I remember someone here saying that the dual rec sounded "shrilly"...i never understood until this past weekend. My dual rec sound very shrilly and very mushy. i was thinking about putting EL34 in it to hopefully make it sound tighter. what should i do? also, are 12AT7 less gain than the 12AX7? Ive had it for a year and 4 months, and i still cant get a good sound from it. the again, people say its hard too.

thanks,

JJ
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Sorry I really don't have a solution to your problem, just bumping/posting to compliment you on your band, you guys are awesome.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I think that it's preference. To me, I see no difference in most distortions. Be it pedals, or tubes. There will be the nay sayers in this one, but I don't really care. Mark Tremonti's tone is awesome IMO. He's one of the reasons I bought the Dual Rectifier (although he uses a Triple). I love the balls to the wall gain!

Let me put it this way, IF you can play, the amp nor the guitar will matter.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Just EQ it right. My Triple Rec has never sounded "shrilly" or "thin". Then again I have my mids almost dimed.

Whats your EQ like?
^presence: 9 o' clock.
gain: 1 o' clock (almost 2).
bass: 10 o' clock.
mid: 11 o'clock.
treble: 12 o' clock.

and to tr3nt, thank you!
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
El34s would make it 'looser' not tighter. And a 12AT7 has less gain than an AX7, Mesa owners tend to use them to reduce the amount of preamp gain and so widen out the amp's tone. It gives a bit more of a soft, vintage stype sound but means you can't get quite as much distortion out of the amp alone.

To be honest it's likely to just be that your power valves have reached the end of their useful life - if you gig regularly at high volumes, a year and 4 months is quite a long time...
Turn the bass treble and presence up just a little bit and crank the mids up it will thicken your tone up good

Oh and to whoever said you cant hear the difference in Different amps OD you must be deaf. Clearly you are you like Tremontis tone. That washed up has been his tone is all mush
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Mesa boogies are really touchy amps. It's unhealthy to turn the treble on them over 75% ever, and diming the mids makes it sound even worse.
diming is the same as turning the mids down? or up?
Quote by NeverMeant
Most modern gain amps are the same ENGLs , my 6505 and new carvin v3, you really have to watch the his and pres
Quote by sloppyjoe109
^presence: 9 o' clock.
gain: 1 o' clock (almost 2).
bass: 10 o' clock.
mid: 11 o'clock.
treble: 12 o' clock.

and to tr3nt, thank you!

Well, try my settings:
(o'clock)
Pres: none
Bass: 1
Mids: 2
High: 1
Gain: 2ish

The thing about Rectos is that the less gain you have the thinner it gets. Also, I dont turn up the presence at all. For me thats what makes my tone sound thin, scratchy and gross...BUT every ones set up is different. If your tone is too mooshy, use the high and presence together to bring up the clarity...dont just crank the highs or the presence. If its too shrilly, bring up the bass and pull back on the highs.
Rectos are really touchy, and remember that they have active EQs, basically meaning that when you adjust one setting it effects the whole board.
Put some JJ high gain preamp tubes in. 12AX7s are going to have the most gain, and boldness. Huge improvement in tone. JJ power tubes might help as well.

Is it shrilly for rhythms, leads, cleans, metal, blues...? If you want better cleans you can put an AT7 in the clean channel preamp tube socket. Better speaker cables, warmer cabinets/speakers, better instrument cables can affect it positively too.

Is your amp on bold or spongy? IMO, boogies feel much more natural on spongy, not quite as aggressive, but a bit smoother, and fuller.

A power attenuator might help as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
my amp is on bold....i also havent had time to try the silicon diode mode....so ill just mess with it more....ill look into different tubes too. thanks guys.

Quote by NeverMeant