I haven't played it, but that's tough to beat. They're giving you the stack for the price of the head. I'd turn around and sell the cab, and replace it with a nice 2x12, but that's me.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i keep wanting to play it, but ive never seen it in stock at any of the guitar stores i frequent. which sucks cause it seems like it would be nice, especially for the price it is at now. i have heard it has a darker voicing, which i am a fan of, so keep in mind you wont get that really bright tone. that is a great deal so i would recomend that you try to play one at a store in the next couple days to see if you like it.

now i just need to find $500...
Quote by jof1029
i keep wanting to play it, but ive never seen it in stock at any of the guitar stores i frequent.
Me too!

Quote by jof1029
i have heard it has a darker voicing, which i am a fan of, so keep in mind you wont get that really bright tone.
Where have you heard that it has a "darker" voicing?

That's a smokin' deal. I wasn't aware that the Epi SoCal had a 25-Watt mode. I've never been able to demo this head at any store either. I heard its distortion was more of a "blues-ey" kinda overdrive, and didn't really have the gain to do metal, so I never seriously considered it. But the 25-Watt mode is very interesting. If the Epi had enough gain to do metal (which, according to HC reviewers, it doesn't), then I would be sorry I just bought a 6505 for almost twice the price.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 12, 2007,
Great Amp, I have it.

Pros:
Great Tonal Range
Price
It's Actually pretty light (If you have too move it a lot
Gets loud
25 watt mode.

Cons:
Only 1 set of eq for clean and dist.
uh..

It's a great amp.
Quote by LEVEL4
Me too!

Where have you heard that it has a "darker" voicing?

i dont remember where i heard that it was a while ago when i was looking for a new amp and that one was newish on the market. i ended up with a different amp, but if they had that deal going on and the peavey classic 30 was priced the way it was now, i probably would have gotten the socal (or at least made a larger effort to try it). i remember reading about it a bunch, just dont remember much of what i read.
Quote by garrett5
Great Amp, I have it.

Pros:
Great Tonal Range
Price
It's Actually pretty light (If you have too move it a lot
Gets loud
25 watt mode.

Cons:
Only 1 set of eq for clean and dist.
uh..

It's a great amp.
Sounds great, but could you talk about the high-gain capability of this head a bit? Is there enough gain to do "numetal" without using a pedal in front of it? Also, could you describe the voicing a bit? (e.g., "bright," "dark," "Recto-ish," "Fenderish," etc.) Thanks.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Is it considered a tube amp?? Would it better than a VK 112?
My Gear:

Fender 62 RI Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Fender Supersonic
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss OS-2 OD/DS
Martin 000-28
Washburn D10s
Quote by swervin
Is it considered a tube amp?? Would it better than a VK 112?
The Epi SoCal is DEFINITELY a tube amp. It would more directly compare with the VK100 head (which I think sounds quite nice—although, the VK100 is just a tad shy in the gain department for metal).

Ive been using pedals rather than the VK distortion. I'm now considering returning my VK for this deal? What do you guys think?
My Gear:

Fender 62 RI Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Fender Supersonic
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss OS-2 OD/DS
Martin 000-28
Washburn D10s
They aren't bad for the price. Especially if your willing to do a little soldering. I've been treating mine like a bigger VJ
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by Doobergn
Heres a youtube review, to me it sounds really good. Would be perfect for what I like to play.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SHUjNcimakI
Thanks. Yes, it sounds great, but the guy never turned the gain knob past 4:00. So, even at 4:00 (whatever that really is), it's a bit shy of metal. Nice amp for blues, but not for me. IMHO, I would keep the VK—at least the VK100 I've played seems to have a tad more gain than the Epi SoCal. All depends on what you play, and what you like.

Yeah seems to be more of a Bluesy hard rock amp, maybe with a decent overdrive you could get a metal tone.
From what Ive heard its a decent amp, just the matching 4x12 cab is pretty crap. Flat and lifeless i think is how it was described to me when i asked about it.
Obviously if you stuck some decent speakers in the cab or bought a new cab you would probably be pretty well off..... but meh... I want the head...
It's pretty lame. My modded So-Cal 50 sounds pretty killer through decent cabs, especially for the price I paid ($300 AUD +$50 in assorted parts)
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by LEVEL4
Sounds great, but could you talk about the high-gain capability of this head a bit? Is there enough gain to do "numetal" without using a pedal in front of it? Also, could you describe the voicing a bit? (e.g., "bright," "dark," "Recto-ish," "Fenderish," etc.) Thanks.

It's pretty dark sounding, and it's got some gain to it, but not enough for the chugga chugga you want. It's more of a looser, slightly fuzzy sound. Sounds very good though, especially for so cheap a head.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
i've tried the grainger version. assuming it's the same, or at least very similar to the epi:

my thoughts were it was decent value as a back-up head, if you play mainly hard rock/classic rock/classic metal. if you already have a cab, £250 (as it is here) isn't bad for a decent, all-valve, reasonably versatile head.

it was a little noisier than I'd have liked, but the tone was decent.

So yeah, if what slats says about you getting the half-stack for the usual price of the head is true (and i don't see why it's not), that's probably a decent deal.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by LEVEL4

cleans were a bit sparklier than the blues twin (that's the blues custom for the epi version), but still pretty british.

Overdrive is, i guess, marshally/voxy. definitely british sounding. I wouldn't really want one for anything heavier than 80's hair metal/early 80's thrash/NWOBHM... and if you mainly play those, it still might not be tight enough.

As said, it's a nice amp, but not really a high gainer. though i admit I didn't crank it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?