I don't think anyone says it can't get heavy. It's just one of the few amps that you can practically dime the gain, and it still sounds good.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I agree with you on that, as soon as I heard this video I just fell in love with how awesome it sounded, I guess you can only get that sound with 2 Mark IV's since Mark is using them?
nah, imo that tone is definitely possible to get close to without having to use 2. You'd want a boost/OD pedal to shape it a little, but it's definitely attainable.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Hey do you guys think I can get this kind of tone on the Mark IV by using the V shape with the graphic EQ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOb6JSQd-Qw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvzfVrq-g3M&feature=related

I know these cannibal corpse use rectos and decapitated use 5150 but Im just wondering because if possible that would be great! Also with the tightness the Mark IV has it should sound way better
Last edited by swordsman14 at Nov 15, 2007,
having it loud also makes it more br00tal

my profile thingy has a heavy clip of the mark if you wanna check that out.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Hey that was a cool clip of "My Curse", it was very tight and not loose at all. Since
you have a Mark IV, how tight can this amp get anyways? I've been attracted to this amp due to hearing about how tight it can get and never get loose. Also that's the kind of amp I really need a very,very tight amp that will sound awesome at drop tunings and never get muddy.

Thanks!
^^^ im not sure if Decap uses 5150's. They might have on the new album, but im almost positive on the other albums they weren't 5150's.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Quote by swordsman14
Hey that was a cool clip of "My Curse", it was very tight and not loose at all. Since
you have a Mark IV, how tight can this amp get anyways? I've been attracted to this amp due to hearing about how tight it can get and never get loose. Also that's the kind of amp I really need a very,very tight amp that will sound awesome at drop tunings and never get muddy.

Thanks!

thanks, the bass was at a pretty low setting. erock suggested the settings from what he saw from mark morton's settings actually haha.

low bass, medium mids, and higher treble keep the sound pretty tight. the mark can get flabby if you add too much bass, i'm thinking bass: 5 mids: 7 treble: 7 has a little too much bass and it can mud up. i think the settings there were bass: 3 mids: 5 treble: 6 to keep the palm mutes pretty tight.

edit: oh jeeze, the mids were scooped a little using the graphic eq. classic smiley face shape ha.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Nov 15, 2007,
That's awesome! How would you compare the tightness of the Mark IV to a Roadster or Recto? I would guess the Mark IV would be WAY tighter but I just want to know what you have to say about that. Also , I kind of find it odd that if you have bass over 3 it starts to mud up, I mean whats the point of having the bass knob up to 10 I believe if its going to mud up quickly? Unless you don't have the 5 band EQ on, right? I've been thinking about getting the medium head only because I don't think I would need to rackmount anything, do you think Im making a right choice, or should I go with another format of the Mark IV?
hm, yeah i suppose. i'm sure there are ways around it, but for heavy tight palm muting, the bass should stay relatively low.

and i haven't played a recto to a satisfactory amount, it hasn't been very loud so it was kinda thin and not so ballsy. i'm sure with the right eq'ing, a recto could do heavy in-your-face palm mutes with more balls than the mark iv can. but tight? nah, i don't think the recto was meant to be tight haha. it could be if you wanted, but i dunno if it's what the amp would want.

and i haven't seen a roadster/roadking in person
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
hm, yeah i suppose. i'm sure there are ways around it, but for heavy tight palm muting, the bass should stay relatively low.

and i haven't played a recto to a satisfactory amount, it hasn't been very loud so it was kinda thin and not so ballsy. i'm sure with the right eq'ing, a recto could do heavy in-your-face palm mutes with more balls than the mark iv can.

Yeah I agree with you on that, but I bet it can never get close to the versatality of the Mark IV though . Im into a lot of Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses,Kiss, Misfits, etc. kind of like that old school rock kind of music so Im hoping that the Mark IV should do it better than the rectos right? Sorry if Im asking too many questions but it seems you know so much about the amp .
haha it's alright. i really don't know much about the amp yet, as i've only had it about a month.

the rhythm 2 channel on it's own could do old school rock very well, and solos can scream with an OD pedal. i thought the lead channel would only do heavy metal type tones, but so far i find it's more capable of straight-up rock tones than metal. might also be because i don't play much metal ha.

i don't wanna bash on rectos, because they've got something unique about them, and excel in heavy modern tones. their vintage side is very nice too though, so it depends how you play them. the cleans on the mark are much better i must admit though
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Yeah, also I wanted to mention I've been hearing about the Mark IIC+ and the Mark III being better than the Mark IV so I have been doing a lot of research on the Mark series amps, now Im not so sure which Mark amp to get since I have a gut feeling thats the ytpe of amp for me. I would think the Mark IV would be better due to more options and also getting close to many of the other sounds of the Mark amps, but I want to know what you say about that.

