Page 1 of 2
out of the OD-3, OS-2, SD-1, and BD-2.

i'm pretty cheap so yea.

could any of these compare to a ts808? should i just get a modded SD-1 and forget these?
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
yeah buy a SD-1 a mod it (or let someone do it)

i'm think i'll send my sd-1 for mod. it's a very good pedal
The Blues Driver. But being cheap, you may as well go with the Digitech Bad Monkey.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
actually the OS-2 (it has THE crappiest distortion ever)... gives me the best overdrive ive tried so far
Slats beat me to it...the Bad Monkey is definitely better than any of them. To be honest I even prefer the sound of a Behringer TO800 to the Blues Driver, though it's a piece of s**t in every other respect.
Deffinately the BD-2. Deffinately NOT the Super Overdrive.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
i'm not really gonna use it as my main...well kinda...i plan on using my amp's OD (although maybe not the best: Valveking 112) and this with maybe just a little bit gain just to be a boost and other crazy ways that i cant put in words.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by kyle62
Slats beat me to it...the Bad Monkey is definitely better than any of them. To be honest I even prefer the sound of a Behringer TO800 to the Blues Driver, though it's a piece of s**t in every other respect.

Yeah the bad monkey is an amazing pedal

Imo it's the best OD pedal you can get for the money no question about it
isnt the bad monkey NOT a true bypass? does anyone know if BOSS pedals are? i'm looking into mods on ebay...but prolly wont get one until like christmas or something because i've been buying too much lately
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Most Boss pedals are true bypass, or at least buffered.

I said not the Super OD simply from experience. I don't know what amp yo have, but it made my Twin sound like a small solid state.
It cut the volume in tone in at least half. It sounded exactly like the Beatles' Day Tripper, which was cool, but I couldn't use it for any other song. And I couldn't even use it to boost any other pedals cause it made any pedal used with it sound just as awful.

Long story short, instead of taking up the space on my board and the tone from my beauty, I removed it from my board and will probably trade it in at GC or sell it. It sounds good on my Squier amp though...so maybe if you have a ss it'd be good.

The BD-2 on the other hand is a wonderful pedal. Great blues tone, very versatile. Probably my favorite pedal after my big muff.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
^ i like my sd-1
i originally bought it figuring id mod it but then when i tried it in the store i liked it, then when i played through my amp it was even better
but i guess its just an opinion
Agile Septor 6 - flame blue: Tonezone/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG350 in black
Douglas Strat copy w/ flame red and licensed floyd: JB bridge/ProTrack neck

Bugera 333 2x12 combo jj tubes
Epiphone Valve Junior head--modified

Boss SD-1
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
I said not the Super OD simply from experience. I don't know what amp yo have, but it made my Twin sound like a small solid state.
It cut the volume in tone in at least half. It sounded exactly like the Beatles' Day Tripper, which was cool, but I couldn't use it for any other song. And I couldn't even use it to boost any other pedals cause it made any pedal used with it sound just as awful.

I found the SD-1 to be pretty transparent.
I either got a dud or it doesn't like my amp...

I read a fe wreviews by people with the same problem on musicians friend though so, I don't know. All I know is I don't like them.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Quote by marktuazon
out of the OD-3, OS-2, SD-1, and BD-2.

i'm pretty cheap so yea.

could any of these compare to a ts808? should i just get a modded SD-1 and forget these?

Yeah a modded SD-1 should do well. A Maxon OD-9 or Xotic AC Booster would be better though.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by Silky Smooth
Yeah the bad monkey is an amazing pedal

NO NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER SAY SUCH ABOMINATION.

Steer totally clear of The Bad Monkey. It is sterile and digital and sucks your tone dry!
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Last edited by IncubusMan999 at Nov 13, 2007,
Hmm are you sure you've played one? Its anything but digital sounding man haha

I'm sure everyone else whose tried one here could attest to that as well.
i have an SD-2. i think its discontinued.. but easily one of my favorite pedals.

Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by IncubusMan999

Steer totally clear of The Bad Monkey. It is sterile and digital and sucks your tone dry!

don't make the hulk angry

I don't know **** about pedals, so perhaps it isnt my place to say, but its obvious to any guitar enthusiast that digital = bad for tone.
I preffered the sound of the OD3 to the SD1.

The BD2 sounded good, but the best Boos out of those I tried was the OD3.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
Most Boss pedals are true bypass, or at least buffered.

Long story short, instead of taking up the space on my board and the tone from my beauty, I removed it from my board and will probably trade it in at GC or sell it. It sounds good on my Squier amp though...so maybe if you have a ss it'd be good.

The BD-2 on the other hand is a wonderful pedal. Great blues tone, very versatile. Probably my favorite pedal after my big muff.

Most of the boss pedals are NOT true bypass, they use electric switching. in electric switching, inputs and outputs are buffered.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by bassboy 999

I don't know **** about pedals, so perhaps it isnt my place to say, but its obvious to any guitar enthusiast that digital = bad for tone.

Digital is not bad for tone. It's definitely not your place to say, because you know absolutely nothing about it.

Ask Lenny Kravitz, Tom Morello, The Edge, John Petrucci, Dragonforce, PANTERA, Linkin Park, Incubus, Dave Mustaine, Kirk Hammet, James Hetfield, Omar Rodriguez, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Frusciante, and so many other great artists that use digital pedals/rack effects/guitars. I've named a fair bit of your favorite artists.

And the Bad Monkey is analog.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Nov 13, 2007,
Quote by Reincaster
Digital is not bad for tone. It's definitely not your place to say, because you know absolutely nothing about it.

Ask Lenny Kravitz, Tom Morello, The Edge, John Petrucci, Dragonforce, PANTERA, Linkin Park, Incubus, Dave Mustaine, Kirk Hammet, James Hetfield, Omar Rodriguez, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Frusciante, and so many other great artists that use digital pedals/rack effects/guitars. I've named a fair bit of your favorite artists.

And the Bad Monkey is analog.

Owned.

But, let's leave The Edge out of this, eh? It's a given that he uses digital stuff. After all, he is a robot.
Quote by bassboy 999

Since when? I'm willing to bet that out of every band and artist that you listen to, at least 50% will have at least one part of their rig that is digital. There are plenty of good digital effects and even amps out there. Look at the Hughes & Kettner Switchblade, for example. It has built in digital effects, but they sound good. And there are a lot of rack effect units that are good and digital, used by a lot of famous guitarists. Reincaster has already pointed out The Edge, and I'm sure he has more than one digital unit as part of his rig

Sure, poor digital technology might not be good for tone, but that is because it's cheaply made and designed, so you can only expect it to not be brilliant.
Quote by Don_Humpador
Owned.

But, let's leave The Edge out of this, eh? It's a given that he uses digital stuff. After all, he is a robot.

That EHX Chartbuster still amazes me to this day.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Reincaster
That EHX Chartbuster still amazes me to this day.

Yeah, but unfortunately I ran out of magic beans, so it's no longer in production.
O.o Magic beans... hmmmm...

I'm sure you can get some from mouser or ebay... They have everything!
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

isnt it:

Overdrive = Tube amp
Distortion = Solid state?

i'm using a Valveking 112 and already have the DS-1.

the bad monkey is analog? i assumed digitech = digital.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by IncubusMan999

'tard. the bad monkey is all analog. and its quite warm and responsive. trust me, ive tried a lot of drives and most have nothing on it.
can someone tell me about the chips? like the texas instruments and the jrc4558d one? like i found an OD with both. should i get this one or is just the jrc4558d chip ok? i know the jrc4558d was used for the ts-808's. but like would:
more chips = better OD, tone, clarity, sustain?
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by marktuazon
isnt it:

Overdrive = Tube amp
Distortion = Solid state?

i'm using a Valveking 112 and already have the DS-1.

the bad monkey is analog? i assumed digitech = digital.

