I"m looking for some INACTIVE P/U's that have a really nice metal sound to them, what do you guys think I should go with. Oh, and preferably under $100 each.
I wan the Passive because I don't want to have to replace any batteries, that and I really don'tplay anything that heavy. I'm starting to learn some A7X stuff and I know how to play 'Animals' from nickelback. So it doesn't have to sound like any kind of deathmetal or anything, just needs a nice sound to it.

Thanks.
Last edited by B_MONEY$$$ at Nov 12, 2007,
what tone are you looking for (give us an artist, song or description)?
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
I guess it comes down to what kind of metal sound you want. Dimebuckers have a really nice squeal, and I think they are passive. Most Seymour Duncans are passive and Jackson uses them so they must be pretty heavy.
Seymour Duncan Dimebucker and '59 model are both amazing. I have the '59 model and it really gives a deep tone
No, don't get a dimebucker, get a Bill lawrence XL-500 instead.
they are called passives dude. get the xl-500 but i dont know where to buy it
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Those are good for a modern metal sound

If you want a more classic metal sound that still sound nice and clear check out a good ole' super distortion
no, dont get a dimbucker, as awesum as dime was, he had the worst tone ever, and the dimbucker sucks...get duncan invaders
Avenged sevenfolds guitarists use JB's and Invaders.

Both high output, but the Invaders are some of the highest non Active outputs on the market.

Otherwise.
Evo's are VERY high output, but more for shredding.

Steve specials.
Air Nortons.
Jazz/JB is a famous combo for hardrock/metal.
So is 59/JB.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
You have to get the Bill Lawrence Xl-500 on the Bill Lawrence website, and there only like $60.
They say invaders are real muddy. Evo's are good but you have to be a very clean player, as they are very articulate.
Dizmarzio are nice too. The X2N is nice for metal, but so is a lot of others.
no, the kent armstrong motherbucker wired at full is, as far as i know, the highest output passive pickup. i havent played it, but its at 27.5k, which is freaking ridiculous, compared to the 16ish of a duncan JB and the likes
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
What do you guys think of a, dimarzio DP207 drop sonic with an SD SH-6 distortion?
Quote by rockr09
No, don't get a dimebucker, get a Bill lawrence XL-500 instead.

+1 But I never could get into the blade pickups. You might check out the seymour duncan jb pickup.
Well I'm going to be getting a new Vox AD50VT, I will order th pickups at them same time.
I have HZ's and I'm happy with them.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Quote by forsaknazrael
I would personally never go out and buy hZ's. They're not like real EMGs, and they don't offer any kind of improvements over other passive pickups.

Everybody else has personal tastes, that's why they'res never always a best when you guys reccomend, besides saying go to guitar center and try yourself
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why don't you just go for the bigger improvement to your tone, and get an amp more suited for metal and skip the pickups for now?
How is that not suited for metal? What would you suggest that costs the same?
most people here will recommend tube over solid state or hybrid. the amp you're considering, the vox ad50vt is already about $400. add in two new dimarzios and you're spending upwards of $600. a B-52 at112 is a completely tube amp, is only $550 and voiced specifically for metal.
Quote by B_MONEY$$$
How is that not suited for metal? What would you suggest that costs the same?

I've always thought the Vox was a little lacking in the gain department, and did blues, classic rock, and the like better.

In any case, you could check out the aforementioned B-52...Or a Randall RG50TC. As well as a used Peavey 5150 combo.
^I would have to disagree.

Tube amps are great, but for the bedroom rocker, not at all. I never play my Mark IV at home...it just doesn't sound right unless it's pretty damn loud.

I have a Vox AD30VT at home and really enjoy it...sometimes wish I had tried the Roland Cube first though :/

As for the pups, I'm surprised no one has recommend the PRS Tremonti Treble....AMAZING pup....recommend it over all others....and I have a Dimarzio EVO and Duncan JB in my others guitars....the Tremonti smokes them!
Well, yeah but I don't want tospend $600 on an amp. I'm thinking more about $400.
Quote by B_MONEY$$$
Well, yeah but I don't want tospend $600 on an amp. I'm thinking more about $400.

Then go with the Roland, i guess...

Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
^I would have to disagree.

Tube amps are great, but for the bedroom rocker, not at all. I never play my Mark IV at home...it just doesn't sound right unless it's pretty damn loud.

I have to disagree, since a lot of the sound metal guitarists go for is based on preamp gain. It'd sound fine at bedroom levels.
I still get good slightly higher than bedroom level tones with my 40 watt tube combo, as well.
Yeah, thats another thing. I don't ever intend on giging with this, I just like to play for my self. I'm not in a band or anything.
Inactive??? You mean passive right? any ways JB in the bridge and 59' in the neck... that is the most common set up among professionals such as Micheal Amott, Alexi Lietho, and Mark Morton...
Quote by berysLTD_h-50
no, dont get a dimbucker, as awesum as dime was, he had the worst tone ever, and the dimbucker sucks...get duncan invaders

invaders are just as bad as dimebuckers...
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Quote by nexteyenate
invaders are just as bad as dimebuckers...

Any proof or experience or ANYTHING?

I just hate how everybody here just says "this is ****" and "that is trash" and "oh no theat sucks"

The Invader (recently built one into my costumized RG) is an excellent PU for metal and theclean sound compared to EMGs for example is pretty nice too
has a very dry and brutal sound, nice bottom end and just the amount of treble i need (in a LP it might sound too dull though)

the dimebucker is good for metal too i think, not exactly what i was looking for but ok...the clean is too sterile for me....
Quote by IndieMetalhead
a berard? is that like an iraqi tumor?

Quote by Ill Nino rules
Any proof or experience or ANYTHING?

I just hate how everybody here just says "this is ****" and "that is trash" and "oh no theat sucks"

The Invader (recently built one into my costumized RG) is an excellent PU for metal and theclean sound compared to EMGs for example is pretty nice too
has a very dry and brutal sound, nice bottom end and just the amount of treble i need (in a LP it might sound too dull though)

the dimebucker is good for metal too i think, not exactly what i was looking for but ok...the clean is too sterile for me....

No, they're both pretty bad. I know from experience. Just not a lot of clarity from either of them....