I'm thinking about getting this amp for Christmas, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Item/Default.aspx?itemno=1145583&urx=1 I'm getting a Gibson Les Paul for my Birthday which is six days before Christmas. I'm willing to spend over $500-700. I play Alternative you know like a Godsmack sort of thing and Metal (sometimes) and a little of whatever Metallica style is. I'm also Getting a Boss DS-1 distortion and a Dunlop Original Cry Baby Wah-Wah. Thanks. (No I'm not spoiled. The amp and effects, Im paying for that.) =§
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
It's great bang for the buck, but IMO, the tone is kinda strange. The leads aren't very good, the distortion sounds good, but it doesn't feel articulated. It sounds like something between a Mesa Recto and Marshall. With the DS1 I'd say it could sound a bit better depending on how you adjust it, but I believe you might be better off saving for something else.

Is there anyway you can pool your money with your xmas money? If so, it sounds like you'd be able to spend up to about $1,200 on an amp.

I'd recommend a Carvin V3 Combo, Mesa F combo, Mesa Trem-O-Verb, used Line 6 Vetta combo. There are many amps out there that would suit you pretty well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
The B-52 is a good amp, for the price it's one of the best you can get. However, if you can go used, you open up a lot more options. If you're getting a tube amp, I'd suggest something other than the DS-1, a Tubescreamer of some sort would be a much better choice.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
They're supposed to be good amps. I'm not sure you need the 100 watt version, though - the 50 watt 112 would be plenty
Quote by MESAexplorer
It's great bang for the buck, but IMO, the tone is kinda strange. The leads aren't very good, the distortion sounds good, but it doesn't feel articulated. It sounds like something between a Mesa Recto and Marshall. With the DS1 I'd say it could sound a bit better depending on how you adjust it, but I believe you might be better off saving for something else.

Is there anyway you can pool your money with your xmas money? If so, it sounds like you'd be able to spend up to about $1,200 on an amp.

I'd recommend a Carvin V3 Combo, Mesa F combo, Mesa Trem-O-Verb, used Line 6 Vetta combo. There are many amps out there that would suit you pretty well.
My dad is paying $1,200 for the Les Paul. I'm can only spend over $600. I dont have that much money saved.
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by MatrixClaw
The B-52 is a good amp, for the price it's one of the best you can get. However, if you can go used, you open up a lot more options. If you're getting a tube amp, I'd suggest something other than the DS-1, a Tubescreamer of some sort would be a much better choice.
I'll check out the Tubescreamer.
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Yes, that's a great, verstile amp, however, I have heard stories that it is unreliable.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
Quote by MetallicGod07
My dad is paying $1,200 for the Les Paul. I'm can only spend over $600. I dont have that much money saved.

Ahh, I read it as if you were getting the amp for Xmas but you're willing to spend $600-$700.

If that's the case, for the price, you can't really beat the B-52 new. Used you could find some better amps for the same price though.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I have the 1x12 60 watt version and I'm plenty satisfied. I really like the clean channel on this amp; deep, rich, and warm. Plenty of head room but if you are looking to play blues with a slight crunch to it, the clean channel won't really cut it without a pedal. The lead channel is also very good. You get a nice tight punchy tone, and you can eq it for some pretty high gain stuff. I have some qualms with it though. Leads on this amp seem a bit weak, and there is alot of upper range harshness present in the speaker. If you want to eliminate this, buy an EQ pedal. You can dial out harsh highs, and turn up the mids for a powerful lead tone. I absolutely recommend an EQ over a distortion with this amp.
12 fret fury
Last edited by Punk Poser at Nov 12, 2007,
I was the owner of two of the B52 60watt 112's. I took both of them back and got something I liked better.
Quote by MESAexplorer
It's great bang for the buck, but IMO, the tone is kinda strange. The leads aren't very good, the distortion sounds good, but it doesn't feel articulated.
I agree. I played one at Guitar Center and didn't like it for whatever reason. It has a "different" kind of fizzy distortion, that I wasn't too crazy about. And, I don't know if it was me or what, but I also didn't feel it had "enough" gain. On the other hand, it does have a very "modern" sound to it, so you MAY like it. It's a personal preference. You HAVE demo one for yourself. Spend the whole day at Guitar Center trying different heads and cabinets. But whatever you do, DO NOT try the Soldano ('cause then everything else will pale in comparison).
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 12, 2007,
The B-52 AT amps are very unreliable. Anyone who says they aren't has no idea what they're talking about. I used to work at a music store. There was a high return rate on these amps, most went in for repair. A lot of stores were complaining about these amps being dead upon arrival. If there's a B-52 AT in a store by you, I'd highly recommend testing it out for a while. There's also issues with the input jack. I don't remember exactly what the problem was, but a lot of the AT's that were on repair had issues with the input jack.

If you find a working one, play around with it for a while. The cleans aren't anything great. I'm sure some will disagree, but I find the distortion to be muddy. I think someone mentioned it earlier, but the distortion on this amp is not very articulate.
Assuming(spelling?) from the comments, this amp sounds pretty good. Well then i guess I'm getting my self a new amp. Thanks! All of you!
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by Guitarmiester
The B-52 AT amps are very unreliable. Anyone who says they aren't has no idea what they're talking about. I used to work at a music store. There was a high return rate on these amps, most went in for repair. A lot of stores were complaining about these amps being dead upon arrival. If there's a B-52 AT in a store by you, I'd highly recommend testing it out for a while. There's also issues with the input jack. I don't remember exactly what the problem was, but a lot of the AT's that were on repair had issues with the input jack.

If you find a working one, play around with it for a while. The cleans aren't anything great. I'm sure some will disagree, but I find the distortion to be muddy. I think someone mentioned it earlier, but the distortion on this amp is not very articulate.
I'll take your word for It. I'm still willing to buy it though.
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by LEVEL4
I agree. I played one at Guitar Center and didn't like it for whatever reason. It has a "different" kind of fizzy distortion, that I wasn't too crazy about. And, I don't know if it was me or what, but I also didn't feel it had "enough" gain. On the other hand, it does have a very "modern" sound to it, so you MAY like it. It's a personal preference. You HAVE demo one for yourself. Spend the whole day at Guitar Center trying different heads and cabinets. But whatever you do, DO NOT try the Soldano ('cause then everything else will pale in comparison).
I never heard of a Soldano. =|
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by Guitarmiester
Have you ever even played the amp in person?
No, but I will. I will never pay over $600 for an amp that I haven't tried out yet. Funny thing is that the workers at Guitar Center test the amp for you. Thats how I get my Line 6 amp 5 months ago. This time I'm gonna test It.
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
You can get a much better amp used for about $600. If you're impressed by user reviewers without even trying the amp on your own... good luck.
Quote by Guitarmiester
You can get a much better amp used for about $600. If you're impressed by user reviewers without even trying the amp on your own... good luck.
Who knows...Maybe I'll come across to a better amp.
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06