How could I go about making a bassline a little more interesting when the bass is just playing the root notes of the guitar chords?

Thanks
walk up to notes. lets say it was something like:

E-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10

you could go

E-0-0-0-0-0-0-2-2-3-3-3-3-3-3-5-7-8-8-8-8-8-8-12-12-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-

or you can play like certain notes from a scale and move it around with each chord

or play arpeggios of each chord

edit: listen to what stephen said. the thing about a totally different part. that can sound awesome too. listen to the bas sin the verse of crazy train. thats probably my favorite example
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by InanezGuitars44 at Nov 12, 2007,
ya playing fifth notes, and arpeggiating the chords are good ideas, or just come up with a completely different part for the bass
Try playing a few octaves up, and using 6 strings maybe...

cough...
MARK ALL THAT APPLY:

[_] [_] [_] [_] [x]

Quote by cagnius
Shut up. Actually, higher mods...can we ban him for being a cunt?
What you need to learn is that there is no fixed formula to making a bassline interesting.

Listen to the song, and hum to yourself what you think the bass should sound like, figure how to play it and then evolveit until you find what you want.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I usually like to throw in some octaves, fifths, walk a third, But a lot of times I'll play the chords the guitar is playing, well at least 4 notes outta the chord. Usually the root, third, fifth, and whatever makes the chord that specific chord. Like if it's a 7th, I'll play the 7b, or if it's a 9, I'll play the 9th. But if it's just major I'll probabally throw in the octave.
To make a bass line more intersting, my personal favourite is to 'walk' up to an octave using a pentatonic (usually fits in fine in most places), or if the bar's of the song are really short just a simple...

|-----3---------|
|-------5--5---|
|---------5--5-|

...will work wonders. best of all it will fit into ANY song at ANY time....especially good for that extra boost of "feeling" as your lead ego (guitarist) breaks into his solo.
*1962 Fender MIM Jazz Bass (re-issue) with added pickup and bridge covers

*Hipshot D-tuner

*1970's-80's Carlsbro Cobra 90 Bass Amp

*Mini-Q-Tron electro-harmonix envelope filter
Quote by gm jack
What you need to learn is that there is no fixed formula to making a bassline interesting.

Listen to the song, and hum to yourself what you think the bass should sound like, figure how to play it and then evolveit until you find what you want.

exactly.