I know a few scales, and I can write a solo. Its just that they sound horrible-they have no emotion in them at all, they're easy and they sound easy. How can I add emotion? Should I just keep writing and getting better? I can write ok-repeat licks, and I throw in trills and other things. Basicly-how can I write a great solo? How can I add emotion, and what are some small things to do to make them sound better? Thanks a ton.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

try learning sweep picking, this mabye a little advanced for you but it should open up somethings

also, try doing lots of bends, squeels (harmonics), slides, and add a few power chords in when your changing it up

thats all i can think of for now.....
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

MY STUFF
-Ibanez limited edition RG electric guitar
-Digitech RP250 multi effects
-Digitech DF-7Distortion Factory
-Marshall MG100 half stack
learn the formula of the scales your playing. and then make a crappy little drawing of it. Now highlight all of the notes that are formed by the chords your playing. like:
A = A-C#-E... and sutff like that. find out where those notes are in the scale and when the rythem guitarist is playing an A.... highlight your solo with those notes.
Tips:
- Highlight the 1st note in the chord to really connect your solo with the song.
- Highlight the 2nd note in the chord to emphisise the Emotion. (If the chord is major, it'll emphisise happyness and vise versa)
- If you want to end a phrase, highlite the 5th (or 3rd note) to bring the listener's ear wanting you to hit the 1st note of the chord. which is usually how 75% of people end their solo's and phrases within the song

I hope this helps. good luck!

if you don't know structure of a chord, learn it... cause it's really useful when making solos

P.S.= add non-chordal notes to add a dissonent feel to it and then coe back to the chordal notes this helps make your music push the listener away and pull him/her back into it. it's the opposite of someone talking in a single monotone voice.
Quote by vikramkr
I am trying to shred using power chords
I don't think that I've ever "written" a solo (well, maybe once, but it sucked), I improvise all of my solos. This is difficult at first (at least for me it was), but it really helps you convey what you are feeling.

Start by finding a song that you like - not to complicated - figure out what key it's in, and use the scales that you know. Just make sure that you are in the correct key.
Thanks a ton! What scales should I learn other than both pentonics, and obviously the major? I'm making progress on the blues scales, and I'm slowly learning the modes too. Anything else I should learn? And I'm just starting to improvise(but liking it), what can I do to improve at that? I know chord structure very well, so that sounds like it will work too, wolfbite. Thanks!
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

well for me i know when i started improving, i would just use strait pentatonic just in the first position, and my "solos" would sound very boring and strait forward, but i guess as time goes on they just get better. so i guess im saying is just keep tryin.
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
might i give a more esoteric answer?
i only read the first, half-sentence of your post
but i remember, my best stuff came from influences of HP Lovecraft stories
i search for music up and down and all over everywhere. and i find some stuff that genuinely captures my attention. so i'm not a curmudgeon or anything.
but if i can get it on digital i will

watch the movie 8-mile
seriously
Last edited by sethp at Nov 15, 2007,
you say it "sounds easy" thats because you're a guitarist and you're looking at it in terms of difficulty. a non musician (or even an openminded musician) isn't going to listen to something and go "wow that sounds easy" they should be listening and thinking "hey, that sounds good" regardless of the technicality of it. pink floyd i think is a perfect example of this. i've seen tons of solos tabbed out for tons of their songs, none of them really beyond what a 2 or 3 year guitarist could do, but they sound f#cking perfect and fit the song perfectly which i think is what everyone should be aiming for, not "how many notes can i shove in here" now if you can shove a lot of notes in and make it sound good then go for it, but at the same time if all it needs is a simple 4 or 5 note part or even just one note nailed and bent all to hell and it sounds perfect like that, then go with it. as for making it more emotive, i don't know what to tell you there. i don't think you can really teach emotions (other than the basic, major is happy, minor is sad etc etc)
Use bending! Very effective =)
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
the emotion comes after the technique.
once you have te technique sorted the emotion will flow and influence your playing.

Listen to emotional songs, see how they're done, and try and incorporate the style into your own playing.

Two of my favourite solos with emotion are "Lines in the Sand" by Dream Theater, and "Hollow Years" live at the budokan also by Dream Theater.

also players like joe satriani and steve vai incorporate emotion into some of the most technical licks like no-one ive ever heard.
Ok, I give this advice. Let's say you have a Dm-G progression. Track those chords up the neck, use their notes, add some extra hammerons, slides, pullofs whatever... Do some bends, just see what fits, if you follow the chords, you will maintain the melody, and you won't get lost.

Just me.
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
This one is easy. Dont worry about trying to come with a solo. Just get a basic feel and follow the steps in my signature....
- Play it from your heart, to the tips of your fingers
Bending and vibrato... Legato... Shredding... Contrasting from playing on both high and low registers... Soloing with octaves... Finger tapping... Playing in 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths, and 7ths...

You could also add tons of different flavors if you experiment with your 7 modes of your major scale and 5 modes of your pentatonic scale...

Go crazy and out of control like Eddie Van Halen. Whenever you hit a wrong note, bend it up to the right note.

Hope that helps.
blues is a great way to start writing solos. Take a blues song that you like, learn it note for note so you begin to understand its structure, and then take your knowlege of the blues scale and just play randomly over the top. If you create something that sounds good, take that and try to add more onto it. After doing this for a while, youll be able to take a song and recognize where its going, and hear patterns that will allow you to create a solo.
I know a lot of people in here won't agree with me, but I definitely recommend learning solos note for note to get a feel for what other people do. Learn a couple of your favourites, then when you go to improvise or write your own you'll find yourself with ideas you never had before.
Gretsch 5120
Marshall TSL60/1936 Cab (2x12 Celestion)
Pedal Train:
Vox Wah / Boss TU2 / Ibanez TS9 / Boss GE7 EQ / Boss NS2 / Line 6 DL4

Proud owner of possibly the only good Fender acoustic...
Whitehouse definitely has one way to go... I think, though, that at the same time you should be developing on your own. Or else you'll end up being another cover lead guitarist.