Welcome to the "TOOL Cover Contest."

Here are the rules:

-You may only post 1 song
-You may have vocals included
-You MUST play guitar
- It MUST be a full song
- You may play the same song a somebody else

I will need four other judges. Judges must be TOOL fans, and have knowledge of all songs. This is how we will judge.

The judges will score you 1-5 on 2 catergories:

1. Instrument Skill
2. Originality

This will add for a total of 10 points

Then I will add up the scores for a winning grand total of 60 points.

The deadline for your songs to be in will be Januray 25, 2008 at midnight.

Post your entry with the name of the song, and the URL

Also post if you would like to be a judge, but remember you must be a TOOL fan with knowledge of all TOOL songs.

GOOD LUCK!!!

JUDGES

1. vicarious36
2. duncang
3. Ticks & Leeches
4. Deliriumbassist
5. rockon1824
6. CoreysMonster

CONTESTANTS

1. conky_600 - Hush
2. lugzz - Prison Sex
3. hamett91 - The Patient
4. X Metal_Shred X - Schism
Last edited by vicarious36 at Jan 7, 2008,
Can the vocals be recorded seperately and layered? Because if not, that's a little harsh. I know a lot of people that can't play guitar and sing, including myself.
Quote by hightension01
its called

hypocrasy
Quote by Cied Shredder
Can the vocals be recorded seperately and layered? Because if not, that's a little harsh. I know a lot of people that can't play guitar and sing, including myself.

That's fine as long as you have both, I don't care how it's accomplished.
I'll judge.

I wish I could record but I just don't have the equipment necessary. I've done some really good (imo) reinterpretations of Tool songs, though I guess that would kind of fail in the 'similarity to song' category
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I hate to be the party-pooper, but I think you should lessen on the rules a bit. They're good rules for similarity and all but...I doubt many people can play Danny Carey's drum parts for the whole song the same way he does AND be able to sing Maynard's parts AND the guitar/bass for the songs...I would enter myself but I can't sing, though I know a few Tool songs all the way through on guitar but I definitely can't play Danny Carey's drum riffs. The first person to play The Grudge all the way through perfectly should auto-win, imo ;P Anyways, this is just a thought because I'm not sure there will be many, if any, contestants, but good thread idea. Tool is the best!
Hmmm.. I'll try to get my recording comp back up and I'll enter. I don't care. If I butcher a Tool song I butcher a Tool song. No hair off my sack.

I don't know which song I'll do, because I honestly don't listen to Tool, maybe I'll consult Wilhelmina.. she's a fan.
LOL@UR GERE!!!1 HURRZ MINE!
Customized Gibson Explorer (Alternative 8)
LTD mp-600
Charvel/Esp hybrid (Alnico 2 pro)
Line 6 Pod X3 Live

Coming Soon: EngL StH Limited Edition
Im doing Lateralus, give me some time to get it recorded and put up though...
The Set Up
1- Bc.Rich Nj Series Best w/Emgs
2-Ibanez v-blade, custom snakeskin
3-Fender Stratocaster
4-1986 Charvel Model 5
///
MXR Phase 90
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Dunlop crybaby original
SUPEREDIT: never mind, im not gonna have enough time to post a song...

let me do it this way: ill try to get Stinkfist up by the 1st, if i dont make it, ill be a judge, how about that?

EDIT: damn, iugzz, thats awesome! where did you guys get those backing tracks?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Nov 18, 2007,
thanks coreysmonster, i made the drum track myself right in cubase and played bass/guitars myself and a friend sang
5 more days guys. If you did not already give me the link to your entry I would like that. Also I need 1 more judge.
i think we should push the deadline. Perhaps sometime in January. Who knows, some of us may get some new equipment for christmas!
MySpace Profile
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

True, Ok heres the deal. We'll extend the deadline to January 25, that will give you exactly a month from Chrismas. Hopefully Hamett will have his guitars by then, and maybe some more Christmas goodies.

---------vicarious36
and maybe, if i can find a good enough midi file, or comission someone to make one for me (?) then i may give it a go, guitar and vocals. But i'll only submit it if im happy with it (vocally)
MySpace Profile
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

ah, that's a relief, that way i can put up a recording after all

EDIT: hey, how come i'm not in the list anymore? i though i was up for stinkfist!
so are you guys still doing this cover thing?
Ibanez RG120 (EMG 81s)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Epiphone Tony Iommi Signature G-400
Diezel Herbert w/ Mesa Boogie 4x12 Cab
Boss ME-50
DOD FX40B Equalizer
Boss MT-2
Boss DD-3
Boss BF-3
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR M-133
i don't have a band so i wouldn't be able to do a full cover but can we use the song in the background and play the guitar part? if so i would be able to join
Ibanez RG120 (EMG 81s)
Boss ME-50
DOD FX40B Equalizer
Boss MT-2
Boss DD-3
Boss BF-3
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR M-133
you can get midi tracks, tho you'll have to edit them a bit, cuz some of them aren't so good. Here's a link to the ones at toolshed.down.net TOOL Midi Files
MySpace Profile

i wanted to do jimmy but i guess i can do one of those in midi files
Ibanez RG120 (EMG 81s)
Boss ME-50
DOD FX40B Equalizer
Boss MT-2
Boss DD-3
Boss BF-3
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR M-133
i was gonna do jimmy but now i cant cause i sent my laptop for repairs so yeah, hopefully you guys do this again later on.
Ibanez RG120 (EMG 81s)
Boss ME-50
DOD FX40B Equalizer
Boss MT-2
Boss DD-3
Boss BF-3
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR M-133
sorry i wasnt here the past couple days. But sorry to hear about your laptop, but if all goes according to plan, I might do this again sometime.
Ok the contest is officially over. Put in any last entries and tomorrow we will start judging.
Originally Posted by Jack Off Jill
I just cleaned out my belly button. It was disgusting in there, but it's all nice and shiny now. I'm sure to attract the girls with my newly cleaned belly button.