Hello All-
I've been practicing with my first guitar for a few weeks now, and really enjoy it. I'm working on beginner basics such as scales, chords, strumming patterns, fingering exercises, and learning easy song tabs. The big question that is really eluding me right now concerns playing songs that are tabbed with scales written above the lyrics. Now that I am starting to get a little comfortable with a few chords I'd like to begin learning these songs, rather than just the very simple one-dimensional songs I've been using thus far.

I understand what the scales are and how to make them, I just need some tips about how to go about playing songs with them. For example, many songs don't have a chord written above the first word on a line, the chords might be above a word toward the middle and another toward the end. How do you know how to start playing this line? How would you know the strumming pattern or how many times to play each chord?

It would be a great help to me, and I'm sure a few other newbs, if someone could explain in simple terms how to play a song tabbed this way using some lines from a great song that uses just a couple easy chords tabbed on this site by Deccaz:

BARRACUDA, BY HEART

E C
So this ain't the end - I saw you again today
E
I had to turn my heart away
C
Smile like the Sun - kisses for ev'ry one
E
and tales - it never fails!

CHORUS 1
C E
You lying so low in the weeds
C E
I bet you gonna ambush me
D A
You'd have me down, down, down, down on my knees
(tacet) E F# G
Now wouldn't you, Barracuda?

Any hints, tips, or explanations would be greatly appreciated, so thanks to anyone who would like to contribute!

ETA: Criminy, I can't even paste the tabs right--the chords didn't show up in the right places when I pasted the song. Here's the link:

Barracuda
Last edited by road.kill at Nov 12, 2007,
The people who made that tab (Barracuda) got a little lazy, that's all, and didn't bother to specify where the chords 'exactly' are, so your only solution is to listen to the song and figure out where the chord changes occur and how many strums or strumming pattern, whatever.

Good luck
Well tabs aren't the same as sheet music so never expect it to be accurate. When you see the letter above the words, that is just usually telling you what chord the guitar is playing during that part of the lyrics. If you listen to the song you should be able to figure out when to play the chord, and the strumming pattern.
My Gear:
Gibson ES-335 (Dot)
ESP LTD MH-100QMNT
Spider III 75W
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Crybaby Wah
Epi Valve Junior Half stack
DS-1
Line 6 Floor Pod (FOR SALE!!!)
And by the way, she's using a whammy bar it sounds like and maybe a flanger effect in that song (I just listened to the beginning).
My Gear:
Gibson ES-335 (Dot)
ESP LTD MH-100QMNT
Spider III 75W
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Crybaby Wah
Epi Valve Junior Half stack
DS-1
Line 6 Floor Pod (FOR SALE!!!)