Thanks man, your so helpful!

Oh yeah and if your wondering about the moden metal tone for Mark IV's look at this awesome video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcdMZczWb5Q

The tone is soooo tight and heavy!

I was wondering how does the volume make the Mark IV even more "brutal"?
Last edited by swordsman14 at Nov 16, 2007,
Yeah, also I wanted to mention I've been hearing about the Mark IIC+ and the Mark III being better than the Mark IV so I have been doing a lot of research on the Mark series amps, now Im not so sure which Mark amp to get since I have a gut feeling thats the ytpe of amp for me. I would think the Mark IV would be better due to more options and also getting close to many of the other sounds of the Mark amps, but I want to know what you say about that.

Thanks man, your so helpful!

Oh yeah and if your wondering about the moden metal tone for Mark IV's look at this awesome video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcdMZczWb5Q

The tone is soooo tight and heavy!

I was wondering how does the volume make the Mark IV even more "brutal"?
i saw that vid and i realized who mark morton was haha.

and for some reason, it helps to have the output level up a little bit, at low levels it's fine, but at medium levels it seems like it's not all there. once it starts getting jam-level loud the lead channel really opens up and kinda thumps your chest haha.

you're gonna have to try those out if you can. the mark IIC+ is probably the most sought-after of all the marks, and very expensive these days ($2500+). the mark III has less tweakability for each channel, but the tone is still all there.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
i saw that vid and i realized who mark morton was haha.

and for some reason, it helps to have the output level up a little bit, at low levels it's fine, but at medium levels it seems like it's not all there. once it starts getting jam-level loud the lead channel really opens up and kinda thumps your chest haha.

you're gonna have to try those out if you can. the mark IIC+ is probably the most sought-after of all the marks, and very expensive these days ($2500+). the mark III has less tweakability for each channel, but the tone is still all there.

$2500 seems like a whole lot for the Mark IIC+, I think I would stick with the Mark IV since its more versatile I believe, but why is the Mark IIC+ is more expensive than the Mark IV though? Hey I was thinking about getting the medium head, but I'm not so sure if I should go with it or not and maybe go with some other format of the Mark IV, what do you think?

Thanks again UnsignedRecords, I could count on you, plus I love those clips of the Mark IV, keep on posting soundclips or maybe a video of the Mark IV on youtube.
i haven't played a mark IIC+, but i've heard it's the smoothest of all ha.

here's a description sorta thing that i kept.
http://home.earthlink.net/~ayan/history.htm

i preferred to go with the head + 2x12 format because it's easier to work with and sexier looking (than a 1x12 or 4x12).

i'm trying to get some more clips up, but it's a pretty tedious process in my case haha.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I agree the Mark IV is an awesome amp, but I can't stand the LoG tone.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Hey UnsignedRecords, when you were talking about which head to buy, do you mean the medium head or short head? I never knew the Mark IIC+ was known as the smoothest Mark of them all either, I thought it was the Mark IV. By the way, I remember that you said as you turn up the volume on the Mark IV, it becomes more "brutal". How is that so, I kind of get the reason why but what makes the Mark sound heavy at higher volumes while I hear people say it can sound heavy at low volumes if you lower the wattage of the amp?
Last edited by swordsman14 at Nov 16, 2007,
Quote by swordsman14
Hey UnsignedRecords, when you were talking about which head to buy, do you mean the medium head or short head? I never knew the Mark IIC+ was known as the smoothest Mark of them all either, I thought it was the Mark IV.

