Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, what's a solo that seriously kicks ass, AND is technically very difficult. I would like to challenge myself and learn a solo so that when I walk into a Long & McQuades or what-have-you, I can pick up a sweet guitar and bust out the solo for ________.
I'm welcome to all sorts of ideas. Throw 'em out boys & girls.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
the autumn offering-
one last thrill
dacay
and, no end in sight...sutch a moving solo at first, and then it gets fast
learn to improvise, and make up your own original solo, that would be more impressive
SG commando

Inserts hilarious quote here
Quote by punk_rock_isaac
learn to improvise, and make up your own original solo, that would be more impressive

Yes, I know, I'm good at improving, I'm just not good at making something complex that sounds good.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
Oh ya guys, and if you can, try not to suggest Dragonforce, thats a bit too cumbersome for what I'm looking for...
Pink Floyd fan? Obviously Try the solo for Time. Add in some fuzz and delay and that would be a solo to blow their brains out.
Quote by ECwomantoneman
Pink Floyd fan? Obviously Try the solo for Time. Add in some fuzz and delay and that would be a solo to blow their brains out.

Ya, I love that solo. Makes me all warm and FUZZy inside.
I can already play that one though...
Off the top of my head...

"Spanish Fly" by Van Halen

"Tornado of Souls" by Megadeth. Or in fact any of the solos by Marty Friedman on the Rust In Peace album.

The tapped descending 5ths bit in Guthrie Govan's "Sevens".

"The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing" by Joe Satriani

But the best thing you can do to get respect from other players is to make sure you have a good vibrato-it's one of the most overlooked things in a guitarists arsenal. I hate hearing some cocky young bedroom guitarist in a guitar shop with a spastic, Kirk Hammet-style vibrato.
Last edited by Nolly at Nov 12, 2007,
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Keep 'em comin'!
Steve and SRV for uniqe sound + speed.

malmsteem for classical sound...
paul gilbert for just notes....
smile
Quote by Dave Gilmour
Oh ya guys, and if you can, try not to suggest Dragonforce, thats a bit too cumbersome for what I'm looking for...

Who the hell would suggest such terrible playing? "I Herman Ri, I greatest guitareest, im so damn good i play my music at half speed then use computer to double time" worsthelss POS. Onto my post. Crossroads - Cream
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Hey, gilbert isnt "just notes" he has a vast musical knowledge that he uses in his music.

i agree. his phrasing is simply amazing. anyone who says otherwise is full of crap.

most of you can only dream of accomplishing the command of accuracy, speed, and technique he has.
Learn Mr Crowley by Ozzy, thats a really impressive solo if you can play it right, plus it still sounds cool without a backing track along with it.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
Metallica - nothing else matters

guns and roses - sweet child o'mine (solo's, intro etc.)

Garymoore - walking by myself (easy improvised)

metallica - sad but true
i got a good one.

Ozzy Osbourne - goodbye to romance (neo classical, melodic, and a bit of shreddy licks)
Quote by Kanthras

yer jason becker is good, ..interesting paragraph here ...

"At the age of 20, he joined David Lee Roth's band, which was considered an excellent gig for an up and coming guitarist (e.g., Steve Vai, whom Becker replaced). Whilst recording the album A Little Ain't Enough and preparing for the respective tour, he began to feel what he called a "lazy limp" on his left leg. He was soon diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS - aka Lou Gehrig's Disease) and given three years to live. He could barely finish the recording, using low-gauge (thin) guitar strings and other techniques to make it easier to play with his weakened hand. No one knew of his illness at the time except for his friend Steve Hunter. Although he managed to finish the album (which later went gold), he was forced to depart from the tour due to his inability to perform on stage."
Yeah, a very sad story. Such a terrible shame one of the greatest guitarists in the world is now paralyzed.
I bet he would kick anyones butt these days at guitar if he didn't have that disease.
Painkiller. Judas Priest. Perfect example of how shredding can be used as part of tasteful phrasing.
Epiphone Dot Studio
Peavey Valve King 112 (w/ Eminence Texas Heat)
Digitech Hot Head
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95
Elixir .010-.052
pretty much any solo by avenged sevenfold or metallica
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
most metallica stuff will have guitar shop assistants tearing their hair out....

i recommend Stairway to Heaven.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Any necrophagist solo.
also Obituary-Cause of Death... the solo at the beginning is amazing. I don't care if you don't like the singing, you can admit they know how to play.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Quote by JOn`
most metallica stuff will have guitar shop assistants tearing their hair out....

i recommend Stairway to Heaven.

whos that by ?
I wonder how many times per day the people at Guitar Center hear Stairway to heaven.

Im surprised no one has suggested Dream Theater, or John petrucci. Look at the solo from Constant motion by dream theater. Those arpeggios are crazy.
Quote by DieKrupps
whos that by ?

some band called Lead Balloon...I dunno, apparently they were big.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Pretty much most Randy Rhoads solos are demanding (and fun once you get em down). Some Steve Vai or Joe Satriani is pretty impressive to hear in a music store when it's play well. Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation has some sick solos in it too (if you like trivium).
why hasn't anyone mentioned "Eruption" yet?? Eddie's solos are killer (even the simple ones).
Like Hell- Loudness. cool riff and a cool solo. not too many people will have heard it either so people won't be sick of it.

2 become 1-Paul Gilbert. 1st solo isn't hard but sounds good. 2nd solo isn't really that hard but it has a fast part in it that fecks me up.

Deliverance-Firewind. Love the solo for that. not too hard either.

they're a few of my favourite solos.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Try the solo to Under A Glass Moon by Dream Theater. Should be quite challenging.
Page 1 of 2