Can anyone suggest a good bass for 300 or under that would be good for getting a Korn type metal sound? And if u think fieldys bass sounds like crap i dont want to hear about it
get a good starter bass, then later gets some pedals to make it sound like korn , i guess if you want or whatever

check out the Squire Vintage Modified Jazz, or Ibanez GSR 200
Mr Reginald Arvizu uses a lot of Ibanez Soundgears (all 5 string). So that might be a start for you. Most of his sound is attributed to his technique and low tuning. I don't think he uses much for effects, just a heavily modded EQ system. He also plays through a bunch of Mesa Boogie stuff.

A lot of people say his sound sucks and he has no talent. It's not really my thing, but I don't believe that. I do however think his sound is ideal for Korn and it would be cool to emulate if you were playing Korn tunes. I don't think it is ideal to be used in other applications.
Most of his distinctive sound comes from his unorthadox tchnique, as opposed to his rig.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Most of his distinctive sound comes from his unorthadox tchnique, as opposed to his rig.

unorthodox is one word for it...
...crappy is another.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
If you're really after the korn sound, you'll have to save a little more for a five string. An Ibanez GRS 205 or a Peavey Millennium BXP 5 string would be good bets. Other then that, boost your bass and treble and cut your mids.
Quote by tubab0y
Real bassists play with their penis.

Wait, that came out wrong...

Ibanez BTB200
Quote by Fast_Bear
someone sig that typo!

no

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
My amp is so loud, it has no number system.

It's only rated in decibels of loud and louder.
Is it just me or does Korn's bassist sound like he's slapping the ridiculously down tuned strings of his bass with a dead fish?

Go with an Ibanez starter pack.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
If you're really after the korn sound, you'll have to save a little more for a five string. An Ibanez GRS 205 or a Peavey Millennium BXP 5 string would be good bets. Other then that, boost your bass and treble and cut your mids.

I have that Peavey bass and I get good results. Like he said, boost the treble and cut the mid.
Quote by KKING911
...crappy is another.

hooray for ug ignorance. Basically the only way to get his tone correctly is to learn the weird slapping technique with his thumb and pinky. Im sure someone could explain it in more depth to you

oh and make sure u scoop the mids galore, thats a big factor as well
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Basically with the slap, it's almost all wrist. Keep your fingers extended, and then basically rotate your hand so that you hit with your thumb, then back so you hit it with your pinky. You might have to use your ring-finger to support your pinky for a while, and I'd also suggest practicing on bottles and what not, because it can take a bit to learn. But yeah, as before, Ibanez are great, 5-strings are a must downtuned to ADGCF, and cut the mids completely, and boost the bass and trebs a bit.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
In the end the Soundgear 5 Strings are what you want, but you might be able to get away with a Rockbass Steamer. You just need to go into a store, down tune a bass and get slapping, just don't expect the assistant not to hurt you.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by clark44
Can anyone suggest a good bass for 300 or under that would be good for getting a Korn type metal sound? And if u think fieldys bass sounds like crap i dont want to hear about it

Under $300? Not likely.

As many have said, it's mainly in the EQ and... *cough* "technique," so the bass shouldn't matter too much, but he uses Ibanez basses so you should aim for that. Something with 2 soapbar or humbucking pickups is prob ideal.
the ibanez gsr205 is a good 5 string starter
member of the Australia FTW! group (pm the random hero or alter bridge to join (aussies only)
A lot of his basslines are finger picked rather than slapped. Basing an opinion on what's heard in the singles is idiotic and naive.
Quote by stevie-ray
A lot of his basslines are finger picked rather than slapped. Basing an opinion on what's heard in the singles is idiotic and naive.

This is UG - idiotic and naive kinda go with that territory...

On topic: I'm with 'the scoop your mids' guys on this one.
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Also, being a girly-girl.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

You'll need to scoop your mids and learn his technique. Try a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass or an OLP MM2 for slap.
Quote by Zar938
unorthodox is one word for it...

Quote by KKING911
...crappy is another.

Sigged, but it's the sound I don't like, not the technique, anyway - TS, look into Ibanez, or 5 strings in general for those low tunings.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.