Is this a new brand? i mean I've never heard of it before.
I know that most of caparison guitars come with Dean Markley strings.
Are they good?
The basic ones are inexpensive and I used them when I used to break a lot of strings. I like them about as much as Ernie Ball. I haven't tried their high end ones. I'm a D'Addario person myself. But most strings are all made in the same 2 or 3 factories anyway. There's not much of a difference between brands when you're talking plain steel strings.
Hi, I'm Peter
I've used only Dean Markleys for years w/ no problems. I bend & beat strings to death, & they still hold up. I do a lot of full-step vibrato stuff (ZW peench harm00nix!) & they retain their sound quality for quite a while.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I'm a D'Addario user. Dean Markley is not a new brand of strings. I don't know why but I think Dean Markley is in competition with Ernie Ball. I dunno. I like D'Addario.
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
i'm a D'addario user too but i might try them someday thanks.
Quote by Dirk Gently
The basic ones are inexpensive and I used them when I used to break a lot of strings. I like them about as much as Ernie Ball. I haven't tried their high end ones. I'm a D'Addario person myself. But most strings are all made in the same 2 or 3 factories anyway. There's not much of a difference between brands when you're talking plain steel strings.

Not much difference? No way, D'addarios/fenders/gibsons/DR's/ernieballs/GHS/Markleys/Elixer's all sound completely different. They also all have different gauges, so the feel completely different. And they all react to your hands differently, I'll kill Ernie Balls in two hours, but a set of Markleys last me two weeks.

If you're a D'addario user Markleys may be very bright for you, they have a good bluesy twang that sounds full and bright, but not in a tinny way like GHS do. IMO D'addarios sound flat compared to Markleys.

Give em a try, but if you love D'addarios you might think Markleys aren't too great. I'd personally take Markleys over anything else apart from Elixers.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by TGM
Not much difference? No way, D'addarios/fenders/gibsons/DR's/ernieballs/GHS/Markleys/Elixer's all sound completely different. They also all have different gauges, so the feel completely different.

Hyperbole. First, every brand offers different gauges, so that's kind of a silly point, and second, how much variation can there be between a plain steel string? They all vibrate the same. There really isn't that much variation between string brands. Sorry. Now if you're talking about coated strings or strings that are a nickel alloy or are pure nickel, then yes, you'll see a difference, since nickel will change the density and the magnetism of the string. The same with coated.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Nov 13, 2007,
I use whatever is on sale. Dean Markleys and Ernie Ball have been my brands of choice for over 25 years.
I bought two sets of Dean Markley Yngwie’s Magic 8815, resulting in guitar with five DM strings and 1 GHS Boomer spare.

I turned to this particular set because the intriguing set of gauges. They seemed to answer my yearnings and rid me of buying single strings in order to build me a set.

Upon installation of the first DM 8815 set, the so called “Yngwie's projectile end” of the fourth string came clean off when I was just beginning to tighten the string up – it was way below the Db I normally tune to. It broke so easily it almost just fell off. Swearing, I turned to the second set I was unfortunate enough to have purchased, took out the fourth string, installed it, started tightening, and lo – same thing. Aghast, I kept installing the rest of the set and just guess what took place with the first string? Exactly the same. Thus I was forced to take the first string out of the second set as well and left waiting for Monday to get me a spare 4th. So much for recording guitar tracks that day.

Yes, of course I have complained to Banzai Musical Products in Germany, where I ordered my strings from, and Dean Markley in U.S.A. Logically, they owe me six or more sets of these strings, since two sets obviously can’t produce six strings for my guitar. I requested both of them for details as to how will I get compensation, but I seriously doubt they will get back to me since it has already been pending for quite some time. Unfortunately, such arrogant, ignorant and irresponsible customer service seems to be of standard these days, doesn’t it?

What makes it so enormously frustrating is the fact that the feel and the sound of these strings are probably the best I’ve ever had – they really make my Fender Stratocaster sing.

I know it’s only two sets of strings, but I should imagine each and every guitarist wishes to buy strings knowing they won’t let you down straight out of the package, were it one set, two sets or 100 sets. 25 years of guitar and never have I encountered such low standard of quality control and craftsmanship. Two faulty sets in a row. I am never going to make the mistake of buying anything Dean Markley again, lest they come forward with acceptable explanation and adequate compensation. I have to admit that I had slightly high hopes for Dean Markley what comes to quality, but here we are. Rubbish.

Similar experience? Let’s boycott.

-Juha-
I've been using Dean Markleys since the late 70's, their Blue Steel strings for 15 years or so, and have had no problems until a couple of years ago when the local music store got a half dozen sets that were rusted in the package and quit selling them. So I'm trying out different strings now, and can't find anything I like as well as the Blue Steels, which I can't get locally any more.

Every time I go out of town I stock up on Blue Steel strings, nothing else sounds as good that I've found or lasts as long. Right now I'm having to settle for nickel wound, since nobody carries any steel strings around here at all...so I just get whatever is cheap, I can't get the sound I want out of nickel anyway.

I've had a couple of ball ends pop off, but that's been pretty uncommon, maybe a half dozen in 30 years.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...