I'm using Audacity to record some demos. I have a big problem though, in that when I try and lay a guitar track on some drums, as the guitar track progresses on playback it gradually gets behind the drums.

Everything will be even in the beginning, but it's like the track is getting out of line within itself. Any idea how I can fix this??
That has happened to me once but it seemed to correct itself when I did another take.

What I think is happening is that you are experiencing latency. This means either your computer ar your soundcard or something can't process data fast enough and it begins to lag. However, I'm not sure how you could fix it short of getting a faster computer.
Quote by fastlanestoner
I'm using Audacity to record some demos. I have a big problem though, in that when I try and lay a guitar track on some drums, as the guitar track progresses on playback it gradually gets behind the drums.

Everything will be even in the beginning, but it's like the track is getting out of line within itself. Any idea how I can fix this??

Make sure that Audacity is the only program running on the system. If you use any instant messengers, like Yahoo, AOL, MSN etc, turn them off completely. If that doesn't help and you have this PC on the Internet while recording, disconnect and shut down your anti-virus software. Some of those (Norton comes to mind) are real resource hogs. Also any resident stuff like Weatherbug etc. Also make sure your hard drive has been defragmented recently, if it is really snotted up that can cause some access problems and Audacity writes the files as it is recording them.

Tony