Right, so my friend had this sitting in his basement. So he gave it to me.

What am I dealing with here, aside from a missing string? It says Abilene on it, and on the back I got LB-11/SB. Google, my loyal friend has entirely failed me. Is this thing worth keeping, or what?
Quote by Jurble
What am I dealing with here, aside from a missing string?

...a bass
Quote by bassboy 999
Cheers to you triple x maniac

Quote by snipelfritz
Wait, your dick is in a chick's ass, and you're complaining.

Its a sad, sad day.
it was free and in decent shape. Keep it, mod it. Throw in some new PUPS, bridge, tuners, maybe a better output jack, and give it a good set up.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
I think that company went out of business, I don't think the guitar is worth much either.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
knock off of a fender. i agree just keep it and modd it. if you want.
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
its def. not worth much if thats what you're asking, but from the looks of it, it would probably be along the lines of a crappy starter bass, the bridge and pickups don't look very good, it looks like it wasn't a very nice quality bass when it was new, and now its all beat up

however though, if you were looking to get into bass, this might make it easier
Abilene is a company under the Samick Guitar company. Its Korean made, and one of many P bass clones out there. They're not bad starter basses, esp. when they come free. Under 100 USD of electronics and such could make it into a good sounding bass.
It's a cheapy p-type - stick some new p-ups, tuners and a decent bridge, on it (mmm I'd stick a Badass on it).
And you'll have a good enough instrument.
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Also, being a girly-girl.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

What kind of music are you interested in playing? What kind of sound are you looking for.

I opted for the Seymour Duncan Quarter pounders myself on my mod, but the sound of those pups are not for everyone and all types of music. And you may want to consider pulling out all of the electronics, not just the pups btw. However, P basses are dead easy to re-wire.
Shop around and try different gear with different p-ups before you decide.
A quarterpounder would be my choice though.
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Also, being a girly-girl.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

Well at anyrate, I opened this this thing up to have a look around. A lot less stuff in there than I would've imagined.

But more importantly ,what does this mystery sticker signify?
That bass looks made of plywood to me. Not worth upgrading imo, any upgrades will make minimal difference. Although throw some new strings on it and set it up and it'll good to learn on.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Get it in working condition and then give it to your nephew or little brother or younger cousin. Anyone who needs a hobby or needs to stay out of trouble. Give them a book of scales and a copy of Appetite for Destruction by GnR.
After a close look like that I think it's a homemade bass. The materials and craftsmanship are just really low.
Quote by Forcemaster
That bass looks made of plywood to me. Not worth upgrading imo, any upgrades will make minimal difference. Although throw some new strings on it and set it up and it'll good to learn on.

+1

No matter what fancy electronics you throw on it, plywood will sound crap. However, if you are looking into playing bass, grab yourself a cheap practise combo and play around. If it tunrs out rubbish, sell the bass and amp on eBay for overall profit. If you want to continue, then you can upgradea to a better starter bass, or even mid level.

After a close look like that I think it's a homemade bass. The materials and craftsmanship are just really low.

Actually, most homemade basses will be pretty good, due to people taking care over making a good instrument for themself. And the finish suggests otherwise. More than a beginner could do.

It's just a cheap asian knockoff.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at Nov 12, 2007,