting an distortion pedal..but I'm already spending a lot of money as it is so...

All comment/suggestions welcome

Thanks,

Matt
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
Talk to MesaExplorer, Erock503, and MatrixClaw....all of them, have F-series amps. If you get this amp, I wouldn't bother using the distortion pedal with it, or vice versa, as the amps tone will most likely be quite better than the pedal's. It should be fine for what you want, but I only have limited experience with them.
Quote by TheShred201
Talk to MesaExplorer, Erock503, and MatrixClaw....all of them, have F-series amps. If you get this amp, I wouldn't bother using the distortion pedal with it, or vice versa, as the amps tone will most likely be quite better than the pedal's. It should be fine for what you want, but I only have limited experience with them.

hm...when are they usually on?
Yes, they're great sounding amps and extremely versatile too. Also entirely handmade in the USA, and thus impervious to bumps,scrapes, bumpy van rides, clumsy roadies, and quite possibly bullets....

So if you're getting it used there's basically nothing else in the price range that'll come close, whatever style you play.
The F series are awesome amps, you should have no problem at all getting a good Sonata Arctica tone out of one. It also has one of the best clean channels of any Mesa and can go from sparkling clean to a more dark sound. Has *slightly* less gain than a recto, however, sounds much more smooth and not as flabby in the low end, also doesn't get muddy like rectos can.

You shouldn't need a pedal for it at all unless you want an OD or Clean Boost for solos, etc.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The F series are awesome amps, you should have no problem at all getting a good Sonata Arctica tone out of one. It also has one of the best clean channels of any Mesa and can go from sparkling clean to a more dark sound. Has *slightly* less gain than a recto, however, sounds much more smooth and not as flabby in the low end, also doesn't get muddy like rectos can.

You shouldn't need a pedal for it at all unless you want an OD or Clean Boost for solos, etc.

ah thanks so much. 850$ for the f-50 combo is a steal isnt it.
Quote by racerXazn
ah thanks so much. 850$ for the f-50 combo is a steal isnt it.

Used? That's not a bad deal. It's cheaper than it was used, but I bought my F-30 for $712 new from Guitar Center after they were discontinued. I've seen the F-50s go for as low as $450 though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Used? That's not a bad deal. It's cheaper than it was used, but I bought my F-30 for $712 new from Guitar Center after they were discontinued. I've seen the F-50s go for as low as $450 though.

meh. It's the only one i could find...the other one was 900$...

thanks for your help.

is it good for gigging though?
Yeah you do see them come down to the $500 mark from time to time, when someone needs a quick sell. Cheapest I've seen in Britain was about £400 though.

It's scary that you can get a handbuilt,all-tube, 50W Mesa/Boogie for the same price as a Marshall MG100...but don't tell everyone, or there'll be none left!
Last edited by kyle62 at Nov 12, 2007,
Quote by racerXazn
meh. It's the only one i could find...the other one was 900$...

thanks for your help.

is it good for gigging though?

Yeah, it's LOUD. I have the F-30 and that thing can destroy small planets.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Definitely, it's great for gigging! Even though I'm a huge DC fan, I admit that it'd smoke an unmodded DC-5. Though you're probably aware that they aren't the lightest of amps, by any standard....mind you, Mesa's '50W'amps tend to put out around 70W so you can't complain!

If you need any more reassurance (which I doubt), Guitarist did a rather glowing review a while ago which you can read here.
Quote by kyle62
Definitely, it's great for gigging! Even though I'm a huge DC fan, I admit that it'd smoke an unmodded DC-5. Though you're probably aware that they aren't the lightest of amps, by any standard....mind you, Mesa's '50W'amps tend to put out around 70W so you can't complain!

If you need any more reassurance (which I doubt), Guitarist did a rather glowing review a while ago which you can read here.

thanks all. i've been convinced, but i'm going to try it out first just to see if its right. however if i am unable to purchase it for some reason, would the 5150 be a good alternative or a peavey super 40 xxx .
On average they go for about $700 on ebay. The F-100's go for a bit more, and the F-30's go for a bit less.

Tonewise, it's probably Boogie's darkest toned amp. It doesnt have an over the top sizzling distortion but instead a really thick full distortion. You're going to be mid boosting the hell out of this amp. It has one of the best cleans I've heard. If you're going to be buying it, why not try it out first, take your guitar with you.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by kyle62
Yeah you do see them come down to the $500 mark from time to time, when someone needs a quick sell. Cheapest I've seen in Britain was about £400 though.

It's scary that you can get a handbuilt,all-tube, 50W Mesa/Boogie for the same price as a Marshall MG100...but don't tell everyone, or there'll be none left!

Edit: And yes, it's great for gigging! Even though I'm a huge DC fan, I admit that it'd smoke an unmodded DC-5. Though you're probably aware that they aren't the lightest of amps, by any standard....

If you need any more reassurance, Guitarist did a rather glowing review a while ago which you can read here.

lol MG100.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah, it's LOUD. I have the F-30 and that thing can destroy small planets.

I blew up Uranus with my F-100 halfstack....no homo
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Nov 12, 2007,
Quote by MESAexplorer
I blew up Uranus with my F-100 halfstack.

I wouldn't doubt it!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MESAexplorer
I blew up Uranus with my F-100 halfstack....no homo

loll.
Quote by MESAexplorer
On average they go for about $700 on ebay. The F-100's go for a bit more, and the F-30's go for a bit less.

Tonewise, it's probably Boogie's darkest toned amp. It doesnt have an over the top sizzling distortion but instead a really thick full distortion. You're going to be mid boosting the hell out of this amp. It has one of the best cleans I've heard. If you're going to be buying it, why not try it out first, take your guitar with you.

exactly what im going to do lol.
Quote by kyle62
I felt a surge of shame even as I typed it. I feel like I ought to wipe down my keyboard with Dettol or something....

yeh and wash the shame off your hands too. your fingertips have been tainted!