Page 1 of 2
ok so im lookin into buyin a half stack for $500 or less. tube or solid state. does anybody have any suggestions that don't involve buying a combo amp?
What's wrong with a combo?

What music do you play?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
well i play like metal and punk and what not so im not THAT concerned with like the warmest tone in the world, but I'm just lookin for a nice half cab for around 500. dont get me wrong theres nothin bad about combos I just would prefer a half stack for my kinda music. got any suggestions?
Nothing comes to mind except a Marshall MG, which you do not want.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by mozila432
well i play like metal and punk and what not so im not THAT concerned with like the warmest tone in the world, but I'm just lookin for a nice half cab for around 500. dont get me wrong theres nothin bad about combos I just would prefer a half stack for my kinda music. got any suggestions?

What about your music has to do with having a half-stack?

If you are looking to makeup for your lack of masculinity, just say so.

Get a Used Peavey 5150 Combo if you want good tone.

If you don't really give a crap, get a Randall RX120RHS
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
but really like instead of being a dick about it you could help me out. and I already have a combo I use for recording, so I don't need another one, I just want something loud. a.k.a. halfstack
Combos aren't as loud as halfstacks?

Try clicking the link I gave you.

The 5150 Combo would get way louder and sound better at those volumes.
Quote by utsapp89
With a budget of $500, you should really be looking for the best amp, period. Not the best halfstack. Why? Basically because the best $500 halfstack is still a piece of sh!t. People are trying to help you out. Plenty of giggable combos for your style music that come a little closer to your budget. But even then, it's a struggle.

If you HAVE to have a stack, maybe you can find a second hand Peavey Windsor head and slap it on a cheap cab. Not that I see a lot of those on the used market. An old MusicMan hybrid with a tube power section? You gotta go some serious leg work if you want to find anything close to decent that fits your requirements for that kinda money.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
well right now I have a vintage kustom 150w rms amp head with two Acoustic 12" cubes, and all I want is somethin a bit more modern, and with a sound that isn't aweful, so yeah.
Quote by mozila432
well right now I have a vintage kustom 150w rms amp head with two Acoustic 12" cubes, and all I want is somethin a bit more modern, and with a sound that isn't aweful, so yeah.

Like a used Peavey 5150 Combo?

Quote by utsapp89
and also the only thing I really need is a head with a decent clean section cuz I have all my effects worked out, and with a cheap decent cab.
Try to find a Roland JC-120H then.

Spectacular clean channel.
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
Like a used Peavey 5150 Combo?

Pretty much. Gah some people just don't want to listen, why even ask for help...?

Buy your halfstack if you want, you'll eventually see how bad of a decision it is.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by mozila432
well for combos do u need to mic them into the P.A. to hear them?

No! Your testicles would crack open if you dimed the Peavey 5150.
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
No! Your testicles would crack open if you dimed the Peavey 5150.

Then, of course, he'd need an even bigger amp.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania

well then lets say I am to get a combo. what is a good one for around 500? (not that one ur trying to sell)
Quote by slatsmania

Quote by utsapp89
no but seriously.
i don't know this ****
i'm 15 and have only had like 2 amps, one of which is a combo, and one is a stack, and the stack is much, much better, so...
Quote by mozila432
no but seriously.
i don't know this ****
i'm 15 and have only had like 2 amps, one of which is a combo, and one is a stack, and the stack is much, much better, so...

Did you miss my post? I posted a good lound combo. Versatille too.

Quote by stangconv
Traynor is louder then this half stack

aa
Quote by mozila432
well then lets say I am to get a combo. what is a good one for around 500? (not that one ur trying to sell)

You've got good suggestions in this thread.

Even with combos, you have to look used with $500. The 5150 is a great metal amp. If you're hellbent on using your pedals for distortion, the Roland JC120 is another great suggestion. A Peavey Classic 50 or a Fender Hot Rod DeVille along with your pedals.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
yea
im considering saving up for a fender twin reverb, for recording, but i have a lot more **** i need before that, so idk. i just need somethin reliable to gig with for now, and idk about ubes either, cuz i dont wanna worry bout replacing ****
Don't get hung up on changing tubes, it's something you do every couple of years. It's nothing to be scared of.

