just wanna have your opinion on this one..!

is it normal that I like to play bass with a pick, sometimes with fingers( even though I'm pretty good with the technique and with arpeggios) and do not have any interrest to play the whole '' slap and pull'' technique, jazz or funk ? Does it mean it's not the instrument for me and that I should concentrate on guitar? Maybe my musical background doesnt really help either ( i'm mostly listening to hardcore, metalcore, rock, punk rock...)

anyway just gimme your tips and thoughts!
Honestly, do whatever works. Who's to say your technique is wrong if you sound good?
Look at it as a positive, maybe create your own style.
Just because you play with a pick doesn't mean you shouldn't play bass.

Look up Carlos Benevant on youtube. (I think that's how you spell it.)
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
No, different people use different styles. I personally try to learn every style I can, but most like to concentrate on one style. But I beg you not to limit yourself to one style. Kinda like Charlie Parker could play excellent. In one key, so he was laughed at. You can play great in one style, but it's not going to help when bands are looking for versitility. Good to the woodshed and learn some more styles, you don't have to be great at them, just litterate.

Sorry for the Jazz referances.
I tend to hold the pick incorrectly despite instructional videos and it allows me to play differently. I feel I tend to be faster and I feel like I can pluck harder (though I don't do it ALL the time).
give up right now. you are on a dead end path to failure. theres a steep downward slope on the horizon and i advise you to turn around and run. take a left on Cowbell Street and lock the gate behind you. that should suit your kind.

jk ... 1. its normal to like things and 2. i dont think theres any physical laws that prevent you from playing a bass only with a pick. if you want to advance and be in a band, some of them might be looking for a more versatile bassist; so you depending on how far you want to take this, you should keep your other methods on tap but build your unique style with the pick or whatever you like most.

forget what anyone else is doing for now. have your own mind and do what you're comfortable with. have fun with whatever you do and dont envy others unless you want to improve on something theyre better at.
Well, your question raises the question, should anyone let their likes define how they make choices, and live their life, when thought of in conjunction with the stereotypical norm? Oh, I'm sorry I answered your question with another question. I would tend to say that what one man likes should not indeed influence how he lives his life, because of social pressures. But, it should be a guide as to what he decides could be factors on his future. In your specific example, you say you don't like playing jazz or funk, or playing slap style. So because you do not play the "normal" style for most bassists you think that you shouldn't be a bassist. I would say that this is a foolish notion. Instead of forging your own path, making a way specifically for yourself, you decide to give up and turn to a more prototypical instrument for you styles (id est, guitar). I find this to be straining on the values and virtues of mankind. Giving up has never been in our history and I don't believe you should have it in your future.

That's how I would philosophically answer your question. In short, I would say don't give up. Maybe pick up another instrument to keep you motivated.
Quote by FbSa
No, different people use different styles. I personally try to learn every style I can, but most like to concentrate on one style. But I beg you not to limit yourself to one style. Kinda like Charlie Parker could play excellent. In one key, so he was laughed at. You can play great in one style, but it's not going to help when bands are looking for versitility. Good to the woodshed and learn some more styles, you don't have to be great at them, just litterate.

Sorry for the Jazz referances.

Never apologize for a Jazz reference! (Unless it's got something to do with 80's rock fusion fashion sense...)
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
mann! Jazz_rock_feel have my vote for the best reply I had this year!! thx man I think you really understood what I meant! I was just feeling strange that basically every band that I like the most plays with their fingers...lolll
Although the question was hardly philosophical (it was basically a "is playing with a pick okay" thread in disguise) FbSa's answer was quite scholarly.