my friend got this old Cort guitar from his neighbor who said that it was his first guitar. so i guess the strat-style guitar is between 15-30 years old at least. which makes it pretty damn old. and it looks cheap on top of that. so i thought, this would be a perfect opportunity to customize it.

i wish i had some pictures, but maybe i will in a few days. but i know a shop in the city that builds custom guitars (my friend got a bass from them) and i had a chance to visit them once and i think they'd be happy to help out.

so like i said, its a strat-style guitar, very light weight body, two single coil pickups, a Bigsby style vibrato (not a true Bigsby... just big and cumbersome like one), 21 fret bolt-on neck. 2 volume knobs, 1 tone. no selector switch. also, no back panels on the guitar at all, which i found odd.

now, most everything is rusted on this thing, including parts of the vibrato, the input jack, the tuning keys, and almost every screw in the body.

the neck has a gloss finish on the back. i cant tell what kind of wood it is, but its kind of red-ish. anyway, there are a few deep scratches in the neck and the frets look a little worn, so i might just replace it altogether if its cheaper then restoring it.

i want to get rid of the vibrato and put in a Floyd Rose, or maybe just a stop tail piece if i cant afford the Floyd Rose. it needs new bridge sattles (old ones are missing).

the body has some scratches in it, so it needs to be sanded down. then id like to put a new paint job on it. its already black with a black pick guard on top, so i might keep the pick guard and maybe paint it wine red.

i also had the idea of replacing the pickups (no brainer, the wiring is probably rusted to hell). gonna go with Seymour Duncans. SHR-1(Hot Rail) for the neck and replace the bridge with a humbucker SH-4 (JB). which means they will need to cut a bigger whole. id also like to have a selector switch installed.

so, this is one big experiment for me. im actually pretty excited. my only question is, how much do you think this will cost me? the bass my friend got from this shop was only $200, i believe... and considering they built it themselves, thats not bad. so im hoping this wont bankrupt me (and my friend, its his guitar). i think the pickups are the most expensive part, but i could be wrong.

if you guys know how much this will run me, that will help out alot. and if you know the price of the parts i need as well, please list them (the pups will be around $150 together). thank you in advance.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
^well, in that case would it be cheaper to restore the neck and buy new tuners?

Quote by Pikka Bird
^Wiring doesn't rust...

oh...

well, you learn something everyday. still, im willing to bet the pickups are shot.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Quote by Pikka Bird
^Wiring doesn't rust...

Cort Owners, Activate!

I wouldn't doubt your body is plywood, one of my Cort's has a plywood body.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
yeah, it wouldnt surprise me. does that make my efforts futile?

EDIT: it also might be worth noting that the shop i want to take this project to is called DiPinto Guitars. i thought they were just a local shop, but apparently (after viewing their site) they have dealers all around the country and sell their guitars on Musician's Friend. but they are still a small family owned company, operating out of Philadelphia, PA (where i am).

oh well, i thought that was interesting.
Quote by Article

Last edited by PaperStSoapCo at Nov 13, 2007,
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

oh...

well, you learn something everyday. still, im willing to bet the pickups are shot.

yes wire is generally made out of copper, a non-ferrous metal which doesn't rust, it might corrode but it's not called rust.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
ok, well can anybody else give me an opinion on how much this is going to cost me considering all the things id like to do with it? or how much some of the individual parts might cost?

thank you!
Quote by Article