A Twin Reverb is a gigging amp. If that's that's something you're interested in, you might be able to find a second hand Twin close to your budget. Otherwise, a Hod Rod DeVille would do a similar job for you.

And you can record with a Fender Champ. Eric Clapton did. Jimmy Page recorded with his faithful Supro. An 85-100W tube combo is for the stage. Part of the magic of the studio is making a little 5W combo sound like a 100W stack. It ain't hard.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
alright ill take a look into that
but in all seriousness can u think of any single good half stack or even amp head at least for around $500? remembering that my effects r all worked out and i just need a functioning clean channel.
Earlier in the thread I mentioned the Peavey Windsor. There's also the Valveking head, which is close to $500. If you NEED a stack (you don't, really) I'd suggest you search eBay for heads and cabs. Might find some piece of vintage gear that suits your needs from companies like Musicman, Sunn, or Earth. They made some good stuff that still flies under the radar.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by mozila432
alright ill take a look into that
but in all seriousness can u think of any single good half stack or even amp head at least for around $500? remembering that my effects r all worked out and i just need a functioning clean channel.

What are your effects just out of curiousity?
oh i have a korg toneworks signal processor. multi-effects. it comes in handy so much. I mostly use the UK modern and clean effects tho.
Quote by mozila432
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-HalfStack?sku=485059
how about that?
or do u mean like strictly older windsor?

That's what I mean. It'd be nice to find a used one, but they haven't been around that long. I'd also get a nice 2x12 from Avatar or something than the Peavey speaker cab. Peavey speakers are pretty lame.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Try a peavey windsor head.
Amp/Effects:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Tc-Electronic G-system
Line6 DM4

Guitars:

EBMM JP6 BFR
EBMM JP7
Taylor 314ce
yeah
i might just get like the windsor and save up for a marshall 1960, and use my acoustics for a while. but i dont know.
Last edited by mozila432 at Nov 12, 2007,
Quote by slatsmania
With a budget of $500, you should really be looking for the best amp, period. Not the best halfstack. Why? Basically because the best $500 halfstack is still a piece of sh!t. People are trying to help you out. Plenty of giggable combos for your style music that come a little closer to your budget. But even then, it's a struggle.

If you HAVE to have a stack, maybe you can find a second hand Peavey Windsor head and slap it on a cheap cab. Not that I see a lot of those on the used market. An old MusicMan hybrid with a tube power section? You gotta go some serious leg work if you want to find anything close to decent that fits your requirements for that kinda money.

i'm pretty sure slats just pwned him....
oh idk, but ive been told its a nice choice for a head
and i have a korg toneworks ax3000g, and use mostly like metal distortion somethimes with wah, and clean.
i still don't understand the problem a combo. seriously, if you get a halfstack for that budget (trust me i know, i have the same budget) you just going to get a cheap rip off. just because your earlier combo sucked doesn't mean all combos sucks. seriously a peavey 5150 would be an awesome amp to have. it's a 60w tube amp which is way more than you'll need for a long time, especially at 15, unless you plan on playing at some stadium with 50,000 fans. but seriously, tube amps sound better at higher volumes than solid states, and considering you want loud, go with the combo. it's almost impossible to find a cheap tube halfstack.

i suggest you go to a local store and TRY a tube combo (not the peavey, it's discontinued). even a valveking would be a good choice.

or perhaps a randall rg50tc. i've heard it's good depite the fact that i haven't played on one, however harmony central seriously bashed it....
wait what
Quote by mozila432
oh idk, but ive been told its a nice choice for a head
and i have a korg toneworks ax3000g, and use mostly like metal distortion somethimes with wah, and clean.

1. stop double posting to fix ur mistakes, use the EDIT button

2. what's the point of you buying a nice amp if you're just gonna use the korg multi fx. i'd personaly take the advice of whomever suggested the 5150 combo and use that for distortion (while using the kork for cleans). if not can't you just run the korg into the house PA?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Page 1 of 2