... Seems like i have to buy a new amp. Im mainly into metalcore and hardcore, so i need some heavy distortion. I have 500$ ( do not, i repeat, do not reccommend me more expensive amps ). I don't care if it's Solidstate, tube, or whatever. Im just after decent sound and distortion. I don't mind buying a distortion or overdrive pedal, if it's necesary ill get one. So, basically i want best sound for that price.

// Ill just be playing quietly at home, in my bedroom.

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Thanks guys, but can you reccommend me something specific ?

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Line 6 are you crazy??

why don't you just recommend him a MG!
Looking for a new sig!
If you're getting a line6, don't buy anything other than a POD or a PODXTL. Spider series are trash, so is the floor pod, it's much fizzier and thinner than the XTL or a computer POD.

This guy uses a POD during his cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuPSSyF5UE0

I believe he even has his settings and downloadable patch on his website. That's the standard computer POD BTW.

Amp wise... Cube 60 or something similar.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

To extend on my post:

I THINK the Pod 2.0 or whatever the computer pod is called is about 200 new, if you get that, you could buy a nice set of pups for your guitar, and when the time comes that you need to buy a tube amp, you'll be able to compliment its tone with a nice set of humbs. :P Or single coils, but if you want metalcore humbs would probably be better. That might leave you enough money for a wah pedal as well, assuming you'll use one, and consider buying used as well.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Well, from soundclips that i've heard cube doesn't produce the sound that im after ( or does it ? maby with pedal ? Im after kinda As I Lay Dying-ish sound ). Also im not really into buying a line 6.

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Either a Roland Cube 60 or a Vox AD50VT-XL. Stay away from Line 6, especially Spiders. I had to learn that the hard way, as you can tell from my sig.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I like my Microcube, but haven't gotten any real good experiences with putting a pedal in front of it. A lot of modelling amps don't seem to take pedals real well.

If you're just going to play it in your bedroom, and don't plan on using it for gigging, I don't know why you'd want to go as high as the Cube 60.

I'd suggest something along the lines of a Peavey Royal 8 or a Epiphone Valve Junior (head and seperate cab). That'll leave you a lot of left over cash for a really good overdrive/distortion pedal that should be able to push either of those into the type of music you're looking at, like the Damage Control Solid Metal or Demonizer.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Thanks!

More suggestions ?!

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Il bump this thread slightly.

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Whatever other amps you might consider, keep in mind that overdriven/distorted tube amps will generally sound much better than solid state. At the price you're looking at though, you'll really need to allocate some of that to an overdrive/distortion pedal as many amps in that price range won't be able to do the overdrive/distortion that you're looking for on their own.

Also tube amps will sound much louder than a solid state will. A 5watt tube amp will blow pretty much any 15watt solid state out of the water. 15watt tube would be decent for practice or gigging with light drumming. 30watts or more to get over heavier handed drummers.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Im lookin at a Vox Valvetronix 30 watt. I like how it looks and its got great reviews. I would say try that or maybe even go for the 50 watt.
Thanks!

Few more opinions would be appreciated.

+ I'd like to hear more specific opinions. Also i'd like to hear something different than cubes or vox.

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Last edited by loxer at Nov 12, 2007,
Used Marshall JCm 900?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I think whoever suggested a Vox adv50vt xl has a good idea there. I think those are good amps. However I haven't tried a whole lot else.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Used Marshall JCm 900?

No, but thanks. It's extremely hard to find a used gear in my area.

Any more suggestions ?

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

^ ebay. hehe or a cube 60.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
... So, the cube is the only option ?!

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Double post, hate me, but any kind of help would be appreciated.

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Line 6 Flextone
Roland Cube
Crate Palomino V8
Peavey Classic 30
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
... I wonder if there are any tube amps in my price range that will produce sound that im after ( if it's necesarry ill buy pedal ). Or are solid state amps the only option for me ? cube 30x is the best option ?

// bit old thread, but theres no point to create a new one.

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Quote by Hakael
I like my Microcube, but haven't gotten any real good experiences with putting a pedal in front of it. A lot of modelling amps don't seem to take pedals real well.

If you're just going to play it in your bedroom, and don't plan on using it for gigging, I don't know why you'd want to go as high as the Cube 60.

I'd suggest something along the lines of a Peavey Royal 8 or a Epiphone Valve Junior (head and seperate cab). That'll leave you a lot of left over cash for a really good overdrive/distortion pedal that should be able to push either of those into the type of music you're looking at, like the Damage Control Solid Metal or Demonizer.

The above suggested amps are all tube, 5 watt (except for the microcube). If you're looking for louder, an Epiphone Valve Standard or Crate Palomino V16. Both are 15watt and still will leave room in your budget for a decent pedal (which most tube amps will need to get you where you want to go).

30 watt and higher you'll no longer just "be playing quietly at home, in my bedroom..."
Last edited by Hakael at Nov 17, 2007,
Thanks everyone, but few more suggestions would be appreciated.

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Quote by loxer
... So, the cube is the only option ?!

Actually, a lot of people like the Cube series for a bedroom amp with distortion tones.

Quote by loxer
... I wonder if there are any tube amps in my price range that will produce sound that im after ( if it's necesarry ill buy pedal ). Or are solid state amps the only option for me ? cube 30x is the best option ?

I'm currently in the same position as you, looking for an amp to be played at home volumes, and with about the same price limit, although I don't need as much distortion as you do. Here are some of the ones I'm looking at that I think you could take a look at as well that hasn't been mentioned:
- Laney LC 15. 15W tube amp. With the prices these sell for, you could get a pedal and still be under your price limit.
- Hughes&Kettner Edition Tube 20th Anniversary. These have a unique tone, but are highly regarded. Either play one or at least search for sound clips before you buy. It's a 20W tube amp, so it might be a bit loud though.
- Engl E530. This is only a tube preamp, but it has a built in headphone amp. If you want to play through speakers, you'd need something to be used as a poweramp, which would put you over your price limit.
- Epiphone Valve Junior. I'm putting this here because it's so cheap for being a tube amp, but still a lot of people like it. Personally I'd get the head and either a nice 1x12 or 2x12 cab. Only 5W, but it will be loud enough. There's a nice thread about modding it in the modding forum.
Quote by whoismilan

- Engl E530. This is only a tube preamp, but it has a built in headphone amp. If you want to play through speakers, you'd need something to be used as a poweramp, which would put you over your price limit.

actually you don't need a poweramp to play through speakers with this. this is probably your best option for now. and actually, it does have a 1.5 watt power amp built in, which is perfect for bedroom playing. you can hook it up to headphones, or computer speakers, or whatever. then, whenever you start playing in a band or whatever you'll just need a power amp and cab.