Page 1 of 2
any1 ever have to do this, I gotta make sumthing thatll hold two eggs safely in a two story drop. I cant use parachutes, any ideas? All i did so far was stuff a plastic container with cotton balls, but I dont think itll be enough.
ok... duct tape is key here. Tape the egg if you can... and you want to make the box a strange shape... perhaps like, a box with many sides... try to make it resemble one of those RPG dice with all the different sides. That way the weight will be more evenly distributed as opposed to a ball or a square box. When is it due? I can ask a physics professor at my university. PM me, bro.
The cotton ball thing wont work. i did that when we did this in 5th grade. you have to make sure its packed tightly so it doesnt have room to move at all
go watch the mythbusters episode where they do that, i belive they cut open an orange put the eggg in it, then they wrapped it up in foam and then made like a paper cone with a weight at the bottom to make it fall on the point
i had to do the same project like about a month ago
my egg broke =D
but my project was different cuz i was able to use a bag as a parachute =P
Quote by Pabli7o
water in a bucket?

That's actually not a bad idea if you had a large enough place.

Pad a circular type of thing with a lot of cotton balls and then get something like Jell-O and fill the inside of it with it and put the egg in it.

However, this jell-o can't be too thick or it'll crush the egg, so try something a little bit less viscous.
In an interstellar burst! I am back to save the universe...
Honestly, just put layers and layers of cotton wool and newspaper around it

Preferably:

Newspaper
Cotton Wool
Cotton Wool
Egg
Cotton Wool
Cottol Wool
Newspaper

Layered like that. It works! I used a "Zeppelin" using balloons and gliders.

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
get a hollow copper pipe and a very strong magnet. Attach magnet to the egg, and drop down the copper pipe. Job Done
wrap the eggs in an old t-shirt, surround it with crumpled up newspaper making sure it's very compact, within a some kind of plastic container. profit
Last edited by Negative Burn at Nov 12, 2007,
the magic of bubble wrap
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
you could just tie the egg to a piece of string that is 1 cm less than 2 stories then drop it from there
try this

put the egg in a jar of peanut butter with the pb still in it.

or you could wrap it up in cotton balls/pbutter jar or whatever then make a frame of some sort and attach the egg(s) with rubberbands so they are suspended in the middle and they can move with the impact even if the frame stops flat.

SORT OF like this but not as homosexual http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADBTHpk0L8g
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Just try them all for now,

I suggest Jello (it would probably break, but that would look really cool)
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Quote by DoMay
use this substance (i don't know how it works)

Wow, that stuff is amazing, I was gonna say its like flypaper with a fake egg but then they broke it.. pff, some mighty cool stuff anyway.
You guys. Leave 'em in the chicken.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
...salt is the answer.

Come on now. I'm surprised no one has said it yet.

Pack the bottom half of the container with salt.
Insert the egg.
Fill the the rest up with salt up to the top.
Why look a man in the eye when you can shoot him in the back?

If you can't convince them; confuse them.

Quote by smb
I think anyone who hasn't cheated hasn't lived.
Here is the diagram of my theory

So long as the balloon doesn't turn over (stick some fins on to stop that?) and doesn't tip onto it's side too fast once it lands, you're sorted. Wrap the egg up tho anyway.
Quote by MadClownDisease
hang the eggs inside balloons and blow up the balloons, when the balloons hit the floor the egg won't even touch the ground so can't crack.

Go inside a car and crash against a wall at 60 mph. When the car hits the wall your face wont even touch the dashboard.

/not a good idea.... the egg wont FLOAT inside the balloon.

Do some of all them. Tight wrapping seems to be most popular. I like the one wrapped in a shirt and i still would give it a try landing it on a bucket of water.

when is is due? damn it i wanna know what other people came up with and if it worked.
you cant use a parachute, but you can make like a glider thing/paper aeroplane and itll soften the blow if its moving along too
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Make a suspension sort of thing in a cardboard box. Suspend the egg in the middle with rubber bands, hold them on the outside with a dowel or something. This worked for me.
But, in my project, I had to be able to touch the egg once it was inside, and it had to be under a certain size. Also, my science teacher was the one to throw it.
I tried putting it in a plastic bag with packing peanuts, but that didn't work. It seemed to, because it floated down somewhat gently, until it hit the pavement very hard.
something lighter and that suspends the egg might work better.
Quote by Pabli7o
Go inside a car and crash against a wall at 60 mph. When the car hits the wall your face wont even touch the dashboard.

/not a good idea.... the egg wont FLOAT inside the balloon.

Wear your seatbelt and no you won't. Notice my use of the word "hang" in that explanation. See m,y above diagram too. It is contact that causes the egg to crack, is it is hanging there is no contact, there is no cracking. Same as you don't smash your face in a car crash without contact. Although the sudden deceleration can hurt you, but then in my idea the balloon would mean reasonable slow deceleration.

EDIT: ^ that guy knows what he's talking about ^
I guarantee using a Nerf ball will work.

A nerf soccer ball, hollow out a hole to the center to place the egg in. Put the egg in, and put the chunk of foam back over the egg. Tape the chunk of foam in place and drop it.

-SD
Soak it in malt vinegar for a week... and it'll bounce.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Oh I did this back in the day.
Our group basically made this huge rollcage out of straws. We won and had to represent the school at some Physics competition at IBM Hursley. I believe we came seventh from all of Hampshire.
Quote by This is the One
Oh I did this back in the day.
Our group basically made this huge rollcage out of straws. We won and had to represent the school at some Physics competition at IBM Hursley. I believe we came seventh from all of Hampshire.

I had to go to that thing in hursley, back in the day. Was either 2005 or 2006, and our school came 3rd
I got a clock as a prize....woo!
Drive me home Jeeves
Quote by GarlicBread
I had to go to that thing in hursley, back in the day. Was either 2005 or 2006, and our school came 3rd
I got a clock as a prize....woo!

Hmm I think I went in 2005. What school did you go to?
And I got the clock prize as well. It was so annoying the alarm was set and 9PM every night and I couldn't fix it.
Hey guys i need some more help. Im writing a paper on it. And just to make sure, I want the momentum, potential, and kinetic energy to be as low as possible right?
how big can it be? if you can make something 2 stories tall then it doesn't have to drop at all
Page 1 of 2