Unless you use some hella abrasive dishwashing soap, I don't see how it could hurt the cymbals if they're securely in place.

...Doesn't mean you should do it though. It just sounds like a crap idea.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

cymbal cleaner?
Quote by cnut
When I was eight, me and my best friend started "practicing for girls".
Which involved us going into the woods, and him sticking his dick in my ass.
The last time we did it, his sister caught us.

use AVG as your anti-virus
wow it took you that long to come to the conclusion to clean cymbals with cymbal cleaner...
Quote by aaron6890
my cymbals for my drum set are really dirty so i got the idea of putting them in the dishwasher, would this hurt the cymbals or the dishwasher? has anyone done this? please help.

Not a great idea. Water and heat accelerate the oxidation process. You'll remove the grime, but are likely to have the cymbals looking "old".

If you choose to do this, you might be well off to add some soapy ammonia in the dishwasher. Ammonia will remove oxides on copper and brass through a process called "reduction".

Also check to make CERTAIN the dishwashing detergent does not contain any chlorine compounds.

Copper or Brass + Cholrine = Green. I seriously doubt you want green cymbals!

Also, the heating element in the dishwasher might get the temperature high enough to affect the brass. Probably not a good idea to use the drying cycle. Just remove them immediately after the wash and rinse. Then towel dry.

The best advice I could offer would be to try this first on your least favourite cymbal. If there are problems, you haven't lost that much. If it works well, continue with the rest. In either case, give us the results.

Cheers,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Not a great idea. Water and heat accelerate the oxidation process. You'll remove the grime, but are likely to have the cymbals looking "old".

If you choose to do this, you might be well off to add some soapy ammonia in the dishwasher. Ammonia will remove oxides on copper and brass through a process called "reduction".

Also check to make CERTAIN the dishwashing detergent does not contain any chlorine compounds.

Also, the heating element in the dishwasher might get the temperature high enough to affect the brass. Probably not a good idea to use the drying cycle. Just remove them immediately after the wash and rinse. Then towel dry.

The best advice I could offer would be to try this first on your least favourite cymbal. If there are problems, you haven't lost that much. If it works well, continue with the rest. In either case, give us the results.

Cheers,
SYK

ok you win im totally not going to do it now thanks
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

I kinda want green cymbals.

I wonder if it effects the tone in a negative fashion...
Quote by imicius
I kinda want green cymbals.

I wonder if it effects the tone in a negative fashion...
I'm certain it will. I can't say it won't be in a good or bad way, though. The texture of the surface has a lot to do with the way the highest overtones are coupled to the air. Clean shiny cymbals sound "brighter". Grimy or dull cymbals sound a bit "warmer and darker".

You'll end up with some odd growth on a microscopic level when the copper-chloride compounds are formed.

If you want to see what this will look like, just put a shiny penny into a container of bleach. It won't take long for it to become hazy and mottled looking. It won't be pretty, but if that's what you're looking for, it won't be hard to achieve. You'll probably do better to dilute the bleach and let the reaction occur more slowly. That way you'll have a better chance to rinse it off when the desired amount of funkiness occurs.

... and to SteveHouse, SYK doesn't know chemistry. Just bits and pieces related to things I've work with before. I wish I had taken chemistry in HS and college.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by ARCtrooper225
Ironically, some people bury their cymbals in dirt because they think it gets them a better sound...

very true. it sucks when you buy a really awesome ride and then forget where you buried it though.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

... and to SteveHouse, SYK doesn't know chemistry. Just bits and pieces related to things I've work with before. I wish I had taken chemistry in HS and college.

Hm.

Well, SYK knows cymbal cleaning chemistry?

I took AP chem my senior year, and all I can remember about reduction is that it's the opposite of oxidation... Just cause you've had it doesn't mean you get it.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

i never clean my cymbals and i have high end paistes and istanbuls. i have a 3 yr old a custom and its as shimmery as the day it was born.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm certain it will. I can't say it won't be in a good or bad way, though. The texture of the surface has a lot to do with the way the highest overtones are coupled to the air. Clean shiny cymbals sound "brighter". Grimy or dull cymbals sound a bit "warmer and darker".

You'll end up with some odd growth on a microscopic level when the copper-chloride compounds are formed.

If you want to see what this will look like, just put a shiny penny into a container of bleach. It won't take long for it to become hazy and mottled looking. It won't be pretty, but if that's what you're looking for, it won't be hard to achieve. You'll probably do better to dilute the bleach and let the reaction occur more slowly. That way you'll have a better chance to rinse it off when the desired amount of funkiness occurs.

I'm taking Chem II in college right now, and we thoroughly covered redox reactions. At least the math is easy...
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
yeah, some nice cymbal cleaner works great.
but cymbal cleaner is basically jsut water and ammonia.

and the dishwasher i would not use any detergent, and with jsut water it wouldnt do anything