OK, so far I've been recording with a crappy wee condenser mic (which has actually given some surprisingly pleasant sounds...) but I'm looking to upgrade and get some decent quality mics.

I was thinking along the lines of a couple of AKG C1000s (for vocals, stereo recording of acoustic guitar, drum overheads and the like) and a couple of (yep, you guessed it...Shure SM57s) for electric guitar and snare drum.

Is there anything you'd recommend apart from these? I was thinking about getting the Shure Drum Mic Set, so I'd get the '57s and some others.

Please try to keep it at about the same price range...don't have the prices of the mics to hand, but they're fairly common.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
That seems like a safe bet, there all pretty good mics!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
sennheiser 421. does drums well and kills the 57 for guitar cabs
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
421s? Hmm...will give them a wee bogle. I've heard the name before.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

what shure drum mic set? if they are of the PG series i suggest you stay away, wait dont just stay away...run away!

I've just managed to sell mine actually and they are horrible horrible mics and a waste of money.

Ive never went wrong with the sm57 superb mic i feel For micing a bass drum (if you are i dont know if you are or not) i would suggest the AkG d112 (which ive just bought) or the audix D-5 i think its called, well something along those lines, ive heard really good things a bit cheaper though than the AKG.

For overheads, i would suggest Studio projects mics, the C1 i have personal experience with. It does well as an overhead and is ok on vocals as well. You could use it for guitar amps as well Also the rode nt-5 is a good small condenser that is brilliant for an overhead and can be used as a guitar amp mic as well. My favourite, although its about 2x the price of the mics your looking at is the M-audio solaris. Its my favourite overhead mic that ive bought, it done reasonably well on acoustic guitar and its brilliant with vocals. It can also change from being cardioid, omni and figure of 8

well they are just mics ive used before that ive got good results with, i would also say that you dont really need to mics your toms, well at first anyways you can later on when more money free's up that's what im doing!

hope i could help a little
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

You can't go wrong with a 57. It's the best professional mic for the price. If you're willing to spend a little more to get a decent pair of condenser mics (a matching pair so you can do proper drum overheads...I wouldn't suggest doing overheads with dynamics) I suggest the Audio Technica 4050.
Instruments - Dynamic Shure SM57 cardiod polic diagram.
For Vocals - Condenser Studio Projects B3 with 3 polic diagrams : Ultracardiod, Supercardioid and Cardiod.

For Vocals also try :AKG D-88S.

Thats all I have for microphones now.. But the polic Diagrams REALLY REALLy help depending on your style of music. If you want to record growls then use a dynamic which isn't so sensitive as the condenser.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Hey guys. Im gonna borrow the thread a little.
Is the SM57 good for recording bass? I've read that it goes down to 40hz and the E string on a bass is 37hz and I have a 6-string with a b-string. Is it still gonna work or should I buy different mic?
I've heard that the AKG D112 (usually a kick drum mic) works well on bass...

And thanks for the advice y'all.
Quote by bjoern_swe

Dynamic mikes are extremely poor on bass guitars, unless you like dull, cold, lifeless and muddy bass, which is all you're going to get from the generic Model 57.

ALWAYS use a condenser for bass. Or just use DI. Or do both.

Kick drum doesn't have any low end to it, it's all low mid kick and click, so you can't go round assuming that because they're called "bass" something they're gonna sound the same, and the same mike will work on them both.
Yea I was planing on using both mic and DI.
I heard kick drum mic's works well on bass too.

If not the AKG D112 what mic do you recomend brian?
For the price if you need the 57's pick up the shure drum mic pack which comes with a Beta 52a, 3 SM57's and some really heavy duty drum clamps.
Really wouldnt go micing a snare with an SM57....

And to the poster above, i dont have experience with the Beta range, so I cant vouch for them.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by roast

And to the poster above, i dont have experience with the Beta range, so I cant vouch for them.

Nothing wrong with a 57 on a snare.

Personally, I'd prefer some form of small diagphragm condenser mike. AKG do a little pencil mike, I forget the model, but they're great for snare and hi hit.

Sennheiser 421's are good dynamic mikes, I would consider them to be on par with the 57 for most appliances, but their clips are very flimsy and badly designed.

As for bass guitar, any large diaphragm condenser will work best for bass, be it a little Behringer C1, a Samson C1, a Rode NT-1A or a Neumann U87!

Using a condenser really brings out the warmth, extreme low end, and growl. It's good stuff.
^Cool cool...

We did a gig a while back where the soundman used an SM57 on the snare, but it just didnt sound right compared to other mics...I dunno.

The AKG though....I know the mic your talking about, alas I cannot remember the name.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
I personally wouldn't suggest using a condenser close miced on a snare because of the intense SPL, and condenser's aren't rugged enough to handle those sort of levels.
Quote by roast

What is your reasoning behind not micing the snare with an SM57. Sorry but its just when so many people have been and continue to do so for year, you can't really just state something like that and not explain it.
I don't really know what this comes under but can anybody suggest a decent Vocal effects pad/pedal? I'm pretty new to them but as far as I'm aware Anthony Green, Circa Survive uses one and i'm not overly sure what he uses to gain the effects on his voice. If anyone could help that'd be awesome. Cheers,
Quote by Uncle Fonzie
I personally wouldn't suggest using a condenser close miced on a snare because of the intense SPL, and condenser's aren't rugged enough to handle those sort of levels.

These particular ones are, they're designed with high drum components in mind.

Small diaphragm condensers tend to be a little more robust in my experience, and these little AKG mikes work great.

You don't want to stick it any closer than 2" anyways.
Quote by take_it_t
What is your reasoning behind not micing the snare with an SM57. Sorry but its just when so many people have been and continue to do so for year, you can't really just state something like that and not explain it.

Did you read my other post?

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310