uhm, i went with the medium head just because of the lead voicing switch on the front. i tend to switch it up a lot and wouldn't wanna keep reaching around back for it. i've never heard a mark IIC+ in person, anyway, but i've heard wonderful things. did you read that page?
Quote by swordsman14
By the way, I remember that you said as you turn up the volume on the Mark IV, it becomes more "brutal". How is that so, I kind of get the reason why but what makes the Mark sound heavy at higher volumes while I hear people say it can sound heavy at low volumes if you lower the wattage of the amp?

haha, i was just making a bit of a joke, it's not a huge difference, but the feel and response seems a little different when it's past 2. and you could switch it to 15watts, and really get the powertubes going, but it'd still be hella loud. it'd fit better in a jam setting.

anyway, it can sound heavy for sure, you just have to know how to dial it in. i'm still getting the hang of it, but i'm not so eager because i'm not much of a metal guy.

edit: make sure to delete that second post btw.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Alright I deleted the post, thanks for all of your help UnsignedRecords, your very helpful!
ha, no problem
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Another thing, I have been thinking that since Mesa amps are tweaker amps, can't you get a really tight tone with the Roadster or Recto amp and sound as tight as the Mark IV? Or will the Recto/Roadster amps never get as tight as the Mark IV? I'm wondering why is that I keep hearing that the Mark IV is VERY TIGHT but I still need help regarding to the other Mesa amps because I want my purchase to be worth it and not to have to buy another amp and sell the other one.

Thanks
uhhh... people tend to exaggerate. i say that because i can't imagine super tightness. and rectos could be dialed in for a tight tone, but i doubt it's their main focus.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

So do you think the Mark IV is much tighter? I have a feeling so but why? Yeah I want that heavy sound but I need the clarity and the tightness so...
ah i haven't played a recto extensively enough to make a correct opinion. it's a lot easier for me to get a thicker heavy tone (without cranking it much) on the mark IV, which fills out the bass while keeping it tight.

i couldn't get a thick tone through the dual and triple rectos i played, but i'm pretty sure it's my own fault.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Well i guess you cant get a thick tone through the rectos due to their high wattage, but I keep hearing that their mostly full of "whoomp" instead of tightness, I heard they can only get tight if you use a OD pedal. Like the triple rectos,150 watts is too much. But I think I might go along with the Mark IV instead of the rectos and the Mark IIC+ too. Hey UnsignedRecords, I have "GAS" for the Mark IV and can you give me lots of info on the amp that will really make want to get it please?
haha, my best advice for you is to go out and play some amps among the mark. when i first played it for an hour, i was dead set on getting one. it might be different for you, maybe there's other amps that give a more focused and dedicated brutal tone for your tastes.

not trying to be a buzzkill, but it's hella important that you get out there and try tons of amps!
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I know, Im going to try many amps but I have done a lot of research to figure out what amps to buy. I was thinking about ENGL but no one dosen't sell them in my area plus I don't want to buy them of the internet because I won't be able to try them out first. But yeah I have done a lot of research on amps and I have a feeling that I'm a Mesa/Boogie kind of guy. I was going to get the Peavey 5150 but it is limited in versatality. But yeah there are many amps like Marshall and VHT and etc. but I have a feeling Im going to get some kind of Mesa/Boogie amp. I'll go to the Mesa Boogie Hollywood dealer and try the amps over there. But Hey UnsignedRecords, I have "GAS" for the Mark IV and can you give me lots of info on the amp that will really make want to get it please?
ha okie, as long as you try some other stuff out.

there's too much stuff to say about the mark. it's pretty sweet at everything.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

The amp is a whole new monster, the thing can literally handle jazz to brootal tones. I own one, believe me, the thing can go ANYWHERE.
Quote by hightension01
its called

hypocrasy
One more thing UnsignedRecords, can you post any videos of your Mark IV please in action? That would be awesome!
ah sorry, i haven't had a working video camera in years. and camera mics suck anyway haha.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

People have been saying that the Mark IV would'nt be able to get this kind of tone here by Entombed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNQve866m0g

But I think it could but only the Mark IV will do it even better, don't you think its true because I have done TONS of research about the amp and I have a feeling the Mark IV can get this heavy tone right, just to be verified?
Quote by Green_Jelly
I agree the Mark IV is an awesome amp, but I can't stand the LoG tone.

I have seen them live, and they might as well be playing MG's. I swear I could have just walked out just because of their tone. (doesn't help that the music was rubbish though)
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX