are there any real advantages to spending about 100 dollars more to get a 4x12 cab with 4 vintage 30's over a 2x12 cab with 2 vintage 30's?
depends if you want severe hearing loss or not.
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
well, two vintage 30s would be $200. so u'd be saving $100 in that purchase.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by metalxcore
i'd say go for the 4x12 if you don't mind lugging a cab that size around.

what advantages are there? btw, 100 dollars is a lot for me
better bass response...i prefer 2 12s. easier to move
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Better/tighter bass response, better sound dispersion. I prefer 4x12s, theyre better for gigging IMO. Its really no louder or anything.
^ true. i just think 2 12s are sexii though

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
lol Ive never been able to see 2x12s as sexy for some reason. Only with vintage gear do I drool over a 2x12 cab. Wait I take that back...only if its an Orange cab. Anything by Orange I just want to hump it all day and party with it at night.

My Triple Recto halfstack makes me weak in the knees...
^ well metal amps deserve a 4 12. but everything i want looks sexy as a 2 12. oranges, Dr. Zs, matamps, /13, you know the tipical blusey rock ish amps. mmm 2 12s

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Yeah, that kind of stuff is ok.

I dont play metal at all with my Recto. I play more rockish stuff (Alient Ant Farm, Mae, Blindside, Foo Fighters...etc.) but I still love that s00per tight, responsive bass from a 4x12.
oh ok. i like clean bluesy stuff

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ssguitar
^ well metal amps deserve a 4 12. but everything i want looks sexy as a 2 12. oranges, Dr. Zs, matamps, /13, you know the tipical blusey rock ish amps. mmm 2 12s

+1. 2x12s make a valve junior look sexy.
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
The Mesa's with 2 horizontal 2x12's is a sick setup. I hope to have that with Orange's one day....one day.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
^ haha yea. im cant decide between the Rocker 30 and the Dr. Z galaxie with a 2 12 tone tubby cab....mmm delicious tone

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Id say go with the Dr. Z with Tone Tubby cab if you like clean bluesy stuff. If you think youd ever need an amp with a lot of gain if you need it, Id go with the Rocker 30.
i was thinkin that. because im going to keep my marshall 2 12 combo

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ssguitar
^ haha yea. im cant decide between the Rocker 30 and the Dr. Z galaxie with a 2 12 tone tubby cab....mmm delicious tone

Yeah there's a nice Rocker 30 on ebay that's really tempting me. I don't NEED it, but sure would I like to have it.
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
well it will be like a year or so before i can afford it. gotta save every single penny

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
See I can afford it, but until I start playing in an actual band or outside of my house, I don't feel the need for 30 watts.
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Quote by racerXazn
depends if you want severe hearing loss or not.

Amount of speakers hasn't anything to do with the volume...

That's the business of the poweramp in the head (or combo).
doesn't it go liek this...if you have a..example.. 40 watt head/combo, and connect it to a 4x12, 10 watts will go into each speaker?
that means the signal would be really clear thru a 320 watt cab right? because im getting an extension cab for my 40 watt valved dsl. and then when i get money, up comes the dsl50.
I currently use a Laney cabinet (mid-80's) that is equipped with two Eminence Legend V12's. The bass response is less muddy (I prefer a crisp attack out of my speakers), and the volume is more than adequate. That, and I can use one arm to lug the damn thing around! During 15+ years of playing, I have owned probably 12 cabinets - from a 5150 cab to $200 Crate cabs, to custom-built jobs to a Marshall 1965A 4x10, , and I have even gigged with a single 80 watt Rocktron High-definition speaker in a open-back combo-amp box, attatched to my 120 watt head (thru a PA, of course). The thing is, equipment choice, ESPECIALLY cabinet choice and speaker choice, are as individual as handwriting... in other words, It all translates, but some of it sucks more than others, right (in terms of quality)? What you buy should depend on what you want to sound like, too. Alot of equipment is 'voiced'. Go ahead, start a thread on THAT one (if one does not exist already), it's a good subject to understand when trying to or thinking about buying equipment.
unless you gig regularly in places of 100-500 people, there really is no point and will not be noticed in sound dif. live
I prefer 2x12's most of the time. I've never run into a situation where I needed the extra volume because practice situations were never too loud (only guitar player) and any larger sized venue will mic the cab. The extra bass is fairly negligible when it comes down to it, and if you're using good speakers. 412s for my money, are too heavy for any benefits I could get.

Avatar Cabs make a hell of a 212. they're a little beefier than most and you've got your choice of speakers
It'd look cooler, well if your into that METALZROZ look, tbh, if your going for a halfstack, you probably have more than enough power alone allready without needing to get a 412 to push more air.
Quote by mrmarc772
412=stage presence

No. STACKS UPON STACKS = stage presence - and practicality is more important than THAT. Get my drift?
Quote by mrmarc772
412=stage presence

what about SRV?

stacks sometimes = sucking i.e motley crue (ok, they are a bit of fun, but no SRV)
Quote by TehJermie
4x12s just sound better for about 90% of what i do.

Same.

Both have their advantages over the other, its up to the buyer to decide whats best for him.
Celestion V30 speakers are $110 a piece, if the 4x12 cab is only $100 more...thats kinda wierd...

2x12s are generally are tighter, usually cheaper, always lighter, has more mids, and allows you to crank the amp up a bit more without having uncontrollable bass.

4x12s are heavier, usually more expensive, have a fuller tone, less controllable bass, more power handling, slightly more volume overall.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio