I can't stand this anymore! I can write GREAT chord progressions but come on people.....how many progressions are left out there....

I'm tired of making songs just out of chords.

I want to start making rock riffs. I have no idea how though...Do I just fumbled with notes until it sounds good?

AND I'm talking about NOTE riffs....not riffs made up of chords.

PLEASE HELP! THANKS
Use scales. Fool around with the scales until you come up with something that sounds catchy. Then write out the notes and put chords to it. For a bridge go to the relative minor/major and come up with something there. Just a basic idea.
this may sound cheesy, but... ONE MUST ROCK to write a good rock riff.... that probably doesn't help, but what i mean is that sometimes you just need to find a fun little pattern to play nice and loud that doesn't pay any attention to what key it's in, and more on how it sounds, and how it makes you feel.

I often write riffs by just playing random crap till i hear two or three notes in a row that i like, and then i go from there. once i have a nice little part, i'll see if i can figure out what key and scale i'm using, which makes it easier to add parts.
Use the penatonic scales, blues scale, major and minor scales ... improvise with them. Learn lots of riffs other people have written - especially catchy ones - and write variations of them.
try jamming along with some songs in a style you like and fool around a bit. that's how I've come up with some good ones
Keep the change, pimps don't jangle
Yeah I find it hard too. That's why Jimmy Page is a genius, he just pumped out those winning licks. I find that you need to be in the right groove. So let's say one day you're really in a rock "vibe" (its hard to explain), pick up the guitar and something will come to you, as long as you know a few scales. Also, use the same scales as certain Zeppelin or other rock songs.
Quote by Radio Addict
I can't stand this anymore! I can write GREAT chord progressions but come on people.....how many progressions are left out there....

Chord progressions are used and reused all the time.

Quote by Radio Addict
I'm tired of making songs just out of chords.

Guess what? That's how all songs are written.

Quote by Radio Addict
AND I'm talking about NOTE riffs....not riffs made up of chords.

When you write a progression, try laying a melody over it. It makes writing melodies a lot easier. How do you write them? Here's a little tip that helps a lot. Stay in the chord. For example, if the chord is A minor, don't end on a D.
No matter what scales will you use. Most important thing is to learn how to fit riff into bars.
For start don't use more than 1 octave.
Play with drum beat. Or even just imagine some drum beat.
Learn other people riffs.
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant
Just practice improving and see what you come up with? Play over your favourite song or something...but be careful not to rip it off!
Mess with scales like everyone else said, cept i don't like the pentatonic scale:/ everything i write using that usually sounds like something else or sounds like crap, probably cuz i can't get that creative with 'emXD I prefer the major scale or dif modes of it.
The most important thing needed to rock isn't knowledge, or speed, it's motivation, and a sense of determination!
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Think of a riff in your head, then play it on your guitar
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums