I really like the classic tones the thing can crank out, but it really doesnt provide mde much fun, as most for the stuff I want to play uses searing high gain (well not really).

stuff like pantera, and metallica as well as shred stuff like yngwie, steve vai, and the like. A better boost and more gain would be nice for some hard rock too (Guns N roses and the like)

sure, I love play classic rock, but I want/need more versatility.

If I can push what I want out of my amp, I'll do it, but if it'll never really satisfy me in those areas, I'll just save up for a crate flexwave or a randall or something cheap that can get the job done. Or, if I wanted to save more, a sexy roland jazz chorus -- that thing SINGS with a distortion pedal in front.

anyway, would a metal muff do well for this? I have an overdrive pedal that can push the gain a miniscule amount, but if I turn on preamp gain to 12, the mid-boost on, overdrive pedal on maxed, and the metal muff, I imagine I might be able to get some screaming tones...

or would I be better off getting a bad monkey or TS (< prolly not a TS, I want as heavy as possible) or even a zakk wylde overdrive?

Thing is, I've noticed that distortion pedals dont seem to sound "all there" in a vintage voiced tube amp.

do you guys think I'd be better off just setting a peddle in front of my current amp, or saving for a cheap/mid-priced SS amp that can do high gain better on its own?

right now I have $18 so don't expect me to work any money magic and get a used 5150 combo, as much as I'd love to do that, it simply isnt happening right now.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
The Metal Muff would probably work .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I'm trying to do the same thing with my amp, threadstarter.

The box of metal looks very interesting...I'm thinking about saving up for one. What makes it stand out from all of the other overdrive/distortion pedals?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Aye, seems a bit more than what it's worth, though.

300 USD? Sounds really nice, though.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
O.O That Box of Metal sounds amazing! Any clips for the Box of Rock?
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Yup, overdrive pedal on the gain channel, if that's not enough stick an EQ pedal after it and you should be sorted.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hmm I dont know other than a death metal pedal or something. I will trade you my like new Line 6 Speider III 75 watt combo for it though