To practice with only a six string? I am going to be helping a friend by playing bass in his band he is supplying the bass and amp until I get my own. I have no experience on a bass guitar but I play classical guitar so I can finger pick and am experienced in my fretting. I would also like to know any differences between the two that I would need to know(out side the fact that the strings are thicker and there are only four of them ).
Last edited by Nacho Cheese! at Nov 12, 2007,
Not much really. Just keep working away at technique.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Not much really. Just keep working away at technique.

That is about what I was thinking. Are there any techniques not applied to six-string?
LIES.
Classical guitar fingering is completely different.
With bass (generally) you want to be using your fingertips, not the nails on your right hand, so having long classical guitar nails won't help you at all...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by fortysix&2
LIES.
Classical guitar fingering is completely different.
With bass (generally) you want to be using your fingertips, not the nails on your right hand, so having long classical guitar nails won't help you at all...

I don't use nails. In classical guitar you are not needed to have nails.
all i have to say is make sure you understand your role in the music if you are playing in a band situation, and seeing as you're a classically trained musician, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. (hopefully)
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
Well, bass takes a lot of patience and prespiration. But you have to know that the deep sounds won't mesh together like guitar will. It'll sound pretty disanant. But you'll pick it up pretty fast. It's a fun instrument that'll have you perplexed sometimes, and rejoicing at others. Have fun with it and good luck!