Overdrive is soft clipping, while Distortion is hard clipping. All amps can do both. However, it's a matter of how nice it sounds.

Don't assume, just based on the name. Dunlop also makes tires, and tennis racquets. Fender's got nothing to do with cars, yet they have shoes for sale.

The reason the bad monkey, and a fewo ther digitech pedals are analog is because it's probably cheaper, and simpler to design an analog distortion/od pedal. However, most of them are pretty bleh sounding.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

yea i read some reviews and werent that good...and someone compared a OD-1 to a SD-1 and said the SD-1 was better. i really want to so i could go to GC and try to get one at 20% on Nov. 23.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by TehJermie
'tard. the bad monkey is all analog. and its quite warm and responsive. trust me, ive tried a lot of drives and most have nothing on it.

I played it for half an hour and it was a piece of ****. I could not stand any more. It was a hunk of junk compared to something like a T-Rex, Maxon or Xotic.

It was about as warm as the Antarctic climate and responsive as a deaf mute. It sounded programmed, invasive and digital (in a bad way). But you are free to have your opinions of supremacy about inferior gear. I wouldn't have minded if you disagreed with me but the insult wasn't necessary, so now I'll insult you half-wit.

Besides, I don't care if it is all analog, it sound muddy, ,sterile and has a severe lack of vibrancy.

By the way James, digital is not always bad. Analog is generally better but digital pedals can be just as good, if not better in some instances. However, being TOO digital means it sounds fake and programmed.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by Reincaster
O.o Magic beans... hmmmm...

I'm sure you can get some from mouser or ebay... They have everything!

THey are discounted this month, available from Hong Kong. YOU BUY NOW!!!
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
I played it for half an hour and it was a piece of ****. I could not stand any more. It was a hunk of junk compared to something like a T-Rex, Maxon or Xotic.

It was about as warm as the Antarctic climate and responsive as a deaf mute. It sounded programmed, invasive and digital (in a bad way). But you are free to have your opinions of supremacy about inferior gear. I wouldn't have minded if you disagreed with me but the insult wasn't necessary, so now I'll insult you half-wit.

Besides, I don't care if it is all analog, it sound muddy, ,sterile and has a severe lack of vibrancy.

By the way James, digital is not always bad. Analog is generally better but digital pedals can be just as good, if not better in some instances. However, being TOO digital means it sounds fake and programmed.

i find it hard to take you seriously when maxon is the extent of your pedal vocabulary. and that weak analogy about the antartic and deaf mute, i can tell youre not a songwriter. and feel "superior" about your taste in gear all you want, i know i have some stuff lying around that would make you shit your pants.

i pity you, seeing as you got your ego bruised from an e-insult. some food for thought, half a wit is better than none. have a nice life douchebag.
Quote by TehJermie

This guy's smart.

And to whoever said it had bad bypass, it has a good buffered bypass. The Bosses have a bad tone-sucking bypass that they try to make up for with a crappy buffer... And failed at.

Bad Monkey literally pwns all of those Boss POSes.

Quote by IncubusMan999

To put it simply, you're entitled to your opinion.

But I won't stop myself from saying that your opinion is wrong.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
This guy's smart.

And to whoever said it had bad bypass, it has a good buffered bypass. The Bosses have a bad tone-sucking bypass that they try to make up for with a crappy buffer... And failed at.

Bad Monkey literally pwns all of those Boss POSes.

they got an assload of fulltones, a klon, and all that good stuff at the store. and im not jealous one bit. i love my monkey!

also, theres some "things" that can be done to the monkey if youre savvy.
Quote by TehJermie

they got an assload of fulltones, a klon, and all that good stuff at the store. and im not jealous one bit. i love my monkey!

also, theres some "things" that can be done to the monkey if youre savvy.
Got any links/files with these "things" in? I'm handy with a soldering iron.....

And yeah, I've said frequently that my Bad Monkey is the best piece of value for money gear I've ever bought and probably ever will buy.

The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Page 1 of 2