what are the advantages/disadvantages of both? im going to be buying my first bass soon and i want to know which would be better more versatile. as a giutarist i play a lot of everything, and i think that will be the same for bass. its been a month of research in the bass forum asking for help and ive never asked this question. my max budget is $200 so im looking into a squier or cheap ibanez bass and possibly modding the hell out of it later on. i dont think ill be a bassist over a guitarist, since i only need this bass for the school band and the occasional jam.

so which is more versatile and what are the advantages/disadvantages of both?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Try them and you will see.

That is the best way to understand.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Get a j/p - best of both worlds with no disadvantages.
Ibanez do a workmanlike Soundgear j/p in your price range.
Just try before you buy though, the quality can be variable.
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Also, being a girly-girl.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

Quote by FbSa
J-basses will usually have thinner necks and a warmer tone, were as P-basses will have faster actions and brighter sounds.

fixed

and i'm not sure about the action comment because jazz basses have really fast necks
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
The jazz bass mafia will tell you that the Jazz is more versatile, and they are probably correct on many fronts with this assertion. However, there is something really old school about the Precision sound that makes me just melt inside when I hear one.

Sekhmet is right; you can get a P/J pickup on many decent Ibanez and other entry-mid range models. I own one myself--but I've kept my P bass clone as well, because the Ibanez doesn't quite match the sound of a true P Bass.

Try them both--your own ears and hands are going to be the best critics here. And you'll get to spend a great afternoon in a music shop to boot.
Tha action would depend on the set-up.
And P-types have a thumpier sound than Js - more low end, less treble.
The P-type p-up has a 'beefier' sound, the Jazz has a thinner single coil p-up tone, it's bitey like a little jack russel terrier.
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

It all depends on what style you MOSTLY play...

a good alround rock bass has to be the Jazz bass, as most of them have nice thin necks and brilliant tone possibilities.

but for the more funk style bass, the P bass wins hands down with a good all-round frequency range.

I'm a J bass myself, because i love the low's and that thin neck...but ive played a few awesome P's as well (however they were over £600)
*1962 Fender MIM Jazz Bass (re-issue) with added pickup and bridge covers

*Hipshot D-tuner

*1970's-80's Carlsbro Cobra 90 Bass Amp

*Mini-Q-Tron electro-harmonix envelope filter
Quote by Sekhmet
Get a j/p - best of both worlds with no disadvantages.
Ibanez do a workmanlike Soundgear j/p in your price range.
Just try before you buy though, the quality can be variable.

*puts hand up* One major disadvantage (that has thrown me off entirely, ever getting a P/J combo) I have spotted is that, the best thing about a J bass is the combining of the two pickups. That's what makes the jazz bass' sound exemplary, and when you take out that ability and put in a P pickup it kind of ruins it for me.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
*puts hand up* One major disadvantage (that has thrown me off entirely, ever getting a P/J combo) I have spotted is that, the best thing about a J bass is the combining of the two pickups. That's what makes the jazz bass' sound exemplary, and when you take out that ability and put in a P pickup it kind of ruins it for me.

That's why you should try before you buy, on any instrument, personal preferences are so important.
I still maintain the p/j is the dogs bolox - maybe you just haven't found the right one yet.
You should listen to Creepingjesus73's mp3s to hear a really tasty p/j in action...
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by Creepingjesus73

It's easier to get a sound that's almost like a P bass out of a J bass, but it's near impossible to get the sound of a J bass out of a P bass.

I love both.
Quote by Sekhmet
That's why you should try before you buy, on any instrument, personal preferences are so important.
I still maintain the p/j is the dogs bolox - maybe you just haven't found the right one yet.
You should listen to Creepingjesus73's mp3s to hear a really tasty p/j in action...

I've tried several. and they just don't do it for me. They just seem like they're trying to get the tone of the p and the tone of the j at the same time but can't quite do it. They don't sit well, with me, I will always prefer one or the other. (Yes that's right I just admitted to liking a p-bass.)
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I've tried several. and they just don't do it for me. They just seem like they're trying to get the tone of the p and the tone of the j at the same time but can't quite do it. They don't sit well, with me, I will always prefer one or the other. (Yes that's right I just admitted to liking a p-bass.)

When I was trying out the Vinatge Modifieds and some Fender Standards, I also played a few Ibanezes, one of which was a P/J. It didn't sound good at all, and it felt too small. I'm not a big bloke- I'm 5'10. However, the Ibanez felt tiny and uncomfortable.
That's just the nature of an Ibanez. They all feel small and, no offence, girly. Whereas you grab a Fender Deluxe J or something like that and you're like. I AM MAN HEAR ME ROAR. That's just how I feel about Ibanez.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That's just the nature of an Ibanez. They all feel small and, no offence, girly. Whereas you grab a Fender Deluxe J or something like that and you're like. I AM MAN HEAR ME ROAR. That's just how I feel about Ibanez.

I'm the puniest, girliest bloke most people I know could think of, and Ibanezes STILL feel titchy in my hands. The only person I know who likes the way they feel is my girlfriend, but she's 5'4 and has the most adorable little hands...
It's all about finding what fits, though so I thought I throw that one in...Meh!
Horses for courses and all that Jazz, (or p-type ).
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by Creepingjesus73

You can search bar a thousand threads about this for an answer, TS, however, the quintessential Jazz/slap tone does indeed come from 2 Jazz single coils. A P/J can emulate it no more than a single Jazz neck pickup can emulate a P pickup. That said, the tone of a P/J with both pickups full is quite nice and modern - however, being both a Precision owner and a Jazz owner and a former P/J owner, I saw J all the way.

And about Ibanez - I think they've earned their stereotype as a failed guitarists axe. I really do believe that neck size is something you get used to, and super thin necks might feel nice for guitar players who don't want to relearn everything, but in the long run I think it does more harm than good. The fact that they endorse a bunch of failed guitarists and have TWO signature basses with hardwired EQ's and pickup blends doesn't help things, either.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
what about soapbars and hums?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D: