Poll: Which option?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which option?
Variax 600 + software
2 7%
American Standard HSS strat
23 85%
Something else (if you choose this please post what)
2 7%
Voters: 27.
ok this is one of my many threads regarding new guitars.

this may seem rly rly stupid, but im actually stuck between a variax 600 or an American standardHSS strat :\

should i go for the awesome quality of an strat that can go almost everything? the new HSS strats have the S-1 switching system with coil tap.

or should i go for the lower quality guitar that can do everything?

they both cost about the same in the end because you have to buy some software for teh variax to truly be useful

or is there another option that would be better to look at?

i play almost everything but i tend to hang around in the blues and rock genres.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Both.

Fender HSS Strat.

(whats makes you think the strat can't do everything? It can...)
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
The variax offers you a lot more. If you ever end up getting a pod XT Liveor vetta, its usefulness goes up infinitely.
I'd say variax
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Both.

Fender HSS Strat.

+100

HSS strats are the most versatile thing going, I'd pick one over a variax any day if I wanted versatility.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

well umm yea i own a squier and the pups arent hot enough to do a lot because, duh, its a squier lol, but i mean it cant do a sitar, dobro, or any other acoustic sound for that matter. or a twelve string eletric.

but yea i kno ur point
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Wouldn't even consider the Variax

The Strat has everything covered really, although i'm not a fan of HSS guitars.

Maybe look into a POD or BOSS multi effects, or maybe a Toneport and some amp software?
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Get the american strat. Id also look at gibsons TV les paul specials... they are in the 600 dollar range and sound/play pretty well for blues rock. Dont be afraid to look around.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
Get the strat. It'll sound WAY better than the variax. I haven't played a variax, but I've played line6 amps. They say they simulate all those sounds but they really don't. They're about as close as you can get without the real thing though.
Quote by bored_maniac33
well umm yea i own a squier and the pups arent hot enough to do a lot because, duh, its a squier lol, but i mean it cant do a sitar, dobro, or any other acoustic sound for that matter. or a twelve string eletric.

but yea i kno ur point

Make your amp really clean and go in the bridge/middle position of a HSS strat, and you will get a sweet acoustic tone.
Quote by mck_776
Wouldn't even consider the Variax

The Strat has everything covered really, although i'm not a fan of HSS guitars.

Maybe look into a POD or BOSS multi effects, or maybe a Toneport and some amp software?

But the variax doesn't do amp modelling. It does guitar modeling. Tw very different things.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
The HSS Strat will get you almost any tone you want.

Having your guitar sound like a banjo can be a load of fun, but how often are you really going to need it?

In this case, the HSS Stratocaster, especially in combination with a good amp, will get you all the sounds you want, whilst still retaining a natural sound and simplicity.

Quote by Blaster Bob
Get the strat. It'll sound WAY better than the variax. I haven't played a variax, but I've played line6 amps. They say they simulate all those sounds but they really don't. They're about as close as you can get without the real thing though.

Eventhough I'm all for the Strat, comparing the Line 6 low end amps to their other products is plainly unfair.

What do you want them to say in the ads? "This product sort of sounds like a few famous amps, but really, it's not as good as our other products." Of course they're going to say the Spider is a great amp with realistic modeling and a natural sound. They are going to hype it and that's normal.

This doesn't mean though that the "realistic modeling" on the Spider amp is the same as the "realistic modeling" of the Variax700.

Line 6 makes effects, amps and guitars, all in different price ranges. Yes, there are a few lemons, but that doesn't mean their entire range is crap.

It might be interesting to watch these videos:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dGwDaOJLSS4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-tXbj7XTYcc
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Nov 12, 2007,
http://www.duesenberg.de/

Take a look at the "V-Caster".
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony with gold hardware
Fender American Stratocaster 3 color sunburst maple fretboard tortoise shell pickguard
Martin 000-M Auditorium
Mesa Boogie F-50
Maxon OD-9
Dunlop 535Q Wah pedal
Quote by AndyMcDandy
http://www.duesenberg.de/

Take a look at the "V-Caster".

thse look pretty sweet.....i cant readily get a hold of one to try them out...since i live in the states....lol im taking a trip to amsterdam this summer tho! lol
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Zofar
Make your amp really clean and go in the bridge/middle position of a HSS strat, and you will get a sweet acoustic tone.

No, sounds nothing like an acoustic. Electrics don't have the nice reverb of an acoustic. The sound is fundamentally different. You'd get a greta clean sound, but nothing like an acoustic.

The strat is a strat. It does strat tones well and theres no denying that.
The variax on the other hand does a lot more. It sounds quite nice and you can do a lot of things that you couldn't on a strat. Easy tunings, 12 string solos, banjos and a really great acoustic.

A strat is great if you're happy with the sound, but in a long term thing, you might get bored. Atleast with the variax that'll take much longer

Heres my advice to you, try them both out. See which one you like. Get a nice vox amp or something in the store to try them out with

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX

Heres my advice to you, try them both out. See which one you like. Get a nice vox amp or something in the store to try them out with

yea thats what i think im goin to be doin over the next month and a half, i have two guitar stores in town, one has the variax and the other has the strat, so ill be going across town a lot.....*sigh* why, oh why, did gas prices have to go up now?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional