i have always had trouble with this. every time i downstroke then do an upstroke i snag the last string i hit on the downstroke . is this hard to master or what, i dunno what to do. i am fine with other picking methods but i cannot do this. mainly at faster tempos doing alternate picking inside strings is the problem i just cant do it
One way i found around this, is when i practice scales i play each scale 3 ways.....
once with all downstrokes, once with all upstrokes and once using alternate picking.
If you incorporate this into your everyday practice it will soon become second nature.
Good luck.
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
seems like i have to somewhat pull more outside when doing the downstroke then upstroke so it doesnt snag. i dunno i hope it comes to me
Its just hard to learn, you can alternate pick very fast. It's entirely up to you if you want to invent some bastard economy picking scheme that you couldn't even explain to yourself. "Well I do two downstrokes in a row if it is the latter half of the month under a full moon, but only if there is milk in the fridge".
if anyone has any good exercises to practice inside alternate picking i would truly appreciate it
Quote by coinstarp12
Its just hard to learn, you can alternate pick very fast. It's entirely up to you if you want to invent some bastard economy picking scheme that you couldn't even explain to yourself. "Well I do two downstrokes in a row if it is the latter half of the month under a full moon, but only if there is milk in the fridge".

My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
the solo in this version of whitewash has some good inside alternate picking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akmP6Sjv2o
3:50 to 4:00

E|--------------------|----------------|-------------------|
B|--------------------|----------------|-------------------|
G|-----11----11----11-|----9----9----9-|----11----11----11-|
D|--12----12----12----|-11---11---11---|-12----12----12----|
A|--------------------|----------------|-------------------|
E|--------------------|----------------|-------------------|

E|-------------|----------------|-------------|
B|-------------|----------------|-------------|
G|---7---7---7-|----9----9----9-|---6---6---6-|
D|-9---9---9---|-11---11---11---|-7---7---7---|
A|-------------|----------------|-------------|
E|-------------|----------------|-------------|

he does a little riff after that, then does a similar inside picking run going upward from the 12th fret. The song is tuned down a half-step, the tab is not. (i've been using a pitch-shifted mp3 to learn the song in standard tuning).
Take your time with a metronome to get it right first and then increase speed.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler