I hope that this is in the correct forum! I'm hoping that someone could shed any light on a recent problem I've noticed. One of my guitars is a Hohner LW1200N 12 String which I've owned for nearly 18 years, all of them trouble free. Though not in the elite guitars models I've always loved the tone and richness of sound that it produces, so it really has been a good old faithful to me. I have had it strung as a six string for the past 3 years without any problems but I picked it up to play recently after not being touched for about 4 months and there's something wrong which I've never seen before. When I fret a note on the A string on both the 11th and 12th frets I get the same note (A) the G# has vanished on the 11th fret. Can't really understand it, inotation's still spot on, all frets are level and haven't popped out, could it be something with the neck, doesn't look out of shape when viewed down from the headstock. It's tuned to the standard EADGBe and isn't subjected to any adverse temperature conditions. Baffled, any ideas?
Kind regards
hmm, i'm pretty much just as baffled as you are...and all other notes seem to be ringing at the proper pitch? just that fret at that string? because if it did it for all the strings at that spot you could narrow it down to it being a fret issue. if it is just on your A string then check the bridge and the nut to see if your string is set properly. other than that i really don't have any idea.
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
Yes rather baffling, all other strings are in perfect pitch and it is just one pesky string. The only thing I can probably think of is neck relief but I would only exepct this when all other strings were out.....weird.
Hmm. Have you checked the neck relief?
Looked for warping and such?
Is the bridge saddle OK?
Might be a dodgy set of strings...

EDIT: I just thought, is there any fret ware? That could be it... if it hasn't been done in 18 years then it's probably due to be re-done.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Last edited by guitaristclass at Nov 12, 2007,
Quote by guitaristclass
I just thought, is there any fret ware? That could be it... if it hasn't been done in 18 years then it's probably due to be re-done.

This would be my guess as well. Perhaps the 11th fret has flattened out more than the rest of the frets causing the string to actually lie across the 11th and 12th frets when you try to play the G#. Have a close look when you gret the 11th and see if the string is actually resting across the 12th fret as well.
You'll have to substitute every '11' in every tab for 10 b.

That's really annoying though. Then again you could get by without doing anything, if you can't afford the fret work (if that is indeed the issue). Not often you play 11th fret on a 12 string?!
jimtaka and guitarist class you are both spot on. It's as clear as day, I spent a while looking at the frets and you are both right, the 11th & 12th frets are quite worn down up towards the D,A & E strings. How did I not think of the most obvious cause?!! Thanks very much for your replys and suggestions, I think it's time to carry out a complete re-fret and put some life back into the old girl!

Thanks again
^ Be prepared to spend several hundred dollars accomplishing that. I would get a good estimate first, and then carefully consider the worth of the guitar (both monetary and personal worth) and the price of the redressing of the neck and make sure its worth it to you before you start the process.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
No probs man, it's what we're here for.
If he can do it himself it shouldn't be very expensive. Even expensive fretwire isn't that much for what you get... you do need the right tools to do it though.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Yes I know it can be a tricky job with little room for error. I've successfuly managed to refret one of my other guitars (Epiphone EJ-200), if you're careful enough and have the right tools it's not a problem. Fret wire isn't that expensive. I think it cost me £15 for some good quaility wire for the Epi and I already had the tools, didn't do a bad job even if I do say so myself. Made a big difference when it was done.