Em7				 A			  18x
|------------------------------|-0-x-0---0---0-x-0-x--0--x-0-x -||
|------3---3-x-3-x-3---3-x-3-x-|-2-x-2---2---2-x-2-x--2--x-2-x -||
|------0---0-x-0-x-0---0-x-0-x-|-2-x-2---2---2-x-2-x--2--x-2-x -||
|------2---2-x-2-x-2---2-x-2-x-|-2-x-2---2---2-x-2-x--2--x-2-x -||
|------2---2-x-2-x-2---2-x-2-x-|-0-x----------------------------||
|-0--0-------------------------|--------------------------------||

Real easy, right? But I can't get that chunky palm muting on the upstroke. Am I wrong? Is Neil like dampening with his left hand, or doing all downstrokes or something? Or do I just need more practice with palm muting?

Suggestions welcome,

-Steve
Quote by 0xdefec8
Em7				 A			  18x
|------------------------------|-0-x-0---0---0-x-0-x--0--x-0-x -||
|------3---3-x-3-x-3---3-x-3-x-|-2-x-2---2---2-x-2-x--2--x-2-x -||
|------0---0-x-0-x-0---0-x-0-x-|-2-x-2---2---2-x-2-x--2--x-2-x -||
|------2---2-x-2-x-2---2-x-2-x-|-2-x-2---2---2-x-2-x--2--x-2-x -||
|------2---2-x-2-x-2---2-x-2-x-|-0-x----------------------------||
|-0--0-------------------------|--------------------------------||

Real easy, right? But I can't get that chunky palm muting on the upstroke. Am I wrong? Is Neil like dampening with his left hand, or doing all downstrokes or something? Or do I just need more practice with palm muting?

Suggestions welcome,

-Steve
I dont think the "X's" aren't palm mutes. Unless the tab says to palm mute. The way I see it, you put your finger across the strings lightly touching it, (DO NOT FRET IT) and strum It. If you bought a tab book it woul say "P.M." over the part that needs to be palm muted. Did It say to palm mute?
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
Yeah, I don't think it means to palm-mute either. Usually there is some notation to tell you to palm-mute.

What it is in this song is where you place your fingers at their positions, DON'T FRET THEM, and then strum. It is called a rake in some places and has a percussive sound.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
i think i got close to the sound using my fingernails to rake the strings one time...but..yeah
x's don't mean to palm mute my man.

If you see a ton of X's... It means to 'chuck'. Just lay a finger across the strings and whack the hell out of em with your pick.
Ok, so I've just lay my fingers lightly across the strings to mute them and strummed and it sounded exactly the same when I palm muted the all the open strings....... go figure :P
Then your palm muting technique needs quite the refinement. Palm muting is NOT meant to deaden the strings all the way, it is meant to DAMPEN them. You should still get note articulation, albeit lower in volume and bit chunkier.

Chucking involves COMPLETELY deadening the strings, aka, no articulated notes. Just a loud percussive whack.