Which is a better amp? Considering both amp distortion or using pedals. For heavy rock and alt rock.
My Gear:

Fender 62 RI Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Fender Supersonic
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss OS-2 OD/DS
Martin 000-28
Washburn D10s
interesting question. the so cal is a bit more british-sounding, the VK a bit more american, if that helps. I haven't tried them head to head, so wouldn't really like to call it on a "which is better" kinda thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I bought a VK and I'm not sure if I like it. I think I need more than one 12" speaker which is why I'm looking at the So cal. The head and cab is only 500 right now on musicansfriend.
My Gear:

Fender Supersonic
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss OS-2 OD/DS
Martin 000-28
Washburn D10s
In before everyone jumps on the "I hate VK" bandwagon.

It's probably pretty close with the genre you specified, the Epi being, as Dave said, more British voiced. I can only vouch for the VK because that's the only one I've owned, and I think the VK can do Heavy and Alternate rock pretty easily, as I find it over-gained for such things. Speaker can sound a bit flubby for metal, but rock it does fine.

Before you say it, I'm swapping my speaker out, as I play metal on it.
Quote by swervin
I bought a VK and I'm not sure if I like it. I think I need more than one 12" speaker which is why I'm looking at the So cal. The head and cab is only 500 right now on musicansfriend.

i'd say it's best if you can try it. i wouldn't say it's head and shoulders better... much like the valveking, i'd say it's "decent for the price"...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah there isn't a So Cal within 100 miles of me to try out. My options are limited.
My Gear:

Fender Supersonic
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss OS-2 OD/DS
Martin 000-28
Washburn D10s
how good of a deal is the so-cal? I'm guessing if it's a good enough deal, you could go with the so-cal, and if you don't like it, you could maybe go back to the VK for little or no loss. But that's always risky...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?