Is there any reason to not play a guitar through a bass amp? I have a line 6 spider 3 and a peavey microbass. I want to trade both to get a bigger bass amp, but i still want to be able to play my guitar.
It has some awesome cleans thats true, but i dont know if the all the bass amp controls would work
And probably because the distortion would suck (dont know if it does or not)
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

There would be next to no treble, or not as much. I have a peavy micro bass and guitar played through it sounds horrible. Way too much bass and not enough treble, so you can rule out playing solos on it.

But if you used a distortion pedal, I'd say that would compensate.
Bass amp speakers are not designed to reproduce the high frequencies you'll get with guitar. You can damage it in the long run.
Quote by Blaster Bob
Bass amp speakers are not designed to reproduce the high frequencies you'll get with guitar. You can damage it in the long run.

+1, that's true.
Quote by ketiov
A normal guitar through a bass amp sounds pretty bad.

Tell that to this guy:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rGwvNapBMUI

Quote by Pagan-Pie
+1, that's true.

No- it's the other way around
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Last edited by Yngwi3 at Nov 12, 2007,
i say just one thing, fender bassman
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Ht only thing that will happen (and I speak from experience) is that you'll have to EQ your sound carefully so it doesn't sound like mush, so you'll need to basically take out all the bass and a lot of the low mids and then if you add an EQ pedal you can get some decent tones out of it. On the plus side your cleans will be clean and you won't have to turn the amp up as much. The speaker will be just fine.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Yngwi3
Tell that to this guy:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rGwvNapBMUI

No- it's the other way around

no, damage for bass through guitar amp is more immediate and severe because regular guitar speakers don't have enough excursion for bass frequencies, but you can definately damage a bass speaker by putting too much treble through it.
But what if you use a Whammy bar and use 2 octaves down? that should damage a guitar speaking just as much as like you were using it a bass.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Blaster Bob
no, damage for bass through guitar amp is more immediate and severe because regular guitar speakers don't have enough excursion for bass frequencies, but you can definately damage a bass speaker by putting too much treble through it.

Only you can't, bass speakers can handle a much larger frequency range than a guitar speaker and anyway, Josh Homme and Paul Kossoff both use(d) bass speakers and they work well for years.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Worked well for years, and then what?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Ferrarone
i say just one thing, fender bassman

I say just one thing, best post in the thread.
Quote by Hultan
But what if you use a Whammy bar and use 2 octaves down? that should damage a guitar speaking just as much as like you were using it a bass.

No, it doesn't. There's a difference between a low pitch and having the mad low frequencies that bass guitars have.

Guitar through a bass amp works.

The speakers are fine. Many, many guitarists have used guitars through bass amps and gotten great tone, and never had to change their speakers. Don't worry about it, TS.
I've heard it done before. One friend has had his bass amp remodeled to a guitar amp so it's somewhere in between. The cleans can be nice.

But yeah, you might hurt the speaker. Bass amps are designed for low frequencies so when you throw some highs in you can damage the speaker.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
Quote by apalm
I've heard it done before. One friend has had his bass amp remodeled to a guitar amp so it's somewhere in between. The cleans can be nice.

But yeah, you might hurt the speaker. Bass amps are designed for low frequencies so when you throw some highs in you can damage the speaker.

It works great. Just make sure you have appropriate speakers (e.g. not just 15" sepakers) so as to get good frequency response.

It won't hurt it at all, so long as you check the frequency response on the speakers and check it doesn't have too low maximum frequency.

Just don't use the EQ on the amp (it's set up for a different range of frequencies) and don't expect massive overdrive, as they are not normally build to be overdriven, in fact, the opposite. Most bass amps are designed to stay clean as long as possible.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Hultan
Worked well for years, and then what?

Well Paul Kossoff is dead but as far as I know that's unrelated and also as far as I know Josh Homme still does use bass amps for his sound.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Aight cool
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard