I'm looking for a metal amp for about $1,500 to $1,700. I'm having a hard time making decisions. It's a lot of money for me to drop, so I want to know what I get is what I want. i was looking at a Dual Rectifier, but that's pretty stereotypical. I also saw a used Powerball for $1,500, but I dont like buying something I can't play. I really admire John Petrucci's tone, but I also dont really want a rediculous uber shooped mids sort of tone. Any suggestions?
Get a 6505.
Quote by nic_2090
What ever happened to sticks and stones....?

Quote by Maet
The Niggers took them all to build their crappy huts in africa and Detroit...

Too much?
Quote by TheShred201
If you could possibly stretch your budget to $1800, I reccomend the Mesa/Boogie Roadster.

Why a roadster? I'm looking for a head by the way. I believe that is a combo?

Edit: If you could, give reasons why you are suggesting an amp. What is the tone like?
You were looking at a dual rec--it's a dual rec with--More channels, better cleans, more defined high gain, and reverb. Also, you love petrucci's tone, and it's a Roadking minus 2 EL34 powertubes that Petrucci may or may not use. He uses Roadkings, Mark IV's (which are 1900 new....also killer), and a Mesa Triaxis ....I think that's it.
or come to think of it, the Peavey JSX (Satriani signature) is a great metal amp if you are willing to sacrifice good clean tones
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by TheShred201
You were looking at a dual rec--it's a dual rec with--More channels, better cleans, more defined high gain, and reverb. Also, you love petrucci's tone, and it's a Roadking minus 2 EL34 powertubes that Petrucci may or may not use. He uses Roadkings, Mark IV's (which are 1900 new....also killer), and a Mesa Triaxis ....I think that's it.

Do they not make the roadster anymore? I don't see it on the site, only the road king.
CARVIN V3 FTW and then spend 500 bucks on a nice cab or buy the cab that has v30's in them
Possibly a Soldano Avenger. It's the same circuit as the SLO 100, but doesn't have the military-spec parts & DeYoung transformer. Wicked levels of gain & very articulate voicing. I think they're around $1600-$1700 US.
You couldn't go wrong w/ a Mesa Mark IV either, but it's not as metal-ly as a Soldano.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by handlerb
or come to think of it, the Peavey JSX (Satriani signature) is a great metal amp if you are willing to sacrifice good clean tones

have you ever played one? i actually like the clean tone it has
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The Roadster seems neat. DaveMc also recomended an avenger, but i have no way of playing one. Carvin seems interesting.
Quote by handlerb

What? The JSX has pretty nice cleans!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Evian
I really admire John Petrucci's tone

Petrucci's rig has constantly changed over the years. Which album has the tone you like/want most?
Quote by convictionless
CARVIN V3 FTW and then spend 500 bucks on a nice cab or buy the cab that has v30's in them

+12 dozen (Yes, an entire gross)
Quote by Guitarmiester
Petrucci's rig has constantly changed over the years. Which album has the tone you like/want most?

Well if the roadster is anything like the road king, that should cover all his tones, because he used those live for awhile, or I could always get a mark IV. But if I had to choose, it'd probably be a more modern tone.

What kind of tone does the carvin get?
My first choice would be the Soldano Avenger (actually, my first choice would be the Soldano SLO, but that thing's $3,400!). Or, if you don't mind waiting, the Mako (both, about $1,700 USD). Or just get the Engl. Personally, I would love to demo an Engl and compare it with an Avenger in the same room (I know, pretty difficult to do).
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Comparing the roadster and roadking--basically, the biggest difference is that with the Rk, you can select eiter 2x6l6, 4x6l6, 2x6l6+2xEl34, 4x6l6+2xel34, or 2xel34. The roadster doesn't have both tubes at once (set the bias for one or the other), so you can just select 50 or 100 watts. I believe that there may also be some difference in the effect loops as well, but the overall tone is quite similar.
Quote by Evian
What kind of tone does the carvin get?

What can't it get? Gets my vote for most versatile head at the price point.