there is no way in heck that a modeling guitar, such as the variax 600, can match the tonal quality of an american stratocaster. I also realized that i wont be needing a sitar, twelve string, banjo, or dobro setting on my guitar anytime soon.

So now the ive got my mind set on an American strat specificallythis one is there any other guitar on the market, with similar versatility, that matches or gets close to the quality and sound of this guitar that i should check out?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
You've chosen.....

wisely.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
Quote by bored_maniac33
there is no way in heck that a modeling guitar, such as the variax 600, can match the tonal quality of an american stratocaster. I also realized that i wont be needing a sitar, twelve string, banjo, or dobro setting on my guitar anytime soon.

So now the ive got my mind set on an American strat specificallythis one is there any other guitar on the market, with similar versatility, that matches or gets close to the quality and sound of this guitar that i should check out?

One could make a case for the Ibanez SA2160FM, but it's more expensive and it has a different feel.

The Strat you're looking at is an incredible guitar. You can't really go wrong with and American strat in terms of sound and feel, plus their pricing isn't too bad.

One thing you could do though, is to go to a music store and try a few different models in your price range to get an idea of what other brands have to offer in your price range.

By the way, what fretboard wood and colour are you looking at?

The only one pictured on the Fender site looks awesome.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Nov 12, 2007,
It's an American Strat, the guitar pretty much all others are compared to. You can't really go wrong with that. My advice is to go to a local guitar store with lots of guitars and test EVERY one in your price range. Within any price range the guitars are going to be close in nearly every aspect, it pretty much comes down to personal preference and the only way to develop that is to play the guitars yourself.
Thats MY guitar. Color and everything. 'Cept for the pickguard, I replaced mine with a black one. And I have a rosewood fretboard.

Get it, for sure. But make sure you don't get a rosewood fretboard and a black pickguard because thats MINE. =)
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Thats MY guitar. Color and everything. 'Cept for the pickguard, I replaced mine with a black one. And I have a rosewood fretboard.

Get it, for sure. But make sure you don't get a rosewood fretboard and a black pickguard because thats MINE. =)

Besides, everyone knows maple is for winners!

The Carvin Bolt T is a better guitar for a lot cheaper.

Customize it to your own specifications, and buy some Rock Monkey pickups with the extra cash
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Besides, everyone knows maple is for winners!

woot!!!! yes indeed. but it rly depends on the guitar
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by FacingUsAll

Customize it to your own specifications, and buy some Rock Monkey pickups with the extra cash

that would be nifty, but i have no way of trying it out before playing it.
im ordering from my local shop and the guy tests out and setups each guitar and if it doesnt meet his standards than he sends it back. I trust him because hes been a friend of the family for a while and he is a rly freaking awesome guitar player.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by FacingUsAll

You're not going to have mountains left over.

Also, the American Strat is a great guitar and, unlike the custom Carvins, it doesn't take ages to arrive.

Quote by bored_maniac33
that would be nifty, but i have no way of trying it out before playing it.
im ordering from my local shop and the guy tests out and setups each guitar and if it doesnt meet his standards than he sends it back. I trust him because hes been a friend of the family for a while and he is a rly freaking awesome guitar player.

That's good.

Many guitars arriving on peoples doorsteps these days haven't been played after they've left the factory, although some companies do go through the trouble of opening the boxes to give them a very brief check before shipping them again.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Nov 12, 2007,
American Strats are amazing. A shop here had a white one a year ago, and I swear Hendrix was in it. the sound and feel was unreal. Apparently someone else thought so too, as I came back the next week and it was gone... Variax are nice for the studio imo, especially when paired with like a Vetta, a Variax 700, Vetta, and Long Board is a hard to beat combo, but to get the most from a Variax, you need the top model and one of Line 6s nicer pieces of gear that can work with it imo. but yeah, Strats are pretty awesome.
Quote by CJRocker
Variax are nice for the studio imo, especially when paired with like a Vetta, a Variax 700, Vetta, and Long Board is a hard to beat combo, but to get the most from a Variax, you need the top model and one of Line 6s nicer pieces of gear that can work with it imo. but yeah, Strats are pretty awesome.

yea, see ill be dealing with a spider amp most likely, not my tube amp. cause idk about taking a 50 year old amp to a college dorm...even if it is a dry campus...
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
yea, see ill be dealing with a spider amp most likely, not my tube amp. cause idk about taking a 50 year old amp to a college dorm...even if it is a dry campus...

You have a nicer Spider, and if you tinker with it, its a good, if slightly digital sounding, amp.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Besides, everyone knows maple is for weiners!

Fixed.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by CJRocker
You have a nicer Spider, and if you tinker with it, its a good, if slightly digital sounding, amp.

oh yea i love it, but it doesnt do anything special with the Variax, and i wont have the cash to get a POD XTL or anything is what im saying. or at least i think i was trying to say......well thats wat im saying now! anyways, compared on spiders, the American won
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Bonsaischaap
You're not going to have mountains left over.

Also, the American Strat is a great guitar and, unlike the custom Carvins, it doesn't take ages to arrive.

A base Bolt-T HSS with hardshell case is $723. (with Coil Split bridge ).
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Nov 12, 2007,
Quote by FacingUsAll
A base Bolt-T HSS with hardshell case is $723. (with Coil Split bridge ).

My HSS was 1100USD last year =(

Got it for 900 tho so no worries.
-Jim Morrison