alright i have the ltd alexi-600 guitar and it has only one pickup and im cool with that but sometimes i wouldnt mind a neck pickup so my question is, if i got a single coil and left it inside the guitar where the wires and stuff is would it still work without having to cut a hole in the guitar and if i can do some sort of push/pull thing with the knob to change between pickups. so if anyone has anything of this sort or thinks what i should do i would apreciate it.
Quote by YYZ
Yea, that's why most hot girls are dating faggot emo kids from ****ty faggot gay homo emo bands. I hate life.
sort of, but it would be really muffled. very hard to get a decent sound like that.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yeah, it would sound pretty crappy. There cant be wood between the strings and pickup.
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
route?
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

just "cut" your hole......it'll be worth it afterwards
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
lol thats a crazy idea. i wouldnt do it w/o cuttin a hole. try to make a templet and nab a router. take some packin tape and put it on the body where you want the pickup and make your marks with a black or silver sharpie depending on the color of your axe... then router out the section where the pick up is gonna go. either that or get a professional
alright i might just end up cuting a bigger hole for a humbucker,does that make the job harder?
Quote by YYZ
Yea, that's why most hot girls are dating faggot emo kids from ****ty faggot gay homo emo bands. I hate life.
I believe Fender made a prototype guitar with the pickup under the pickguard, and it either a) produced very little sound, or b) sounded horrible. I can't remember what the result was, but as you can see, it wasn't desireable.

You have three options. 1) route for a neck pickup. 2) install a peizo, which probably won't sound like a neck pickup. 3) route out the back of the guitar for some Variax type of pickup.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by zanz1bar
Yeah, it would sound pretty crappy. There cant be wood between the strings and pickup.

Uli Jon Roth has a pickup under the fretboard extension of his 36 fret sky guitars.

EDIT - If you want to get a little crazy, try installing a contact mic between the neck and body (sandwiched in the neck pocket) on a Strat or Tele. I've done this on a couple of guitars for people with some success. Coupled with a piezo bridge with a blend control, it adds quite a bit of warmth to brittle piezo pickup tones.
Last edited by TwoString at Nov 12, 2007,
Errr... Where would you stick this pickup if you don't wanna rout for it? You say "inside", but there's no secret room inside that guitar. It's not hollow, and "where the wires are" is in the lower wing, way off to the side, away from the strings. The only way you could put a neck pickup on it without routing is if you stuck it on the back, and that'd make next to no sound at all...
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Nov 13, 2007,