I got a Vox Wah recently and I had heard that it was not the best at handling gain but decided to give it a try anyway. After testing it out Ive decided that it really sucks for gain, so much that its unuseable as a wah for metal solos.

So my question is, can it be modded EASILY to be good with metal solos? (metallica) or should I return it and get the Crybaby 535q or someother wah that is better for metal solos.

Is there a wah that is good at both Jimi Hendrix type music as well as with high gain solos??

Edit: forgot to mention its a Vox 847a wah
Last edited by Vinnie5 at Nov 12, 2007,
I have the Ibanez Wah and it's really good with a lot of gain. You should try either that or one of the Slash (crybaby) Wahs.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Unfortunately the V847a isn't easily moddable, if this was the V847 it would be a different story. The 535q would suit you pretty well, does Hendrix decently and it'll cut through a fair amount of gain.
So I guess its between the Weeping Demon and Crybaby 535q. Anyone had experience with both? Price isnt an issue here btw.
ultimate wah thread

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Mcoy wah is not good for metal solos...

I really want that kirk hammet sound as well as jimi hendrix wah sound as Ive said before
Ah, i just got the V847. I've done the true bypass mod and it makes it a lot better when off. (i noticed it reduced gain slightly) It's good for what i play but i will tell you it's no good for high gain. I'd say, It's an amazing wah for people like me who don't play high gain stuff. But if you want a wah with high gain then you may as well return it and look into something different.
Quote by Vinnie5

I really want that kirk hammet sound as well as jimi hendrix wah sound as Ive said before

You haven't researched enough.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I heard the Weeping Demon was meant to sound weak and sterile. I you want metal wah then maybe look at Morley or the Dimebag Crybaby
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
You could look at the Fulltone Clyde, it's probably the closest to what you want, i mean it's not brilliant at metal but it will do it and it's one of the best for classic rock tones
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Vinnie5

He's referring to Real McCoy Custom, not the Clyde McCoy, RMC is a company.

www.realmccoycustom.com
Well i havent tried the WD7 but have heard a lot of bad reviews on it. The 535Q is really good for Kirks wah sound, it gets the really thick sound. It also does Hendrix as well, and has a bunch of settings in the manual. I wouldnt go for the Dimebag wah because ive heard its almost identical to the 535Q, and has all the same controls but costs a bunch more.

Morley would also be good for metal solos.
If price is no issue screw the weeping demon and crybaby.

RMC Wizard Wah FTW.