How the hell do bands like Dream Theater write 6-10 minute songs and continue to do so for over 10 years?

It's been 7 months and i've literally written nothing new. I have a few riffs but no way of putting them together. I've been trying to take my songwriting to the next level by writing progressive stuff like Dream Theater. Ive tried learning more theory, staying away from my guitar for 3 weeks, listening and playing new music like jazz and blues but i can't find inspiration in anything. Ive tried learning songs by my favorite bands and still nothing. If anyone knows how i can fix my problem or find some type of inspiration I would love to hear it because im starting to get frustrated.

Thanks.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Just relax, think of subjects that you could base lyrics around, focus on the emotion behind it and naturally some form of lyrics or riffage should come to your head, just play around with either one and try to work around it.

I have no idea how bands do it, though, that was just a thought.
Quote by jaffawoman
Just relax, think of subjects that you could base lyrics around, focus on the emotion behind it and naturally some form of lyrics or riffage should come to your head, just play around with either one and try to work around it.

I have no idea how bands do it, though, that was just a thought.

I can't write lyrics.
Quote by csn00b
Quote by jpgilbert701
I can't write lyrics.

Yes you can. And the more you do it, the better you will get at it.

For inspiration, read books, read the news, movies, visual art, history, even computer games. Take the ideas you get from these and express them musically.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Last edited by Ænimus Prime at Nov 12, 2007,
a lot of creativity and motivation comes along with the chemistry of band members, so thats probably how.
Take up a new instrument. Maybe buy one of those finger pianos, I wouldn't mind having one Listen to something that you really never thought you'd enjoy. Try some artists from Warp records. Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher. That'll give you something new to think about. You should also know that most of the greatest pieces ever composed are so simple. Dream Theatre may hit you with jumpy meter alterations and 55 notes per second, but honestly, I'd rather listen to a 3 minute pop song.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
just take a break away from writting or music, after a while you will be inspired again... i hope :d
Quote by jpgilbert701
I can't write lyrics.

Not with that attitude, you can't.
Sounds like you're trying too hard, you need to write music to express an emotion, not to add another song to your originals list.
i think that jaffawoman said it all here. Just play around on the guitar. Dont care what comes out and dont try. Just let whatever happen, happen and you're bound to hear something thats gonna catch your ear.
i said i can't write lyrics simply because im not trying to write lyrics. Ive never really been the type of person to write lyrics. I express myself better through the instrumental aspect instead of the lyrics.
Quote by csn00b
Quote by jpgilbert701
i said i can't write lyrics simply because im not trying to write lyrics. Ive never really been the type of person to write lyrics. I express myself better through the instrumental aspect instead of the lyrics.

many people are like, and it is true that some people have a gift, but like it has been stated, many lyrics and music can be very simple. filled with emotion.
Write songs. It doesn't matter if you don't think they're original or good, just write and record them, get them out of your system.
Search for some different bands that you wouldn't thought you would ever enjoy. Like for example I heard this band called The Fratellis, and I really only liked 1 verse out of one song of theirs. But then I was in the same prediciment as you and I checked em out and I LOVED EM!
Now I listen to them just as often as I listen to my favorite bands (ex. The Confession, Avenged Sevenfold)
First- hello, saying you can't write lyrics is a self fulfilling prophecy. Could you play your favorite song the first time you picked up the guitar? Same deal with writing. You had to practice to get good on your instrument. You have to practice to write well.

Second- everyone goes through dry spells from time to time. It happens. Everyone needs time to recharge. What else feeds your soul? Focus for a while on something else that feeds the part of you your music comes from. Take the pressure off yourself for a while, and the music will come back.
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker